Mar 03 2012
By: Zombiepixel Monster Hunter 44 posts

What's taking up all of the space on my memory card?!

8 replies 175 views Edited Mar 3, 2012

Aside from game data from my cartridge games (uncharted, hot shots golf vita) I've only installed the Unit 13 demo (864mb) and the Twitter app, and my 4gb card only has 400mb free?!?

What else is being stored on my card? System update files? Save files? WTH is going on here?

Message 1 of 9 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
842 posts

Re: What's taking up all of the space on my memory card?!

Mar 3, 2012

Sorry, I moved in yesterday. hope thats ok.

Ha, kidding.

Well the demo is about 900mb, plus the twitter app thats about 950mb, save files total thats maybe about 1GB so yeah you got about 2GB missing somewhere.

Did it take you several tries to install the demo? It could have used the free space multiple times so you could have "broken files" in there taking up space (aka corrupt data from an unfinished download)

Are you postive you havn't downloaded anything else?

It would be a good idea to check your memory card and see if anything else is on there. It may need a reformatting if you cant solve the issue. I suggest backing up all of your data on the PS3/PC and formatting the memory card, and then transfering it all back (Note: This will delete your trophies saved on the memory card UNTILL you Re-Sync them) That should fix the memory problem, but only do this if nothing shows up in your memory card files on the vita, and nothing shows up via content manager.

Message 2 of 9 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Mar 3, 2012

You don't actually have the full 4GB on the card to start with. The actual available space will be less.

Message 3 of 9 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
842 posts

Mar 3, 2012

Yeah probably around 3.4- 3.6gb of actual space.

but even so, from what he described he only used 1GB of space, and has 400mb left, so he has1.4gb accounted for; he should at least have about 2GB more.

Message 4 of 9 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Mar 3, 2012

In the system menu I have 3.822gb of available space but only 422mb free.

I have downloaded and installed a couple of psp games but I've removed them. Is there something I have to do to free up that space?

How does the twitter app take up 950mb?! It's only listed at 4mb on PSN. I'vee also never had a problem with any install so I don't think it would be broken files.

Is there any way to see whats actually on the memory card?

Message 5 of 9 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
842 posts

Mar 3, 2012

Nono, I meant the Unit 13 demo + Twitter are around 950mb together. Well, I assumed the twitter app was around 50mb, because netflix and facebook were.

Anyway, since you never had a problem with install or anything of the sort, you may have to resort to reformatting your memory card.

You should be able to physically see what is on the memory card itself using content manager.

Message 6 of 9 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Mar 5, 2012

I reformatted the memory card and all is now right in the force. I wish I knew what caused the problem.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 9 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
529 posts

Mar 5, 2012

I have the same issue. All I have remaining on my 4GB card is some music and netflix but it's telling me I have 1.6GB free. It's much worse on my 32GB stick and I only have those 3 free games installed on that one. If the vita reserves memory for system performance, Sony should say so because that 4GB stick should be free due to low available/free space left over.

Final Fantasy XI: Darklordsidius
(Caitsith) *Ragnarok*

Gaming since 1982
Message 8 of 9 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
50 posts

Mar 5, 2012

I don't seem to have that issue with my 4GB card. I redownloaded Tactics Ogre which is over a 1gb, I have Twitter, Facebook, Plants vs Zombies, and Escape Plan. I'm getting low around the 1Gb range but that makes sense with the games I've downloaded.

Message 9 of 9 (175 Views)
0 Likes