Sackboy
481 posts

Re: What size TV are you playing your games on?

May 23, 2014

Samsung UN40FH6030FXZA

Message 71 of 130 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4720 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2014

47" Vizio

Edit: It is also my computer monitor. 

Message 72 of 130 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25341 posts

May 23, 2014

So far it looks like almost everyone is OVER 40" and we are all in HD. A few crossed over the 50 mark and then sweeet projectors take everyone to the bank. Keep it coming fellow gamers, I want to know what you are playing on and if their is any noticeable enjoyment from size increase or if its all just the same experience. 

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 73 of 130 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

May 23, 2014

MIA_Philly wrote:

So far it looks like almost everyone is OVER 40" and we are all in HD. A few crossed over the 50 mark and then sweeet projectors take everyone to the bank. Keep it coming fellow gamers, I want to know what you are playing on and if their is any noticeable enjoyment from size increase or if its all just the same experience. 

The contrast ratio is another thing to consider. I'll take a TV with a better contrast ratio over a bigger screen any day. The contrast ratio is usually a big number and wil give you a good indication of how crisp and clear the picture will look. The contrast ratio will be displayed suh as this 8,000,000 : 1 or higher.  I would not consider getting a TV that was something like 5,000,000 :1  or lower even if it's listed as being 1080p.

Message 74 of 130 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25341 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2014

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

MIA_Philly wrote:

The contrast ratio is another thing to consider. I'll take a TV with a better contrast ratio over a bigger screen any day. The contrast ratio is usually a big number and wil give you a good indication of how crisp and clear the picture will look. The contrast ratio will be displayed suh as this 8,000,000 : 1 or higher.  I would not consider getting a TV that was something like 5,000,000 :1  or lower even if it's listed as being 1080p.

i forgot allllllll about that and is absolutley true. matter of fact let me go see what mine is right now..

EDIT:

I don't have my model number like i thought i did earlier because one says 

10 Mil to 1 and the other says 1 mil to 1. I don't know which of these i have. I really hope its the 10 mil to 1 haha

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 75 of 130 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

May 23, 2014

MIA_Philly wrote:

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

MIA_Philly wrote:

i forgot allllllll about that and is absolutley true. matter of fact let me go see what mine is right now..

I was searching TV's for a long time last year and came to discover that the lower priced TV's always had lower contrast ratio's. Usually you would see a big quality cut off when going below 7,000,000 :1 with most TV with the ones lower then that being the more budget priced TV's but when you start getting closer to 10,000,000 :1 then the quality would also be much better. 

My TV is a 8,000,000 : LED and the picture is just amazing. Its not the highest raito out there but I notice my picture being much better then lots of other HDTV's as well. Ive been visiting family for the past few days and my dads TV is a Samsung which is a good TV but its one of the lower end models and the picture is no where near as clear as my TV at home. Plasma's will often have higher contrast raito's then other types of TV's ( LED, LCD exc ) but ther are other things to factor in when comparing Plasma VS LED. You have to compare two like TV's in order for the contrast ratio to be valid.

Message 76 of 130 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25341 posts

May 23, 2014

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

MIA_Philly wrote:

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

MIA_Philly wrote:

I was searching TV's for a long time last year and came to discover that the lower priced TV's always had lower contrast ratio's. Usually you would see a big quality cut off when going below 7,000,000 :1 with most TV with the ones lower then that being the more budget priced TV's but when you start getting closer to 10,000,000 :1 then the quality would also be much better. 

My TV is a 8,000,000 : LED and the picture is just amazing. Its not the highest raito out there but I notice my picture being much better then lots of other HDTV's as well. Ive been visiting family for the past few days and my dads TV is a Samsung which is a good TV but its one of the lower end models and the picture is no where near as clear as my TV at home. Plasma's will often have higher contrast raito's then other types of TV's ( LED, LCD exc ) but ther are other things to factor in when comparing Plasma VS LED. You have to compare two like TV's in order for the contrast ratio to be valid.

The one i have is either 1 mil to 1 or 10 mil to one. I dont know until i get home and look. i thought i had the right model number in an earlier post but when i looked at the picture it was different than the tv at home. The tv looks great at which ever it is but if its the model thats 1 mil to one i can only imagine how great 10 mil to one looks. im also looking to try and get an 80" soon but no site shows the ratio for samsung. its between the samsung or vizio... the vizio 80" shows 10 mil to 1 on the home page but nothing for samsung. Smiley Sad

Get your Portable ID!
Message 77 of 130 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

May 23, 2014

sometimes finding the contrast ratio's are hard to find, I could not find them for all the TV's I was looking at. Look on the manuracture site, and other sites like Best Buy, Amazon, CNET b/c one of them will most likely have it, if not then chances are its not aviable. You can always call the company directly to and ask. 

I would say your is probably more then likely  10 million to 1 unless its a pretty old TV. New TV's now even the low end ones will have  a raito of 5 million or so to 1.

There are tons of factors that come into play when deciding on a TV, the contrast ratio is just one of them but its one that people tend to over look. The contrast ratio is the difference in light between the darkest dark colors and the brightest white. The higher the number the better they will look.

One thing to also keep in mind is that there is no industry standard when it comes to measureing contrast ratio. So say you take a Samsung and a Sony TV one has a 7 and one has a 10. The one at 10 does not mean its that much better then the one at 7 b/c there is no standard across the board on how this is measured. The very best this can be used for is to compare TV's of the same manufacture such as Sony VS Sony or LG VS LG. You can make a like comparison if you find two diffrent brand TV's in a similar price range and compare the contrast ratio but keep in mind that each company will have their own way of measuring the contrast ratio. 

Message 78 of 130 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25341 posts

May 23, 2014

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

sometimes finding the contrast ratio's are hard to find, I could not find them for all the TV's I was looking at. Look on the manuracture site, and other sites like Best Buy, Amazon, CNET b/c one of them will most likely have it, if not then chances are its not aviable. You can always call the company directly to and ask. 

I would say your is probably more then likely  10 million to 1 unless its a pretty old TV. New TV's now even the low end ones will have  a raito of 5 million or so to 1.

There are tons of factors that come into play when deciding on a TV, the contrast ratio is just one of them but its one that people tend to over look. The contrast ratio is the difference in light between the darkest dark colors and the brightest white. The higher the number the better they will look.

One thing to also keep in mind is that there is no industry standard when it comes to measureing contrast ratio. So say you take a Samsung and a Sony TV one has a 7 and one has a 10. The one at 10 does not mean its that much better then the one at 7 b/c there is no standard across the board on how this is measured. The very best this can be used for is to compare TV's of the same manufacture such as Sony VS Sony or LG VS LG. You can make a like comparison if you find two diffrent brand TV's in a similar price range and compare the contrast ratio but keep in mind that each company will have their own way of measuring the contrast ratio. 

yea mine is brand spanking new. got it the day or so before PS4 launched..

Get your Portable ID!
Message 79 of 130 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4720 posts

May 23, 2014
Message 80 of 130 (123 Views)
0 Likes