Sackboy
515 posts

Re: What size TV are you playing your games on?

May 23, 2014

60 inch lg plasma (600hz) here and honestly could not be happier. Bought this tv when is was on sale for 999.99. I am still impressed at the response with this tv. It is very important to me to have best resolution games can give out because games look little rough when in 720p.

Message 81 of 130 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

May 23, 2014

MIA_Philly wrote:

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

sometimes finding the contrast ratio's are hard to find, I could not find them for all the TV's I was looking at. Look on the manuracture site, and other sites like Best Buy, Amazon, CNET b/c one of them will most likely have it, if not then chances are its not aviable. You can always call the company directly to and ask. 

I would say your is probably more then likely  10 million to 1 unless its a pretty old TV. New TV's now even the low end ones will have  a raito of 5 million or so to 1.

There are tons of factors that come into play when deciding on a TV, the contrast ratio is just one of them but its one that people tend to over look. The contrast ratio is the difference in light between the darkest dark colors and the brightest white. The higher the number the better they will look.

One thing to also keep in mind is that there is no industry standard when it comes to measureing contrast ratio. So say you take a Samsung and a Sony TV one has a 7 and one has a 10. The one at 10 does not mean its that much better then the one at 7 b/c there is no standard across the board on how this is measured. The very best this can be used for is to compare TV's of the same manufacture such as Sony VS Sony or LG VS LG. You can make a like comparison if you find two diffrent brand TV's in a similar price range and compare the contrast ratio but keep in mind that each company will have their own way of measuring the contrast ratio. 

yea mine is brand spanking new. got it the day or so before PS4 launched..

Your good then, I would not be concerned. 

Message 82 of 130 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25341 posts

May 23, 2014

Ikit-Klaw wrote:

Few years old but it still applies 

http://www.cnet.com/news/contrast-ratio-or-how-every-tv-manufacturer-lies-to-you/

yea in 2011 it says 5 mil to 1 doesnt exsist but now it does. thats pretty neat. good article, thanks for sharing..

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 83 of 130 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3071 posts

May 23, 2014

MIA_Philly wrote:

TheLastNinja- wrote:

I've been playing on a Dell 24" LCD monitor for the past 4~5 years. Its optimum resolution is 1920x1080@60Hz.

MIA_Philly wrote:

For those on moniters and smaller TVs how far away do you sit from them? also do these smaller TVs help or hurt or do not effect your gaming fun, ability to see detail and length of time you can play in a single sitting?

I sit somewhere between 2 and 4 feet from the monitor. I'm assuming it helps a lot. I remember there being a similar thread on the old MAG forums, most of the top killers played on relatively small screens. I recall a few were still using CRTs. 

I used a 20" CRT in Resistance: Fall of Man's prime, and I was fairly good at it. I wasn't as good when I switched to my current 24" monitor, but rust was another factor by that time. The days before the servers were shut off, I changed my settings to 480p + 4:3 ratio, and that improved my gun game.

It doesn't seem to hinder my ability to see detail, in fact, I think it helps. I can play for very long periods of time with no issue. 

Interesting. I wonder if the smaller screen allows you to actually see more since your vision can see the whole screen at once vs a large tv that  you have to scan all over to see what  you are missing. 

Not really. I tend to focus on the center of the screen, so I still have to scan around. Not only that, but the smaller screen can make it difficult to line up my shots on enemies that are very far away.

Bring MAG to PS4!
Message 84 of 130 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2014

at my desk i prefer 32 inches At 1080p  so i got my eye on The SONY Bravia KDL32W650A

For my PS4 Its got 240hz motion flow but the actual refresh rate is only 60hz

You Said Im Getting KOOL-LAID--And Survey Said.....""Oh Yeah""

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 85 of 130 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
842 posts

May 23, 2014

I don't use a TV Smiley Happy

42-inch LG LED Moniter 1080p 60Hz

Message 86 of 130 (130 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 23, 2014

46" Samsung 1080P LCD. Its a couple years old but the picture looks great so I’m happy. Have a smallish family room so this TV is a good size. Also have a Yamaha V-673 AV RX w/ Mirage floorstading mains, Mirage Center and subwoofer 7.1 surround sound system. The TV size is nice and all but until Battle Field 4 is rattling your walls in 7.1 you are not really into the game.

Message 87 of 130 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
804 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2014

An upgrade is in order since I've had this TV for going on 6 years in November, but my 40" BRAVIA XBR4 is still alive and well.

x158KD40XB3-f_MT-1-1.jpeg

Message 88 of 130 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25341 posts

May 23, 2014

Ming_Dragon wrote:

I don't use a TV Smiley Happy

42-inch LG LED Moniter 1080p 60Hz

whoa, thats a huge monitor... do you sit up close?

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 89 of 130 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
842 posts

[ Edited ]
May 24, 2014

No, not at all. I sit about 7 feet away. Thats the reccomended viewing distance Smiley Happy

Message 90 of 130 (101 Views)
0 Likes