Fender Bender
3071 posts

Re: What size TV are you playing your games on?

May 22, 2014

I've been playing on a Dell 24" LCD monitor for the past 4~5 years. Its optimum resolution is 1920x1080@60Hz.

MIA_Philly wrote:

For those on moniters and smaller TVs how far away do you sit from them? also do these smaller TVs help or hurt or do not effect your gaming fun, ability to see detail and length of time you can play in a single sitting?

I sit somewhere between 2 and 4 feet from the monitor. I'm assuming it helps a lot. I remember there being a similar thread on the old MAG forums, most of the top killers played on relatively small screens. I recall a few were still using CRTs. 

I used a 20" CRT in Resistance: Fall of Man's prime, and I was fairly good at it. I wasn't as good when I switched to my current 24" monitor, but rust was another factor by that time. The days before the servers were shut off, I changed my settings to 480p + 4:3 ratio, and that improved my gun game.

It doesn't seem to hinder my ability to see detail, in fact, I think it helps. I can play for very long periods of time with no issue. 

Bring MAG to PS4!
Message 51 of 130 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
246 posts

May 22, 2014

@spyder_21 

i have a 42" which is good enough for me i sit about 4-6 feet away from my tv. so anywhere from 42-55 i would say.

3D isnt a consern to me

Message 52 of 130 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25319 posts

May 22, 2014

you projector guys must have awesome set ups because every time i look at them they look terrible compared to the new high tech tvs. id really love to see a crystal clear projection gaming set up. would be awesome if someone had an IMAX 3 story tall set up for gaming.. mind BLOWN.

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 53 of 130 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25319 posts

May 22, 2014

TheLastNinja- wrote:

I've been playing on a Dell 24" LCD monitor for the past 4~5 years. Its optimum resolution is 1920x1080@60Hz.

MIA_Philly wrote:

For those on moniters and smaller TVs how far away do you sit from them? also do these smaller TVs help or hurt or do not effect your gaming fun, ability to see detail and length of time you can play in a single sitting?

I sit somewhere between 2 and 4 feet from the monitor. I'm assuming it helps a lot. I remember there being a similar thread on the old MAG forums, most of the top killers played on relatively small screens. I recall a few were still using CRTs. 

I used a 20" CRT in Resistance: Fall of Man's prime, and I was fairly good at it. I wasn't as good when I switched to my current 24" monitor, but rust was another factor by that time. The days before the servers were shut off, I changed my settings to 480p + 4:3 ratio, and that improved my gun game.

It doesn't seem to hinder my ability to see detail, in fact, I think it helps. I can play for very long periods of time with no issue. 

Interesting. I wonder if the smaller screen allows you to actually see more since your vision can see the whole screen at once vs a large tv that  you have to scan all over to see what  you are missing. 

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 54 of 130 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
301 posts

[ Edited ]
May 22, 2014

40" Sony Bravia LED!!! Works unreal with my PS4!!!

Message 55 of 130 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

May 22, 2014
My ps3 and ps4 look great on my tv. Best picture I've ever had at home. In my opinion there is a big difference in graphics and quality between ps4 and ps3. I feel like even netflix looks a tad sharper through my ps4. Everything I've played on a smaller tv looks significantly better on the larger tv. There is so much more detail. I went from a 46" to a 55" and for me it was like night and day. My picture is large clear and detailed.
Message 56 of 130 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25319 posts

May 22, 2014

shelster wrote:

40" Sony Bravia!!! Works unreal with my PS4!!!

those tvss were made in harmony with the ps4 so its no surprise.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 57 of 130 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25319 posts

May 22, 2014

aperfectstranger wrote:
My ps3 and ps4 look great on my tv. Best picture I've ever had at home. In my opinion there is a big difference in graphics and quality between ps4 and ps3. I feel like even netflix looks a tad sharper through my ps4. Everything I've played on a smaller tv looks significantly better on the larger tv. There is so much more detail. I went from a 46" to a 55" and for me it was like night and day. My picture is large clear and detailed.

awesome feedback. i feel the same going from PS3 to PS4 and from 46" to 70"..

Get your Portable ID!
Message 58 of 130 (176 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1004 posts

May 22, 2014
Message 59 of 130 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2641 posts

[ Edited ]
May 22, 2014

I have a Samsung 46" 1080p LED (60Hz) TV and play at 8 feet distance. Works perfect for me, no input latency, no motion blur, sharp detail, great contrast and color balance. 

Message 60 of 130 (171 Views)
0 Likes