I also posted this to IGN to see what others think about this idea.
As I've been thinking about what Sony intends to do for its next gen console, it has bothered me about the fact that they might introduce a tablet-like controller, if they want to compete with Nintendo on that front. It bothers me mostly from the stand-point that Sony has this incredible little device that I love dearly called the Vita.
The Vita simply wouldn't work as THE controller for the PS4 for a number of reasons:
1. The lack of R3/L3 buttons
2. The lack of haptic feedback
3. The lack of L2, R2 triggers
4. The smaller size/mobility in the dual analog sticks.
However, I see a potential solution to this dilemma in Sony developing a controller in which the Vita can mount into for the second screen/touch screen features. There are definitely some pros and cons to this idea. First the pros:
1. This gives Sony the chance to directly compete with the Wii U, leaving MS (if they choose not to follow suit) as the odd-man out.
2. Increasing the install-base of the PS Vita. This would require a Vita pack-in with each console, of course (which will lead to some cons). Higher install base means developers will be more willing to develop great games for the Vita/crossplay.
3. This would open up a whole new avenue for the "transfarring" model used in the MGS HD Collection, in addition to some of the innovative possibilities we have seen with the WiiU.
Now the cons:
1. Expense. This would be an expensive pack-in for Sony and it would be expensive for consumers in purchasing a second, third, etc part-controller. Next generation, Sony cannot afford to launch another console with a $600 price tag.
2. Risk. Would this be enough to sway consumers to purchase stand-alone Vita software? Is this feature even necessary for the next-gen PlayStation?
3. Bulkiness of such a controller. The Vita is a fairly good-sized handheld and a controller designed to incorporate a Vita into it would necessarily be large and bulky.
I'd like to hear some of your opinions. If nothing else, it's simply an idea.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Sorry for the rather blunt reply up there.
Anyway, there is a dedicated suggestion box for you to pitch in your suggestions: http://share.blog.us.playstation.com
This is the route to go!