Jun 13 2013
By: GrayGargoyle PlayStation MVP 11514 posts

What reason is there to be psyched about the PlayStation 4?

8 replies 103 views Edited Jun 13, 2013

For the first time in a new console cycle, I can officially say that I'm not too interested in taking the leap. Out of all the features revealed, whether it's transferring your Wii U game to the GamePad when someone wants to watch TV, whether it's using your voice to flip between channels and the Xbox One when your entertainment center is structured with the system, or whether it's the ability to play games immediately right as you begin downloading them to your PlayStation 4, none of these functions are what sell me on the system. Although they can help once they're being used, if ever there comes a need for that to happen, what sells me the most on a new platform is its gaming library.

The sad part is that none of these systems so far have provided enough software that speaks to me as a consumer, at least in the sense that makes me think, "Hey, I've got to have me one of those." Where is all the alluring software? I can easily overlook the Xbox One as much of its library is action or shooter-heavy, and not with the kind of games that look too inviting. The Wii U has a lot of repeats coming, whether it's Wii Fit 2, the restructured Super Mario World 3D, or of course yet another Smash Bros. game. Little that has been shown off doesn't give enough inventive to think that buying one of these platforms in the near future is the right move to make.

Then there's the PlayStation 4. What games does it have that look worthy of bringing home? The Witness still ranks up there as the most significant piece of software I've seen up to this point. That's kind of a disappointment though when you think about it, putting a simpler puzzle game ahead of all these bigger titles ranging from Knack to Kingdom Hearts III. Final Fantasy XV though is something I think that I'd want to play, but given how this game was formerly the undesirable Final Fantasy Versus XIII I have a feeling like the game won't be able to bring the franchise back to its former glory. Then there's the possibility of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. The only thing is that Solid Snake sounds nothing like Solid Snake anymore. He sounds like Keifer Sutherland. I keep thinking that it would be impossible to wrap Keifer's uninspired vocals around my head as the same character that I grew to love so long ago.

Considering that misery loves company, in essence I'm curious to find out whether I'm the only one who feels this way about the PlayStation 4. If not, can anyone inspire me? Of all the platforms coming up, the PlayStation 4 does have the strongest magnetism, yet its gaming library doesn't grab me like it should. I definitely would not pay $60 for most of its games, ranging from Infamous: Second Son, Drive Club, The Elder Scrolls Online, or even Diablo III. It just feels like for the first time in E3 history the preview for the coming months has almost nothing to show for itself.

Message 1 of 9 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
12318 posts

Re: What reason is there to be psyched about the PlayStation 4?

Jun 13, 2013
How DARE YOU call big boss solid snake. Yes solid snake is a clone, but they are two different people
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Message 2 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8267 posts

Jun 13, 2013

Smiley LOL

Out of all that... Thats what you pulled from haha but you are right.

Message 3 of 9 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Jun 13, 2013

the only reason im getting a ps4 is because its the lastest model, and everyone gotta have the lastest model right? Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9 (71 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11514 posts

Jun 13, 2013

Big Boss has the same voice actor as Solid Snake though. At least he did in the earlier Metal Gear Solid series. But you're right, I forgot that in this version he would be Big Boss.

Message 5 of 9 (68 Views)
PlayStation MVP
8267 posts

Jun 13, 2013

Hey Gray Im looking forward to this...

Im sure they will release more titles that you would like.... you know... I guess just the ones they revealed havent appealed to you YET but Im sure there could be games behind the scenes that you would like as the console gets close to release.

I wasnt mind blown during E3 but hey we know Sony has some of the best titles out so Im sure they wont let that legacy down.

More will come and you will be all mushy mushy for the games to come.

Dont worry everything will be alright  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9 (53 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9556 posts

Jun 13, 2013
I think the "non-gaming" feature that I am most looking forward to is being able to record my gameplay, even if it's only to keep for my own enjoyment.  Yes, it sounds like the 'PVR' features are hidden behind the 'share' button, which actually makes sense, since most people that record their gameplay do so to share via youtube or facebook.  A lot of people have stated that they don't intend to use the Share button, but they'll be missing out on a pretty cool feature.

I recently purchased the Elgato Game Capture, and find that while it is extremely nice to have, it's a little bit of a hassle to switch between being able to record (which is done via Component from the PS3's A/V Multi-out) and watching/playing 3D content (which requires the HDMI output).  Having an extra HDMI cable has definitely helped in this situation, since now all I have to do is switch the output on the PS3's XMB and the input channel on the TV.

Being able to record straight to the PS4's HDD will be a great, useful feature, particularly if it works with older games once the Gaikai Legacy streaming goes live.

Message 7 of 9 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2785 posts

Jun 13, 2013

I agree that there isn't really anything on the next gen consoles that I am "looking forward" to using. All of the games I have looked into seem like improvements on what we already have. Last generation I was more excited by the Wii because it was something I had never seen before (although it turned out to be pretty disappointing). I feel like new generations should also bring about feelings of innovation, but I don't feel that for the next generation. And I don't like it when I see so many sequels in the lineup.

For this generation my greatest criticism of the ps3 before and after its launch was that it felt like a ps2 with better graphics, so I felt the same way I do now. I saw no reason to buy a ps3 since I didn't care for graphics but eventually received it as a gift. When I actually started using it though, I realized how limited the ps2 actually was. Maybe that's why I'm excited about the next generation, although the actual limitations are not apparent to me yet. Only time will tell though.

Feel free to add my newer account NatalieG_

Message 8 of 9 (50 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11514 posts

Jun 13, 2013

What I remember about the PlayStation 3 when I first started slobbering over the system was that the visuals looked worlds improved over the PlayStation 2 games. Yeah, PlayStation 2 games were good looking and everything, but the PlayStation 3 games were a giant leap technology-wise. Compared to the PlayStation 4 though, the next evolution in graphics isn't at a capacity that seems to be that far off from the PlayStation 3's capabilities. Sure enough there are certain games that do look absolutely gorgeous, such as Capcom's Deep Down. What that game will be is kind of a mystery at this point though. Mostly resembling a next-gen Dragon's Dogma, the game has me wondering if that's what the company will turn the game into.

And comparing this all to the PlayStation 2 even, I even remember being amazed by the graphics in PlayStation 2 games when I was waiting in line to buy one on the overhead monitor. This time I'm looking at the visuals and Killzone: Shadow Fall looks a lot like Killzone 2 or 3. I'm looking at Infamous: Second Son, and while it does have more impressive graphics than the earlier games it also doesn't look like a game I would rush out to buy. I've never been a big fan of the franchise anyway. And Knack doesn't look all that impressive visually. While the game has a somewhat cutesy style, it's also not the kind of game I would pay big money to play on day one. Speaking of Drive Club though, the last time a racing game actually had my attention was the incredible graphics I saw from the original MotorStorm. Drive Club by comparison doesn't have the same kind of innovation that MotorStorm did when it bunched together various vehicles in a dirt-filled landscape.

Message 9 of 9 (37 Views)
0 Likes