Jul 28 2013
By: HaRiS37 Lombax Warrior 217 posts

When will PlayStation 3 servers shut down?

[ Edited ]
17 replies 82037 views Edited Jun 24, 2014

Hey guys, well I didn't really participate in PS forums until now, July 28, at 3:15 A.M. 

Note: My profile says I joined on November 11, 2012, however that is wrong. I purchased my first PS3 in 2010, and in 2012 summer I was on vacay in London, my PS3, and a bunch of other games, accesories etc. got stolen... that was over an estimated over $650 loss. 

My question is when will Sony shut down PS3 servers? My buddy said that they will shut it down in 2016, and if thats the case, I'll buy my Ps4 in 2016. I mean, I just recently bought a new Ps3  again... I gotta use it more. 

Thanks in advance guys.

Mod Edit: Added label. Click here for more info on labels

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

Message 1 of 18 (82,037 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5489 posts

Re: When will PlayStation 3 servers shut down?

Jul 28, 2013

HaRiS37 wrote:

Hey guys, well I didn't really participate in PS forums until now, July 28, at 3:15 A.M. 

Note: My profile says I joined on November 11, 2012, however that is wrong. I purchased my first PS3 in 2010, and in 2012 summer I was on vacay in London, my PS3, and a bunch of other games, accesories etc. got stolen... that was over an estimated over $650 loss. 

My question is when will Sony shut down PS3 servers? My buddy said that they will shut it down in 2016, and if thats the case, I'll buy my Ps4 in 2016. I mean, I just recently bought a new Ps3  again... I gotta use it more. 

Thanks in advance guys.

You buddy is BSing you. Noone knows if or when Sony will stop supporting PSN for PS3.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 2 of 18 (82,034 Views)
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Jul 28, 2013

You have a LONG time till anything happens to the servers. They just recently stopped producing Ps2's, so that was around 12 years. Expect the Ps3 to be around that long.

Message 3 of 18 (82,026 Views)
Lombax Warrior
217 posts

Jul 28, 2013

I actually think Sony doesn't shut down servers all together. I think its a specific game. For example: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs was released in 2006, six years later its server shut down, yet it was very popular. 

Sometimes the game company shuts down the servers. Luckily for me, who only plays Battlefield, Battlefield 4's servers will continue for PS3, maybe discontinue for Xbox 360 after six years... why? Take a look at Battlefield: Modern Combat. 

But anyways thanks, I'm done... goodnight everyone.

Message 4 of 18 (82,021 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Jul 28, 2013

HaRiS37 wrote:

Note: My profile says I joined on November 11, 2012, however that is wrong. I purchased my first PS3 in 2010, and in 2012 summer I was on vacay in London, my PS3, and a bunch of other games, accesories etc. got stolen... that was over an estimated over $650 loss. 

Thanks in advance guys.

The "registered" date is just the date you first logged into / registered a PSN ID on the forums.

Not the date you created your PSN ID on your PS3.

HaRiS37 wrote:

I actually think Sony doesn't shut down servers all together. I think its a specific game. For example: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs was released in 2006, six years later its server shut down, yet it was very popular. 

Sometimes the game company shuts down the servers. Luckily for me, who only plays Battlefield, Battlefield 4's servers will continue for PS3, maybe discontinue for Xbox 360 after six years... why? Take a look at Battlefield: Modern Combat. 

Correct. Specific games shut down their servers all the time. As for PSN no longer being supported on PS3, who knows when / if this will ever happen. But, if it does, I'm sure a lot of those digital game adopters would be very, very upset, considering they will no longer be able to re-download their games.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 5 of 18 (82,006 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
9596 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Nobody here can predict the future, so I am guessing that Sony will keep the the PS3 servers up until this.↓↓↓Smiley Very Happy

tumblr_mgp8thRU8n1qfb8zyo1_500.gif

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 6 of 18 (81,969 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1609 posts

Jul 28, 2013
Don't even worry about something like that.
Message 7 of 18 (81,951 Views)
Fender Bender
2599 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 28, 2013

Hopefully never. People seem to think just because Microsoft shut down the original xbox servers, sony will do the same with the PS3. Hopefully they wont. That would anger too many people to handle and block access to thousands of dollars of games people own. I for one, would riot. I have over $500 of games on my account. 

Message 8 of 18 (81,949 Views)
Last Guardian
12007 posts

Jul 28, 2013

HaRiS37 wrote:

Thanks in advance guys.

they wont shut down psn support for ps3 at least until they drop support for ps3 all together, and that wont happen till they are close to releasing the ps5

>

Message 9 of 18 (81,924 Views)
Last Guardian
12007 posts

Jul 28, 2013

HaRiS37 wrote:

actually its poosible one day they will do it,, look at microsoft there was a day where they shut down xbox live support for the origional xbox, so there is really no reason why sony wouldnt do the same for the ps3

>

Message 10 of 18 (81,923 Views)
0 Likes