Oct 03 2012
By: XxLiMiT- First Son 32 posts

What is your take on pay-to-play

10 replies 142 views Edited Oct 3, 2012

A few games are going  to this format, where you have to pay to play the game online or unlock certain features that makes you better, i.e Battlefield 3. This has been around for computer games for a while and do you think companies will follow in EA's footsteps?

Message 1 of 11 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: What is your take on pay-to-play

Oct 3, 2012

You mean FREE-To-Play?

Or just DLC?

buying better items like more powerful weapons, or armor or whatever else does not make anyone any better..... its having the skill that counts more.

I actually havent bought any DLC this year because I havent had much time to enjoy video games. 
But I do extremely well in any case without the DLC because I have developed SKILL. It took getting used playing BF3 but now I am almost always ranked #1 in the entire lobby.

On PC I play Free-To-Play games, and even there, i do not buy anything, but again, my skill always keeps me at the top of the ranking ladder in the lobby.

People have started calling this "pay to win" , which I think is out of jealousy of not being in the right financial situation or those who simply hate just out of spite

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 11 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Oct 3, 2012
I really don't know what to think when it comes to online pass. Some say the money goes to developers to make up for used games, which I find understandable, and other people say that the money just goes to publishers.

Day 1 DLC I have a problem with because when you buy a new game for $60, you are basically getting an unfinished product and the content is most likely already on the disc anyway, but you have to pay extra money to access it. Capcom is especially guilty of this.

If they keep up Day one DLC (aka disc locked content), they really need to bring down that $60 price tag. All we (as gamers) can do until then is resist the urge to purchase that content.
Message 3 of 11 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Oct 3, 2012

louie540 wrote:
I really don't know what to think when it comes to online pass. Some say the money goes to developers to make up for used games, which I find understandable, and other people say that the money just goes to publishers. That depends on who is paying for the service..... if the publisher is providing the online servers then the publisher gets the money or at least splits it with the developer who creates additional content and creates the online updates to the games.

Day 1 DLC I have a problem with because when you buy a new game for $60, you are basically getting an unfinished product and the content is most likely already on the disc anyway, but you have to pay extra money to access it. Capcom is especially guilty of this.
This is more to do trying to expand their overall sales figures. Its not a unfinished product, if that were true then every game is an unfinished product.... DLC is a means to increase replayability over the course of the games support which typically lasts about 1 year. Its also a timing issue..... sometimes the publisher has to just push the release of a game, so the developer then gets to work some DLC. 
I think people who really buy Day 1 DLC are wasting their money, at least initially.... I never buy DLC until it beat the single-player component at least once. I also read reviews first

If they keep up Day one DLC (aka disc locked content), they really need to bring down that $60 price tag. All we (as gamers) can do until then is resist the urge to purchase that content.
I dont think that should be done.... I just think that Day 1 DLC should be free... many games have done this. 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 11 (117 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Oct 3, 2012

No I don't mean free to play I mean when you buy a game for 60 dollars then all of a sudden there is a DLC out there that unlocks all of a certain item at a level where you are not supposed to have it. Ya it takes skill to play most of the games out there, but whats your take on how the devolpers making you pay more money for the game after you buy it to make the game playable. Its almost like a hidden fee. 

Message 5 of 11 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2612 posts

Oct 3, 2012

Pay to play is nothing but pure evil!

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 6 of 11 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

XxLiMiT- wrote:

No I don't mean free to play I mean when you buy a game for 60 dollars then all of a sudden there is a DLC out there that unlocks all of a certain item at a level where you are not supposed to have it. Ya it takes skill to play most of the games out there, but whats your take on how the devolpers making you pay more money for the game after you buy it to make the game playable. Its almost like a hidden fee. 

I see it like this...... to increase gameplay/replayability and increase profits to pay the people who work 10-12-14-16 hour days or more to create content.

People these days are way too quick to throw away their money "just because" especially when the global economy to include the US economy is not very good. And then they get mad when they see what they bought is not what they expected.......
Too many people dont bother to read reviews and look at videos and such and dont make an educated decision, instead they say things like "shut up and take my money" and then they wonder why their phone or internet service has been cut off or their car repossessed or being evicted from their dwelling, or cant afford to put gas in their car to go to work so they burden other people to take them to work etc etc......

We are simply in an age were people are quick to argue, quick to complain, quick to spend money, and have this expectation that the world owes them everything or having some false sense of entitlement simply because of their upbrining or where they came from...

If anyone gets upset about DLC and other money wasters..... they put that on themselves because no one ever thinks twice/look before they leap anymore.... and then they blame everyone but themselves when things go wrong or dont like whats happening since they dont read the fine print anymore....

Society today is full of nothing but HIPSTERS aka idiots who think they are individuals by dressing the same as someone else because "it just looks cool". 

You'd have to be a SAINT to raise a child in todays world.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 11 (92 Views)
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Oct 4, 2012

Isnt the reason a game is made in the first place is to pay to play. You buy the game so you are paying to play from the start and if you want to add to the game(DLC). You have to pay for that too some companies give you some free dlc but that is not the standard, games are products. Products are made to make money if you dont want to spend your money on the product then dont but I beleive all games are pay to play, unless you are talking about a free to play product but they still have ways of makeing money no game is free. As far as chargeing for a online pass on used games I think its a great way for the developers to recoup some cost on used games, this trend is going to get more popular as we move forward. There has been alot of talk about getting rid of the used game market but would be a nightmare to do so the answer they came up with is the online pass. 

Message 8 of 11 (75 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Oct 7, 2012
Could have not said it better myself. I agree with you 100%
Message 9 of 11 (56 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Oct 7, 2012
Yes the developers do get money using the online pass system, but how much money are they really losing? Is it really hurting their company? Im not looking for numbers but just asking; They make 60 dollars for the game in the first 3-4 months maybe a little longer according to the game. Thats a lot of money to be made
Message 10 of 11 (56 Views)
0 Likes