Treasure Hunter
5102 posts

Re: When is Socom coming to PS 4?

Feb 2, 2014

Occhi07 wrote:
I'll be honest with you, I didn't read that.

But, i can tell you right now, a SOCOM game is not/will not be made for PS4 because they shut down the developer who made SOCOM. If Sony owns SOCOM IP, then theoretically, they could make a PS4 version but it is unlikely.

If you're talking about PS Now, they haven't announced any games except for the 4 currently available. Also, even if they did put SOCOM on PS Now, the servers will still be shut down - you won't be able to play online.

Sony is starting to shut down old servers to get the old players to make the jump to PS4.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll be honest with you, people who reply to threads they didn't read are morons.

Also, do you have a link where Sony says it will never make a new SOCOM game or are you just spouting bs?  Sony said that they are retiring the Restinance series, they never said that about SOCOM.

And the results are in, the winner of Sonys #20YearsOf Play poll is...
"Winner: SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (24.74%)"​

It's a great day to be a SOCOM fan!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job SOCOM fans, Worldwide!
Message 11 of 19 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5102 posts

Re: When is Some coming to PS 4?

Feb 2, 2014

TOMBSTONE4U wrote:

I currently have no plans to buy a PS 4, don't even feel a slight urge to get one. Most of the reason stems from how Sony handled the Socom franchise on the PS 3.  On top of changing just about every single thing that made Socom great on the PS 3 and running their franchise into the ground, it was the only major Sony franchise that they flat out refused to give the HD remake treatment to despite it being the most requested HD remake on their blogshare by a huge landslide. So the fans were left with literally no Socom options for the entire PS 3 lifecycle even though many had bought a PS 3 on launch day in anticipation of that one franchise alone making it's "next gen" debut.

Many of us have learned not to make that mistake again and won't buy a PS 4 on false promises. We'd have to see a true Socom game and not just some COD clone that puts the Socom stamp on the box.  I understand that Sony hates the Socom franchise and it's fanbase with a passion because they had the audactity to want a Socom game with some actual Socom content in it. I get that a bunch of Japanese guys in suits who don't even play games don't like a game about US Navy Seals being one of their flagship franchises and probably ran the franchise into the dirt purposely after it became popular so they could bury the franchise for good.

The fact remains though that was the best shooter you ever made with the first two games in the franchise. Then you started your massive overhauls for the sake of change campaign for the next four games and saw the fanbase plummet with each new identity crisis game you released. From Socom 3 on fans had absolutely no idea what kind of game was going to be in the box. There was no garauntees that anything in the game would resemble Socom, each game had less and less Socom and as a result less and less sales and online players. Honestly I could really give a crap less if it has the US Seals or not. I just loved the addictive gameplay. So bring that style of gameplay back and use some japanese special forces vs terrorist format if it makes you happy. If you feel to insecure about having a US military unit game as one of your flagship online shooters just because you're a japanese company then change that. But don't take away the most addictive gameplay you've ever created or sabotage it with the dumbest decisions ever made in the gaming industry because of some foolish patriotic Japanese pride and hatred towards Americans. It would instill more confidence in your console if you actually showed some sense of caring about your fans instead of giving them the finger and telling them the game is for some broader audience and not meant to please the existing fanbase. It would also help if some of your decision makers actually played games and understand what makes games fun because if you had some guys like that they wouldn't have been stupid enough to fiercely push those changes when 99% of the fanbase made it clear those changes would kill Socom (Zipper's closure would indicate we were right by the way, you guys were a bit off the mark when you said those changes would bring in a broader market.) That broader market game you made sold about 1/8th the units that the first two Socom games sold that were actually fun to play.

Socom 2 stuck to the core of Socom 1 and added some new stuff like a proper sequel and it saw the online fanbsae grow by about 30%, then you guys overhauled the next 4 Socom games and lost large chunks of players with each new one till you chased off every last fan to please a broader audience that never existed and wasn't ever coming. 3 million units sold just wasn't enough for you so you overhauled the game again and again and struggled to hit 1 million units sold in all your "broader market games" never once going back to what worked out of arrogance and pride and not wanting to admit you made a bad decision. Instead of saying "Socom 3 was a mistake let's go back to what worked" You said "The fanbase is wrong , the changes didn't hurt the game we just need to change more stuff. And 4 straight times that model failed harder the further you went away from Socom. It's sad becasue your pride and stubborness cost you about 8 million units sold total that you potentially could have sold if you stuck to trying to please Socom fans instead of other fans with the last 4 console games in the franchise. That figure is based on if you kept consistent gameplay the fans like and kept the consistent sales of the first two games. 8 million units X 49.99, that's a lot of money to lose on arrogance and pride to po try to prove your fanbase wrong but it would at least shed some light on why Sony has been struggling financially in recent years. How could any company with such an anti-fanbase business model stay successful?

Edit: Updated Labels. Learn more about Labels here.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Save you money TOMB, I have the ps4 and it's nothing short of disappointing.  Of course people here are happy to accept a lesser gaming console and bash anyone asking for the most basic of improvement, such as being able to use a wireless SONY headset with the ps4.  Fanboys will be fanboys I guess but these clowns take it to a whole new level.  Also, I'm sure some of the people who replied to you have never played a single round of SOCOM so them replying to you is strictly them being an over-protective fanboy.

Judging how Sonys stock price has fallen from a high of $150 in 2000 to a pathetic $15.75 today, I would find it hard to call them successful, lol.  Sony has ignored it's customers for years and that's why they are failing as a business. 

And the results are in, the winner of Sonys #20YearsOf Play poll is...
"Winner: SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (24.74%)"​

It's a great day to be a SOCOM fan!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job SOCOM fans, Worldwide!
Message 12 of 19 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6102 posts

Feb 2, 2014
According to vgchartz the socom series has about 7 million sales across 10 games (although 4 are bad psp games that barely sold) however socom 1 was the highest sellers and sales declined every release.

At this point it is almost a garunteed financial loss to make a socom 5. (Which is what the past few socoms were)

I know its sad but it is logical to NOT make a socom.
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 13 of 19 (199 Views)
Fender Bender
3060 posts

Re: When is Some coming to PS 4?

Feb 2, 2014

MADDENKING1980 wrote:

TOMBSTONE4U wrote:

I currently have no plans to buy a PS 4, don't even feel a slight urge to get one. Most of the reason stems from how Sony handled the Socom franchise on the PS 3.  On top of changing just about every single thing that made Socom great on the PS 3 and running their franchise into the ground, it was the only major Sony franchise that they flat out refused to give the HD remake treatment to despite it being the most requested HD remake on their blogshare by a huge landslide. So the fans were left with literally no Socom options for the entire PS 3 lifecycle even though many had bought a PS 3 on launch day in anticipation of that one franchise alone making it's "next gen" debut.

Many of us have learned not to make that mistake again and won't buy a PS 4 on false promises. We'd have to see a true Socom game and not just some COD clone that puts the Socom stamp on the box.  I understand that Sony hates the Socom franchise and it's fanbase with a passion because they had the audactity to want a Socom game with some actual Socom content in it. I get that a bunch of Japanese guys in suits who don't even play games don't like a game about US Navy Seals being one of their flagship franchises and probably ran the franchise into the dirt purposely after it became popular so they could bury the franchise for good.

The fact remains though that was the best shooter you ever made with the first two games in the franchise. Then you started your massive overhauls for the sake of change campaign for the next four games and saw the fanbase plummet with each new identity crisis game you released. From Socom 3 on fans had absolutely no idea what kind of game was going to be in the box. There was no garauntees that anything in the game would resemble Socom, each game had less and less Socom and as a result less and less sales and online players. Honestly I could really give a crap less if it has the US Seals or not. I just loved the addictive gameplay. So bring that style of gameplay back and use some japanese special forces vs terrorist format if it makes you happy. If you feel to insecure about having a US military unit game as one of your flagship online shooters just because you're a japanese company then change that. But don't take away the most addictive gameplay you've ever created or sabotage it with the dumbest decisions ever made in the gaming industry because of some foolish patriotic Japanese pride and hatred towards Americans. It would instill more confidence in your console if you actually showed some sense of caring about your fans instead of giving them the finger and telling them the game is for some broader audience and not meant to please the existing fanbase. It would also help if some of your decision makers actually played games and understand what makes games fun because if you had some guys like that they wouldn't have been stupid enough to fiercely push those changes when 99% of the fanbase made it clear those changes would kill Socom (Zipper's closure would indicate we were right by the way, you guys were a bit off the mark when you said those changes would bring in a broader market.) That broader market game you made sold about 1/8th the units that the first two Socom games sold that were actually fun to play.

Socom 2 stuck to the core of Socom 1 and added some new stuff like a proper sequel and it saw the online fanbsae grow by about 30%, then you guys overhauled the next 4 Socom games and lost large chunks of players with each new one till you chased off every last fan to please a broader audience that never existed and wasn't ever coming. 3 million units sold just wasn't enough for you so you overhauled the game again and again and struggled to hit 1 million units sold in all your "broader market games" never once going back to what worked out of arrogance and pride and not wanting to admit you made a bad decision. Instead of saying "Socom 3 was a mistake let's go back to what worked" You said "The fanbase is wrong , the changes didn't hurt the game we just need to change more stuff. And 4 straight times that model failed harder the further you went away from Socom. It's sad becasue your pride and stubborness cost you about 8 million units sold total that you potentially could have sold if you stuck to trying to please Socom fans instead of other fans with the last 4 console games in the franchise. That figure is based on if you kept consistent gameplay the fans like and kept the consistent sales of the first two games. 8 million units X 49.99, that's a lot of money to lose on arrogance and pride to po try to prove your fanbase wrong but it would at least shed some light on why Sony has been struggling financially in recent years. How could any company with such an anti-fanbase business model stay successful?

Edit: Updated Labels. Learn more about Labels here.

Save you money TOMB, I have the ps4 and it's nothing short of disappointing.  Of course people here are happy to accept a lesser gaming console and bash anyone asking for the most basic of improvement, such as being able to use a wireless SONY headset with the ps4.  Fanboys will be fanboys I guess but these clowns take it to a whole new level.  Also, I'm sure some of the people who replied to you have never played a single round of SOCOM so them replying to you is strictly them being an over-protective fanboy.

Judging how Sonys stock price has fallen from a high of $150 in 2000 to a pathetic $15.75 today, I would find it hard to call them successful, lol.  Sony has ignored it's customers for years and that's why they are failing as a business. 

Just because you aren't happy with your $400 investment doesn't mean other people can't be. The PS 4 is quite the capable gaming machine and that's what should really matter.

Message 14 of 19 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

Feb 2, 2014

SOCOM is dead lol. Denial is a stron emotion. It doesn't sell. Sony butchered that franchise. Sony cannot make a good exclusive shooter franchise.,

Message 15 of 19 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14193 posts

Feb 2, 2014

Winscar_Shinobi wrote:
According to vgchartz the socom series has about 7 million sales across 10 games (although 4 are bad psp games that barely sold) however socom 1 was the highest sellers and sales declined every release.

At this point it is almost a garunteed financial loss to make a socom 5. (Which is what the past few socoms were)

I know its sad but it is logical to NOT make a socom.

The problem with your theory is that Socom 1 and 2 alone sold close to that number. So your math is far off. Socom 1 sold about 3.6 million and Socom 2 about 3 million even. Then of course Socom 3 sold 1.1 million where the game went downhill but now that's  about 7.7 million sales before we even get to Combined Assault, Confrontation, Socom 4 and all the PSP games. The first two games were three million unit sellers and it could have stayed in that range if they didn't decide they would massively overhaul every game after that. I've been gaming since Pong and I have seen no other franchise butchered that badly with so many overhauls from one game to the next.

God of War usually sells between 3 to 4 million units consistently and is a much bigger budget game then Socom and that's considered a successful franchise. Socom never failed, what failed is what Sony desperatly tried to turn it into after the first two games. People say "Oh but it stopped selling" yeah no crap, because they made massive overhauls to the game that competely stipped out what made Socom fun. Games that stay consistent gameplaywise tend to keep their fanbases. Look at Killzone 3 and Resistance Fall of Man 3. Those two games also tried forcing in more COD features and wound up being their worst selling iterations on the PS 3. When Sony tries to push their devs to copy other games they have never once had a more successful game then when the franchise was geared towards it's fans who didn't want a COD clone. Bottom line, Sony has to change their business model if the want to be successful. I think most of you guys would have had to have been Socomers to understand the size and scope of how royally they destroyed that game and alienated their fans. I mean everytime a new iteration came out and they got a list of feedback on what things the fans hated. They literally would carry all those hated things into the next iteration and then change some other things the fans loved. It's almost like their business model was "These are hardcore Socom players but we want to get the casual players to buy Socom so let's just listen to the Socom players feedback and then do the complete opposite of everything they said in the next game and that will bring in the casual crowd".

Sig: Socom 1 and 2 best games I've played on any console.
Message 16 of 19 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14193 posts

Feb 2, 2014

Occhi07 wrote:
I'll be honest with you, I didn't read that.

But, i can tell you right now, a SOCOM game is not/will not be made for PS4 because they shut down the developer who made SOCOM. If Sony owns SOCOM IP, then theoretically, they could make a PS4 version but it is unlikely.

If you're talking about PS Now, they haven't announced any games except for the 4 currently available. Also, even if they did put SOCOM on PS Now, the servers will still be shut down - you won't be able to play online.

Sony is starting to shut down old servers to get the old players to make the jump to PS4.

People say this yet that's already proven to not be true in numerous cases. Sometimes games go on wthout the original dev in place. Halo is one example of that. And of course COD MW 3 happened despite Infinity Ward being gutted after the developers tired to sue them for royalties on the first two MW games. It's not a matter of having the original dev around. It's a matter of the publisher tasking another dev team to do it. As badly mismanaged as Zipper was it wouldn't be that difficult to find a dev who could do a better job with Socom then they did. It was a great game but just was unfortunate that it was made by the most anti-fanbase dev team that's ever existed in the gaming industry.

Sig: Socom 1 and 2 best games I've played on any console.
Message 17 of 19 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3627 posts

Feb 2, 2014
SOCOM is sadly over.

The developers are no more, but a few of them from the team are making ''H-Hour'' which I am looking forward to playing.
Message 18 of 19 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
51 posts

Apr 27, 2014
I search google everyday looking for posts like this, WE NEED A S2HD PSNOW emulation will allow for it and GaiKai will support servers and DLC for old games. It may not be right in the game but it'll load into a different instance to support new content.

You cannot compare confrontation or any other game to the amount of Teamwork that went into Socom 2! S2 was amazing for that soul reason the community inside the game was astronomical, hell I have hundreds of friends now for over 7 years + that I met through socom 2. I will never get over that game and will always be expecting a remake no matter how long it takes, I still play it on xlink. I just can't get over it ever, all my truest gaming memories are from that game nothing will ever top it everrrrr. HHour is moving in the right direction but that cannot create a mirror copy of it because well one that is not their intentions and two copyright of course. Even after a HHour releases I'll be expecting a s2hd every single day, this next year after PSNOW we will have to see how it functions and what GaiKai brings to the table along to support. I will never give up on socom 2 ! I hate seeing longtime fans saying it's now dead and won't give it a second go to be heard and pray for such a masterpiece to return..
Message 19 of 19 (58 Views)
0 Likes