Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 09 2012
By: SDC3 PlayStation MVP 35 posts

What specific fees are associated with Vita' s 3G Service?

3 replies 17 views Edited Apr 9, 2012

I understand there are three levels of 3G service currently available in the US:
$15, $30, and $50 per month for 250MB, 3GB, and 5GB respectively.

What I am wondering is if there are any activation, deactivation, cancellation or reactivation fees associated with 3G service.  Some more tech-savvy friends have been saying that generally non-cellphone devices that can use AT&T 3G Data plans (such as iPads, tablets, and laptops) generally have an activation fee associated with them and then either a reactivation fee (if service is stopped and restarted later) or the requirement to purchase a new SIM card if service is stopped.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?  I sent an email to customer service, but I gather they did not understand the question as they merely reiterated the 3G data plan rates available.

Note:  This is a crosspost from the general Support forum, but seeing as it is the wrong place and I have not gotten an answer there I figured there would be little harm in posting here.

"In the darkest hour hope springs eternal."

http://us.playstation.com/ambassadorprogram/terms-and-conditions/
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Re: What specific fees are associated with Vita' s 3G Service?

Apr 9, 2012

i have the 15$ data connect pass.. i usually can barely get halfway thru it before the month ends. i use the apps/maps/leaderboards alot. i dont plan on getting a different data pass.. the 15$ pass is oddly plenty. as for the extra fees there is none.. you can even opt out before ur plan is done.. no charge. when your pass is expired you just wont have 3G unless you have it automatically pay for another data pass. if only phone plans were as simple........................

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (17 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
35 posts

Apr 9, 2012

I appreciate the response and it is very encouraging, but that why I'm specifically asking about reactivation fees.  It would be incredibly convenient to be able to use 3G for a month at $15, opt to not renew the service, and then use it again several months later at $15 with no extra charges.  It would be pretty much exactly what I am looking for.
But I'm hearing that I may need to purchase another SIM card if I decide to interrupt service for several months, or that I may need to pay a re-activation fee.

"In the darkest hour hope springs eternal."

http://us.playstation.com/ambassadorprogram/terms-and-conditions/
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Apr 9, 2012

oh i see what you mean... the vita's sim card just gives you 3G.. its unlike a phone plan where it depends on your sim card. with a phone plan the reason you git all those fees is because its a contract. the vita uses data connect passes 2 take all those headaches away and keeps it very simple.. you get what you pay for..... the only downside for me is if i didnt finish all the data within a month the plan will expire and i need 2 get another data pass..... (roll over data would be epic )

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (17 Views)
0 Likes