Mar 27 2012
By: pmarc82 Lombax Warrior 133 posts
Accepted Solution

Whatever Happen to the Games Being Cheaper on PSN

9 replies 529 views Edited Mar 27, 2012

Why are some of the games still match the full price of the retail stores? I was under the impression all the games would be cheaper on PSN because we dont have to pay for booklet and case, or whatever justifies the full price.

Message 1 of 10 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
301 posts

Re: Whatever Happen to the Games Being Cheaper on PSN

Mar 28, 2012

I thought that was the case as well. just to let you know when you buy a hard copy it doesnt come with a booklet. the booklet is part of the software now. any who. the game is suppose to be a tad cheaper. not sure what is going on.

Message 2 of 10 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Mar 28, 2012

I agree with you 100%. I also choose to go the digital route only but at this point I don't think I am anymore. What the devs don't realized is that in the end they are hurting themselves. I honestly started looking for used games on Amazon..heck I even found Uncharted for $38.98 after shipping + tax (although we still have the 10% discount on that one but just an example). Last I heard dev weren't making money off of used games.

You hit the homerun with the consumer giving up their right to sell or trade argument. This is exactly why there should always be a 10-20% discount across the board. I want to support the devs, I really do, but given the unfair business model I'm going to vote with my wallet and start getting some used games every chance I get. I know the online pass is a catch but i'll make sure the price still wont go over retail or PSN.

I really don't want to sound bitter, but for some reason this business model is slowly leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I just cant help feel that something is WRONG especially when we consider all the points you made.

Message 3 of 10 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Mar 28, 2012

Here's a link to the Amazon promotion ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=tgt-b2g1_1000789521_grlink_9?ie=UTF8&plgroup=9&docId=10007...

NEC Turbo Express → Nintendo Game Boy → Game Boy Pocket → Game Boy Color → Sega GameGear → Atari Lynx → NeoGeo Pocket Color → Game Boy Advance → Game Boy Advance SP → Nintendo DS → Sony PSP → DS Lite → PSP 2000 → PSP 3000 → Apple iPod touch 2g → PSP go → iPod touch 4g → Sony Vita
Message 4 of 10 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Mar 28, 2012

I believe you will find all of Sony's titles are priced at 10% off, however, my understanding is that 3rd party developers have control over the pricing of their software in the PSN store and do not have to discount their titles.

The large retailers who sell games view the PSN store as competition, so I imagine they may be exerting their will on software companies to keep their titles priced at retail.

Frankly, there is a problem with this business model because users who download titles give up their right to sell or trade their digital copies. Given the lower cost to produce digital versions and the eco-friendly nature of not using paper and plastic for media and cases, there should be an across the board discount on all downloadable games, and it should be greater than 10%—more like 20% since the transportation cost to deliver hardcopy games to retailers is also eliminated.

Even still, retailers often have buy 2, get 1 free promotions (Amazon has one going on right now on most Vita titles) potientially giving users a 33% discount on new games, so those of us—myself included—who prefer digital versions are paying a high premium for the priviledge.

NEC Turbo Express → Nintendo Game Boy → Game Boy Pocket → Game Boy Color → Sega GameGear → Atari Lynx → NeoGeo Pocket Color → Game Boy Advance → Game Boy Advance SP → Nintendo DS → Sony PSP → DS Lite → PSP 2000 → PSP 3000 → Apple iPod touch 2g → PSP go → iPod touch 4g → Sony Vita
Message 5 of 10 (529 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 28, 2012

if the psn games going to be cheaper, piracy will become less and hacks, yeah. i never thought that ps vita games will be cheaper than psp umd's . haha

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6155/48083.gif
Message 6 of 10 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
281 posts

Mar 29, 2012

Personally I prefer to have physical copies. I just like to have a collection of my games and there is always the resale value of that. The digital market will never really be as cheap or cheaper than retail because the prices are never up to date. Most of the time you will be able to find the game you want cheaper online than in the PSN. There so called 10% is only off the RRP and not on the price it is actually being sold for. I do have digital copies of my PSP games though seeing as they don't take up that much room on my memory card and are a lot cheaper (most of the time) than other games.

Message 7 of 10 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Mar 30, 2012

Thanks for the Amazon link mate

Message 8 of 10 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Mar 30, 2012

man I hear you. After thinking about this whole same price tag on psn and reading about every used game wont allow you to get the trphies (which im still hoping is false), I have decided to give up on my quest to go all digital. Not only im not gonna bother getting the 32GB anymore, im going to take it a step further, i will get my game used every chance I get. Analysing the "All Digital" route, I end up losing in every way. One thing that resonate with me is what Jowbrent said, im willing to give up my right to resale and trade for no good deal in return. You also cover that same point. the 10% cheaper is really nothing when you look at it but it doesnt convince me to buy. I guess there is something about the idea of saving even if it's a dollar that make this approach somewhat efficient. Im not going to lie if the like of Fifa, UMvC3, Virtual Tennis 4 had that 10% discount I would have gotten them a long time ago.

Another set back I found is the whole no trophy on new games approach. What a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE idea. I dont have that many games, so im currently trying to get the trophies for my current game. Mind you I never in my life cared that much about trophies since I decided to platinum God of War 3. So yeah I dont care anymore :-)

So what im learn from this experience

- Dev/Sony is punishing me for chosing to buy a used game by removing the trophies (if that is in fact true). So in the end my new found passion just instantly die because trophies will not make me care enough to purchase a game new..EVER!!!

- If companies is going to charge same price on PSN as the retail stores, I might as well get it at the retail store to get a chance to resale.

I dont know guys, we can clearly see that the vita is set to succeed but for some reason all these rules and preventions or tryouts are setting it back in my opinion. I hope thing do change for the better in the future. Right now we barely have any games and yet we have to deal we crap like that. Although it's really not that big of a deal, I just hate the feeling that im being exploited/cash cow or a test subject with everything that is going on right now. Again hope things change (fingers crossed)

Message 9 of 10 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
281 posts

Mar 30, 2012

pmarc82 wrote:

man I hear you. After thinking about this whole same price tag on psn and reading about every used game wont allow you to get the trphies (which im still hoping is false), I have decided to give up on my quest to go all digital. Not only im not gonna bother getting the 32GB anymore, im going to take it a step further, i will get my game used every chance I get. Analysing the "All Digital" route, I end up losing in every way. One thing that resonate with me is what Jowbrent said, im willing to give up my right to resale and trade for no good deal in return. You also cover that same point. the 10% cheaper is really nothing when you look at it but it doesnt convince me to buy. I guess there is something about the idea of saving even if it's a dollar that make this approach somewhat efficient. Im not going to lie if the like of Fifa, UMvC3, Virtual Tennis 4 had that 10% discount I would have gotten them a long time ago.

Another set back I found is the whole no trophy on new games approach. What a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE idea. I dont have that many games, so im currently trying to get the trophies for my current game. Mind you I never in my life cared that much about trophies since I decided to platinum God of War 3. So yeah I dont care anymore :-)

So what im learn from this experience

- Dev/Sony is punishing me for chosing to buy a used game by removing the trophies (if that is in fact true). So in the end my new found passion just instantly die because trophies will not make me care enough to purchase a game new..EVER!!!

- If companies is going to charge same price on PSN as the retail stores, I might as well get it at the retail store to get a chance to resale.

I dont know guys, we can clearly see that the vita is set to succeed but for some reason all these rules and preventions or tryouts are setting it back in my opinion. I hope thing do change for the better in the future. Right now we barely have any games and yet we have to deal we crap like that. Although it's really not that big of a deal, I just hate the feeling that im being exploited/cash cow or a test subject with everything that is going on right now. Again hope things change (fingers crossed)

You can still get trophies on used games as there is a work around but it shouldn't be like that. If I buy a used game for my Xbox I can get achievements. I don't see why they would just try and make it difficult.

Anyway, physical media all the way and my 8gb card will keep me going for some time

Message 10 of 10 (529 Views)
0 Likes