Feb 01 2014
By: TOMBSTONE4U Ghost of Sparta 14193 posts

When is Socom coming to PS 4?

[ Edited ]
18 replies 414 views Edited Feb 1, 2014

I currently have no plans to buy a PS 4, don't even feel a slight urge to get one. Most of the reason stems from how Sony handled the Socom franchise on the PS 3.  On top of changing just about every single thing that made Socom great on the PS 3 and running their franchise into the ground, it was the only major Sony franchise that they flat out refused to give the HD remake treatment to despite it being the most requested HD remake on their blogshare by a huge landslide. So the fans were left with literally no Socom options for the entire PS 3 lifecycle even though many had bought a PS 3 on launch day in anticipation of that one franchise alone making it's "next gen" debut.

Many of us have learned not to make that mistake again and won't buy a PS 4 on false promises. We'd have to see a true Socom game and not just some COD clone that puts the Socom stamp on the box.  I understand that Sony hates the Socom franchise and it's fanbase with a passion because they had the audactity to want a Socom game with some actual Socom content in it. I get that a bunch of Japanese guys in suits who don't even play games don't like a game about US Navy Seals being one of their flagship franchises and probably ran the franchise into the dirt purposely after it became popular so they could bury the franchise for good.

The fact remains though that was the best shooter you ever made with the first two games in the franchise. Then you started your massive overhauls for the sake of change campaign for the next four games and saw the fanbase plummet with each new identity crisis game you released. From Socom 3 on fans had absolutely no idea what kind of game was going to be in the box. There was no garauntees that anything in the game would resemble Socom, each game had less and less Socom and as a result less and less sales and online players. Honestly I could really give a crap less if it has the US Seals or not. I just loved the addictive gameplay. So bring that style of gameplay back and use some japanese special forces vs terrorist format if it makes you happy. If you feel to insecure about having a US military unit game as one of your flagship online shooters just because you're a japanese company then change that. But don't take away the most addictive gameplay you've ever created or sabotage it with the dumbest decisions ever made in the gaming industry because of some foolish patriotic Japanese pride and hatred towards Americans. It would instill more confidence in your console if you actually showed some sense of caring about your fans instead of giving them the finger and telling them the game is for some broader audience and not meant to please the existing fanbase. It would also help if some of your decision makers actually played games and understand what makes games fun because if you had some guys like that they wouldn't have been stupid enough to fiercely push those changes when 99% of the fanbase made it clear those changes would kill Socom (Zipper's closure would indicate we were right by the way, you guys were a bit off the mark when you said those changes would bring in a broader market.) That broader market game you made sold about 1/8th the units that the first two Socom games sold that were actually fun to play.

Socom 2 stuck to the core of Socom 1 and added some new stuff like a proper sequel and it saw the online fanbsae grow by about 30%, then you guys overhauled the next 4 Socom games and lost large chunks of players with each new one till you chased off every last fan to please a broader audience that never existed and wasn't ever coming. 3 million units sold just wasn't enough for you so you overhauled the game again and again and struggled to hit 1 million units sold in all your "broader market games" never once going back to what worked out of arrogance and pride and not wanting to admit you made a bad decision. Instead of saying "Socom 3 was a mistake let's go back to what worked" You said "The fanbase is wrong , the changes didn't hurt the game we just need to change more stuff. And 4 straight times that model failed harder the further you went away from Socom. It's sad becasue your pride and stubborness cost you about 8 million units sold total that you potentially could have sold if you stuck to trying to please Socom fans instead of other fans with the last 4 console games in the franchise. That figure is based on if you kept consistent gameplay the fans like and kept the consistent sales of the first two games. 8 million units X 49.99, that's a lot of money to lose on arrogance and pride to po try to prove your fanbase wrong but it would at least shed some light on why Sony has been struggling financially in recent years. How could any company with such an anti-fanbase business model stay successful?

Edit: Updated Labels. Learn more about Labels here.

Sig: Socom 1 and 2 best games I've played on any console.
Message 1 of 19 (414 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2031 posts

Re: When is Socom coming to PS 4?

Feb 1, 2014
I'll be honest with you, I didn't read that.

But, i can tell you right now, a SOCOM game is not/will not be made for PS4 because they shut down the developer who made SOCOM. If Sony owns SOCOM IP, then theoretically, they could make a PS4 version but it is unlikely.

If you're talking about PS Now, they haven't announced any games except for the 4 currently available. Also, even if they did put SOCOM on PS Now, the servers will still be shut down - you won't be able to play online.

Sony is starting to shut down old servers to get the old players to make the jump to PS4.
Message 2 of 19 (406 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11491 posts

Feb 1, 2014
Not another one of these socom threads...

Ok one last time. Socom is dead... Sales of the last 2 were dismal. So it's unlikely that Sony will continue with the franchise
>

Message 3 of 19 (405 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1397 posts

Feb 1, 2014

Unfortunately the Socom franchise is dead. It's sad for the players who loved the game, but its also a good thing. After seeing what Socom 4 was, do you really want another game? It was such a far-cry from what the other games in the series were. I wish they would attempt another Socom Confrontation but with a realistic budget and updates. Was such a shame how buggy and disrespectful the game was when it first launched. And also having just that one set of DLC was crazy.

At the end of the day, I'm chillin'. You should all do the same.
Message 4 of 19 (402 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4754 posts

Feb 1, 2014
H hour YouTube it.

Message 5 of 19 (393 Views)
Limit Breaker
25315 posts

Feb 1, 2014

Occhi07 wrote:

But, i can tell you right now, a SOCOM game is not/will not be made for PS4 because they shut down the developer who made SOCOM. If Sony owns SOCOM IP, then theoretically, they could make a PS4 version but it is unlikely.

If you're talking about PS Now, they haven't announced any games except for the 4 currently available. Also, even if they did put SOCOM on PS Now, the servers will still be shut down - you won't be able to play online.

Sony is starting to shut down old servers to get the old players to make the jump to PS4.

if they put it on "NOW" chances it will just be offline. The fact that NOW states it will support online for old games whose servers are already shut down does seem to imply they will host new severs for these games not the old systems. I'd love to play S1/2 back and alive on NOW and i'd certainly play it online if they offered it.

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 6 of 19 (389 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5476 posts

Feb 1, 2014

You're neither the first or last person to pledge allegiance or vow vehemence to a console over the inclusion or exclusion of their favorite game.  I really don't think that depriving one's self of an entire system and its library of games because of one accomplishes much.

I could have done that last generation with Tenchu or Deception/Kagero, but I would have missed out on dozens of gems. In the end, we make decisions for ourselves, and everyone else will make theirs.

Short version: I'm glad you like SOCOM, and it's a shame that so many fans share your disappointment with the last installment. If there really isn't any possibility that you'll enjoy any game on the PlayStation 4, the only statement you appear to be making is that if it isn't SOCOM, you don't like it. 

Grindhead_Jim

Message 7 of 19 (376 Views)
First Son
27 posts

Feb 1, 2014

Hey man check out H-Hour.. I think it is our last hope for Socom..

Message 8 of 19 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3334 posts

Feb 2, 2014
Socom did not meet critics expectations and and did not sell too well. So I beleive they stopped it last I heard.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 19 (352 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2031 posts

Feb 2, 2014

MIA_Philly wrote:

Occhi07 wrote:

if they put it on "NOW" chances it will just be offline. The fact that NOW states it will support online for old games whose servers are already shut down does seem to imply they will host new severs for these games not the old systems. I'd love to play S1/2 back and alive on NOW and i'd certainly play it online if they offered it.

Thats what I said...

Message 10 of 19 (346 Views)
0 Likes