Mar 17 2013
By: letrinox42 First Son 26 posts
Accepted Solution

What's Sony doing different with PS4?

11 replies 279 views Edited Mar 17, 2013

I've read from several people regarding the PS4 that with this next console, Sony is "going back to its roots." What does this mean?

Message 1 of 12 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2142 posts

Re: What's Sony doing different with PS4?

Mar 17, 2013

letrinox42 wrote:

I've read from several people regarding the PS4 that with this next console, Sony is "going back to its roots." What does this mean?

IMO there is yet anything special with the PS4.  Other than a laptop style touchpad on the controller, and the system understanding your likes and dislikes.  There is nothing that really stands out for me to buy the PS4 just yet.  To your question about Sony "Going back to its roots" I don't see it at all in the new PS4. 

I really want the PS4, just nothing yet has shown me anything that makes me have to buy it now.

I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 2 of 12 (268 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9600 posts

Mar 17, 2013

letrinox42 wrote:

More advertising, developer friendly console, more gaming focused.

Message 3 of 12 (250 Views)
Lombax Warrior
209 posts

Mar 17, 2013

Emerald_Swords wrote:

letrinox42 wrote:

More advertising, developer friendly console, more gaming focused.

Pretty much this. With PS3 the initial PR came off to some as a bit arrogant, and since they were coming off of the ultra successful PS2 they tried to repeat that success with a super charged console with pure muscle.

With PS4, this type of approach is no longer emphasized. Like the PS One, the fous seems to be returning to games, and Much like its competitor did in 2005, emphasizes that point often even when it comes to system specs.

I do hope the system is relatively cheap this time at launch. It will also need new, different games to set itself apart from what defined this passing gen.

Message 4 of 12 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2142 posts

Mar 17, 2013

blu_7 wrote

With PS4, this type of approach is no longer emphasized. Like the PS One, the fous seems to be returning to games, and Much like its competitor did in 2005, emphasizes that point often even when it comes to system specs.

I do hope the system is relatively cheap this time at launch. It will also need new, different games to set itself apart from what defined this passing gen.

Yeah personally I see it focus seems to be Social and less gaming.  We don't need people to take over our controller, what's the point of playing a game if you have someone do it for you.  We don't need people to watch over us while we play.  We just need an really good PSN experience, based on Multiplayer Online Gaming. 

I agree with you 100% there.  It will need different games, why buy a PS4 to play a game that might be on another system.  Most important we need ORIGINAL Games, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB sport games are all the same, too many COD games out there, just need some new ORIGINAL games to come to the PS4 to make people wanting to buy the system.

I noticed they are building the PS4 around developers, but why are they not asking Gamers what they would like before they started the PS4.  The Developers are not buying the systems, we are, so why did we not get someone a say in what we like?

Message 5 of 12 (214 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28984 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2013

spyder_21 wrote:

blu_7 wrote

Yeah personally I see it focus seems to be Social and less gaming.  We don't need people to take over our controller, what's the point of playing a game if you have someone do it for you.  We don't need people to watch over us while we play.  We just need an really good PSN experience, based on Multiplayer Online Gaming. 

I agree with you 100% there.  It will need different games, why buy a PS4 to play a game that might be on another system.  Most important we need ORIGINAL Games, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB sport games are all the same, too many COD games out there, just need some new ORIGINAL games to come to the PS4 to make people wanting to buy the system.

I noticed they are building the PS4 around developers, but why are they not asking Gamers what they would like before they started the PS4.  The Developers are not buying the systems, we are, so why did we not get someone a say in what we like?

All of those games sell and they sell VERY well. So they aren't going anywhere. I know that "gamers" aren't the biggest sports fans, however you have to understand that with over $200 BILLION spent on sports merchandise every year in the U.S., sports games are are license to print money. And "original" doesn't always sell.

As far as the idea that they are focusing on "Social and less gaming", that's nonsense. Sony isn't going to make the PS4 a Facebook machine. They are still focusing on games, only they are putting a more social aspect on them. Again, maybe "gamers" are the wrong audience, however they have to look beyond the people who want to just play things like Half Life. 

They aren't asking "gamers" because quite frankly, they have no idea what they want, and they often come up with very BAD ideas. Disc changers? Interchangable parts? Video card upgrades? These aren't exactly "new" ideas, and they're not even good ones. So if the gamer community comes up with a bad idea, and it gains traction, Sony is supposed to implement it anyway? That would be a recipe for disaster.

Message 6 of 12 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2142 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2013

@CaptainAlbator
There is no doubt that sport games sell big, I have a friend that is a big Madden Fan and loves playing it and always gets the new one every year.  Original games are a big gamble because they are NEW and no one knows how well they will take off.  Either its a HIT and they make more of them like "Halo" or they are a flop and gets pushed away and never see another one again.
Until I see more about the PS4, from what I seen the 20th, its hard for me to see the PS4 as a gaming machine.  I don't know its just how I seen the PlayStation Event.  Yes they talked about what the system is capable of, but also stated one of the 5 Key Points it was being built on was Social.  Now I don't think they would make it a Facebook machine,  its just I hate that site and everything is revolved around it "Makes me sick".  No I'm not jealous, its just I don't need to know what you are doing every min. Of the day.  That aside, I am really excited about the PS4 to some extent, I can't wait till E3 to see what it will bring to the table.  If nothing has really changed about the PS4 (Better graphics don't' sell me) then I am going to put it off till I see how the gaming library is.
As far as asking about Gamers idea you won't know unless you ask.  Take Cross-Game-Chat as an example, a lot of people wanted it for the PS3 from Day1.  Now if Sony knew how much people wanted it, then maybe they would of took a more serious look into it and maybe made it actually happen before the PS3 came out, I don't' know.   Its just some gamers will have a good idea (Not me), on how to improve the system but others will suggest crap.  I am sure Sony knows how to sort thru the crap.  If they just had a forum you could fill out with the top 3 things you would like to see in the PS4 and seen how many got the most requests then took that into consideration, then maybe we could see a feature we wanted right out of the box.  They didn't have to use our ideas, but just for them to suggest something like that would of been nice.

Crap it did not post everything and forgot what all I typed.

Message 7 of 12 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
654 posts

Mar 17, 2013

I like the social features they've mentioned.  I've always enjoyed playing games as part of a community; including singleplayer gaes.  If Sony can mainstream services like Twitch and ustream, there is potential for a lot of money to be made.  From what I've seen, it seems like ustream will be integrated into the PS4.  I don't know that I like the Share button on the controller, however..

I agree that they didn't announce anything to "Wow!" consumers, but I feel like they've left plenty of, potentially undecided, features out, so I still have hope.

Message 8 of 12 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Mar 18, 2013
I kinda want a ps4 but like so and so said nothing stands out for me and I'd rather buy the 500gb ps3
Message 9 of 12 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
437 posts

Mar 18, 2013

The Vita/PS4 connectivity has my attention. It's one of the reasons I just purchased a Vita this past Friday.

Message 10 of 12 (141 Views)
0 Likes