0 Likes
MVP Support
23300 posts

Re: What next gen consoles need to survive

Dec 21, 2012

ThreeSixtySucks wrote:

Check this out

http://wp.me/p2WAZQ-w

Instead of us clicking on your link how about just telling us. I don't trust unfamiliar links.

Message 2 of 14 (202 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8116 posts

Dec 21, 2012

ThreeSixtySucks wrote:

Check this out

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK here is a list that Sony and Microsoft need to stick to to survive, in my opinion:

1) Dual HDD slots 1 for main HDD or SSD and a 2nd for Data such as movies, music, pictures and a setting to use it for installed game data as well.

2) Upgradeable video cards, once every couple of years or so, an upgraded version of whats in the system could be offered via limited quantity and pre-order, this way limiting the amount cost the manufacturer forks out on garbage.

3) 4 USB 3.0 slots minimum, 2+ in the back for cameras and other accessories of that sort and 2 in front for headphones and USB drives. Cuz this [removed] with 2 USB ports in the front [removed].

4) Customizable dashboard, yeah yeah, Xbox has [removed] avatars, PS3 has dynamic themes, but come on, windows 8 did something right, being able to drag and drop apps to where you want them makes you feel like your in control of [removed]. Now I am 100% sure neXtbox will end up using Windows 8, but Sony for some odd reason can’t make up their [removed] minds on [removed] they want to use.

5) More colors, white and black have been around since before Atari I think, oddly enough the handheld market of systems normally come in a variety of colors and Japan once in awhile will get awesome colors, but we have to wait till the end of the systems life to get some crappy dark green system in a [removed] bundle of games we already own.

My reaction to the post is mixed. I partly agree on some parts, agree on one point, but disagree on some parts.

1. Dual HDD Slots may be nice to have, but the most important is to keep the HDDs an open standard like the PS3 has right now. An SSD for game data and an HDD for mass storage of media might be nice though.

2. Disagree. Absolutely disagree. The advantage of consoles over PCs is that there is ONE CPU, ONE set of specs and ONE GPU. Fragmenting the userbase by adding variations of videocards won't be good for games, as developers would have to accomodate variations of builds rather than optimizing one and only one set of specs.

3. Fully agree on this one, I have a PS3 with Rear USB Ports myself and the cable organization is fantastic!

4. A fully customizable XMB would win me over, depends on what they mean by customizable though.

5. While many colors is nice to have, I think it's unrealistic to produce, like, 10 different colors and expect people to buy them all up equally.

Message 3 of 14 (196 Views)
PlayStation MVP
16650 posts

Dec 21, 2012

Doppelgangergang wrote:

ThreeSixtySucks wrote:

Check this out

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK here is a list that Sony and Microsoft need to stick to to survive, in my opinion:

1) Dual HDD slots 1 for main HDD or SSD and a 2nd for Data such as movies, music, pictures and a setting to use it for installed game data as well.

2) Upgradeable video cards, once every couple of years or so, an upgraded version of whats in the system could be offered via limited quantity and pre-order, this way limiting the amount cost the manufacturer forks out on garbage.

3) 4 USB 3.0 slots minimum, 2+ in the back for cameras and other accessories of that sort and 2 in front for headphones and USB drives. Cuz this [removed] with 2 USB ports in the front [removed].

4) Customizable dashboard, yeah yeah, Xbox has [removed] avatars, PS3 has dynamic themes, but come on, windows 8 did something right, being able to drag and drop apps to where you want them makes you feel like your in control of [removed]. Now I am 100% sure neXtbox will end up using Windows 8, but Sony for some odd reason can’t make up their [removed] minds on [removed] they want to use.

5) More colors, white and black have been around since before Atari I think, oddly enough the handheld market of systems normally come in a variety of colors and Japan once in awhile will get awesome colors, but we have to wait till the end of the systems life to get some crappy dark green system in a [removed] bundle of games we already own.

My reaction to the post is mixed. I partly agree on some parts, agree on one point, but disagree on some parts.

1. Dual HDD Slots may be nice to have, but the most important is to keep the HDDs an open standard like the PS3 has right now. An SSD for game data and an HDD for mass storage of media might be nice though.

Within the next 2-3 years we'll see the price of large capacity SSD's shrink to at least HALF of what they are today so having 2 hdd slots might be way too overkill, IMO.

2. Disagree. Absolutely disagree. The advantage of consoles over PCs is that there is ONE CPU, ONE set of specs and ONE GPU. Fragmenting the userbase by adding variations of videocards won't be good for games, as developers would have to accomodate variations of builds rather than optimizing one and only one set of specs.
Agreed. Consoles have always been a uniform spec and changing ONE of the major pieces of hardware will alienate and divide the user-base. I sure wouldn't want to HAVE to upgrade to be able to play a game, or simply have better graphics than another...
I've already seen this with a few gaming laptops that have upgradable GPU's (MXM Connector) such as Sager Notebooks or Eagle notebook PCs... The implementation is costly, and most of the time you're limited in upgradable choices ANYWAY because you're limited to a certain voltage spec so you'll either resort to overclocking and undervolting what you already have ANYWAY to get a boost in GPU performance.

3. Fully agree on this one, I have a PS3 with Rear USB Ports myself and the cable organization is fantastic!
Meh, I'm undecided on it

4. A fully customizable XMB would win me over, depends on what they mean by customizable though.
This.

5. While many colors is nice to have, I think it's unrealistic to produce, like, 10 different colors and expect people to buy them all up equally.
This. If you compare sales of different colored/special edition consoles they're not as good as the vanilla colors... Sure people can say "but but, this version sold out etc etc".... thats primarily because they were limited production in the first place.
If people REALLY wanted to have a different color on their console... they can paint it themselves as there are plenty of resources out there to customize your console how you want. Its really not that hard. As for the argument about warranties... There are a few places online where you can buy and customize a console, like ColorwarePC, and offer a 100% warranty from the manufacturer through them. 

My cousin did this with his University of Texas scheme on his 3000 series Slim PS3.... he not only bought it through them, but he also bought an extended warranty through them. And it worked out for him, he had his Slim get a DRE and a YLOD (surprisingly) and 2 weeks later he got the same PS3 back, fixed, with 2 years left on his warranty

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 4 of 14 (189 Views)
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Dec 22, 2012

Xbox 360 man, That box kicks major but on Gears of  War and Halo i just use my PS3 for Twisted Metal. If PS3 went down BaLogni it wouldnt be a huge impact on anything maybe to a 4 year old little girl.

Message 5 of 14 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
255 posts

Dec 22, 2012
whatever Sony does to the Playstation 4, i just want backward compatibility and improved chat capabilities. I have many PS1/PS2 games that i will not buy again unless i get some sort of credit for them (stores already rejected them because they are too old) so i refuse to pay again for a game i already have. And of course, Voice chat with friends outside of the same game.

Thats all i want. Im sure the next gen console can handle it
-suddenly... life has a new meaning-
Message 6 of 14 (145 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28069 posts

Dec 22, 2012

Doppelgangergang wrote:

ThreeSixtySucks wrote:

Check this out

Absolutely not on Number Two. That defeats the entire purpose of buying a console. I don't want to go out and get the latest and greatest game, only to see a spec sticker on the back that says "Requires Sony GPU 2.0 or higher". There's so many people out there who honestly believe that making it more difficult to use would be "improving" the console. It's most definitely would not.

More USB ports are always a good idea, but some of this stuff that this guy suggests is what I'd call window dressing.

Message 7 of 14 (134 Views)
Gaming Beast
2203 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2012

They need a miracle to survive, alot of games are dumb.  They are running out of ideas i think.  The only thing that sony has going for them is if alot of people rebuy the games we played on ps3 in 720p on ps4 in 1080p.

Out of 100 games id only enjoy playing 50 of them to 100%.  Just telling the truth.

Its whatever Jesus and God says it is.
Message 8 of 14 (130 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28069 posts

Dec 22, 2012

TheDster wrote:

They need a miracle to survive, alot of games are dumb.  They are running out of ideas i think.  The only thing that sony has going for them is if alot of people rebuy the games we played on ps3 in 720p on ps4 in 1080p.

Out of 100 games id only enjoy playing 50 of them to 100%.  Just telling the truth.

You're "telling the truth" as you see it, and it's with a HEAPING dose of what I'd call "gamer logic". That's just the law of averages. There are going to be far more bad to decent games released, than there will be good to great games. It's not the faul of developers that "gamers" have developed the unrealistic expectation that EVERY single game is going to be this mind blowing, and world changing experience.

If you keep buying the same games over and over again, then guess what? They will make the same games over and over again. Want something different? Then don't line up at GameStop at midnight to buy the latest shooter.

Message 9 of 14 (124 Views)
PlayStation MVP
16650 posts

Dec 22, 2012

TheDster wrote:

575532_438578256201222_945417585_n.jpg

I dont think this is 50 games.... more like 200 or so....

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 10 of 14 (107 Views)
0 Likes