Nov 24 2012
By: AKi_nG1 First Son 1 posts

What's the purpose of all the HDD space....

8 replies 193 views Edited Nov 24, 2012
I mean, I obviously cannot copy my games to the PS3 and place the hard disc in a drawer safely where it can't get scratch. Why do I need 120 GB (my 1 yr old slim), or the cheap made 250 GB super slim I bought last night(the plastic cover on top slides over to insert game, wow it looks cheap but not the point)

Why do I need so much space, I cannot run Ubuntu OS like I could on my Fat 40 GB that Black Ops 1 destroyed, so can someone enlighten me??? I guess I could jailbreak it like all my iOS device i5, i4s, 3Gs, 3G, iPad2 becuz 32 GB make sense on those devices, but I play mostly all multiplayer FPS games. I use the media server, so movies aren't saved on it, don't know anyone who save there photos on it.....just need a lil help understanding the point of all that extra hard drive space?!?!?
Message 1 of 9 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5002 posts

Re: What's the purpose of all the HDD space....

Nov 24, 2012

AKi_nG1 wrote:
...I play mostly all multiplayer FPS games. I use the media server, so movies aren't saved on it, don't know anyone who save there photos on it.....just need a lil help understanding the point of all that extra hard drive space?!?!?

I guess I'd have to guess it's for people that DO play other games than mostly FPS's, like the multitude of downloadable games/demos, themes, movies, etc, etc in the store. Downloading music to listen to as custom soundtracks in games that support it. Some games also allow to take in-game screenshots, etc. & save them to the Photo section of the XMB, so they can be transferred to thumbdrive/computer for posting on forums, etc.

I do hope you're a little more enlightened now. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 9 (146 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 24, 2012

HDDs come on all PS3's in the event you want to download a game/movie/DLC from the Store.

Some games have a mandatory install. And some games have rather large save files. Most games, also have updates pushed to them and they can take up anywhere from 10Mb all the way up to 3-5Gb in the most extreme cases.

I have a 500Gb PS3, and it only has about 150Gb left. 
Its loaded with music, movies, games, DLC, photos.....

The PS3's come with hdd's to expandability. And if the hdd starts to get full.... you can upgrade it to a larger capacity, like I did with both of mine

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 9 (145 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 24, 2012

AKi_nG1 wrote:
I mean, I obviously cannot copy my games to the PS3 and place the hard disc in a drawer safely where it can't get scratch. Why do I need 120 GB (my 1 yr old slim), or the cheap made 250 GB super slim I bought last night(the plastic cover on top slides over to insert game, wow it looks cheap but not the point)

Why do I need so much space, I cannot run Ubuntu OS like I could on my Fat 40 GB that Black Ops 1 destroyed, so can someone enlighten me??? I guess I could jailbreak it like all my iOS device i5, i4s, 3Gs, 3G, iPad2 becuz 32 GB make sense on those devices, but I play mostly all multiplayer FPS games. I use the media server, so movies aren't saved on it, don't know anyone who save there photos on it.....just need a lil help understanding the point of all that extra hard drive space?!?!?

Obviously you are new the PS3. There are all kinds of things you can fill the HDD with, if you go to the PS Store you will quickly see. Most people complain that there isn't enough space. 

If you ever become a PS+ member, you will definately need all the space you can get...

Message 5 of 9 (136 Views)
VP of Gaming
28672 posts

Nov 24, 2012

AKi_nG1 wrote:

So you honestly think that games aren't going to get BIGGER as time goes by? 

Message 6 of 9 (114 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 24, 2012

You can download games digitally from the PS store, plus game saves, movies music photos etc. trust me eventually you'll want more hard drive space.

Message 2 of 9 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7108 posts

Nov 24, 2012

I'd kill to have some extra hard drive space at this point. Now that I have Plus, my poor 60GB doesn't have the room to download all of the games. I have to swap out and delete older ones. Once you start downloading, you'll realize just how awesome it is to have a bunch of space. Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10864 posts

Nov 24, 2012

AKi_nG1 wrote:

What?  Do you think games still come on a 700MB CD?  They actually come on a Blu-ray Disc, which is a lot more durable than a CD, but as you say, not the point.  The real beauty of a BD is that it has a capacity of up to 50GB (currently - future BDs will have a capacity of 250GB or more - and yes, the PS3's BD drive is already capable of reading multi-layer BDs, as are all BD drives/readers).

But the disc aside, yeah, as others have stated, there are a lot of full games available on the PSN Store that can take upwards of 18GB.  You download 20 or 30 games and you'll start feeling fortunate that you have the space for them.

Message 8 of 9 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
2 posts

Nov 24, 2012

FOR THE SAME REASON YOU HAVE 2, 4 TB HARD DIVES IN YOUR COMPUTER!

Message 9 of 9 (55 Views)
0 Likes