Jan 18 2007
By: zee4600~ First Son 2 posts

What is UPnP on the PS3 and why is it "Not Available" for me?

36 replies 209147 views Edited Jan 18, 2007
When i test connection is says upnp unavaible, could that be the cause of my continuous wireless internet disconnects and reconnects on my playstation 3??
Message 1 of 37 (209,147 Views)
Last Guardian
11832 posts

Re: What is UPnP on the PS3 and why is it "Not Available" for me?

Jan 18, 2007
bump, I want to know what upnp is too.
Message 2 of 37 (209,143 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
441 posts

Jan 18, 2007
isnt uPnP another type of network for some ISPs?
I'm not sure though
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 3 of 37 (209,143 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
207 posts

Jan 18, 2007
Universal Plug and play.

You 1st need to go to your router and make sure gaming and upnp is enabled.
get to your router by typing ip addy. such as 198.162.0.1

this is meant to get around putting your ps3 in the dmz

next you need to go to your ps3 network setting and go through and do manual settings, dont change anything but when you get to the upnp, go ahead and enable it.

now when you go back to the screen after your saved, you should see it say not available. If you didnt enable it at all it will say disabled. But if it says not available its on.

Once you put a game in (depending on which game) Since some games open different ports. It sends a signal from your ps3 to your router to open the specific ports for that game.

thats why it says unavailable after you turn it on, b/c its hasnt sent the signal for the from the game to open ports b/c youve not gone online, but once you do it will send the signal.

just dont forget you MUST go into your router to have and make it enabled to get the signal.

this should keep you from endangering your ps3 by putting outside the dmz, it wil open ports without the port forwarding mess.

We tested and tested, this solution all of to finally connect and not have to do funky stuff to connect to friends, once all of us did this we could connect w/ no probs.

Message 4 of 37 (209,143 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jan 25, 2009
Where you you "Type in" your IP Address to get to your router? You just said you need to "Type in your ip addy" theres about a million places where you can type it in, so I'd just like to know which one.
Message 5 of 37 (209,143 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5436 posts

Jan 25, 2009

Universal Plug n Play

but not all routers support it.

320gb Slim
500gb Slim
SoftModded Wii with 640GB HDD
320gb XBox 360 S
LG 55" 120Hz LCD
LG 1000w 5.1
42" Panasonic Viera Plasma
4TB Media Server
320GB HD PVR

Playstation Plus Member

Gaming Since 1983
Message 6 of 37 (209,143 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Jan 25, 2009
Simply put, the UPnP feature gives your PS3 the ability to open and close ports it needs for your PS3 to connect to the internet as well as the games on your PS3.  The reason why people set up "static ip's" is b/c their router might not support UPnP.  If such is the case, you need to manually open up the ports for your PS3 and its games to connect to the internet uninterrupted. 
Message 7 of 37 (209,143 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
401 posts

Jan 25, 2009

squidden wrote:
Where you you "Type in" your IP Address to get to your router? You just said you need to "Type in your ip addy" theres about a million places where you can type it in, so I'd just like to know which one.
browser address bar

Circle Se7en Gaming - Video Games, Collectible/Trading Card Games, Supplies and More!
Message 8 of 37 (209,142 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Jan 25, 2009
I did that it brought me to google and said "the line has been broken"
Message 9 of 37 (209,142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 30, 2009

That may not be the IP address that you need to type in, then.  Each router has a different IP address by default.  Your best bet is to find the brand and model number of your router and search for it in google (eg. linksys wrt54g IP).  You will also need to know the default router password (NOT the password you use to connect to it, it is a separate administrative password), which will likely be found in the same google search.  However, by default, most are set to admin/admin or admin/ .  Note that means simply to leave the password field blank.

So find your router's default IP, type that into your address bar, and you will be prompted to log in.  Use those credentials, and you should be able to log into the router.  If you are not used to it, you wil be surprised by all of the information that is available from this interface.  Don't be daunted.  The selection you are looking for is most likely located under a tab entitled 'wireless.' Set the channel manually, resynch all of your gadgets, and have fun.

Note:  A bit out of the normal range, I use channel 11 because it seems to get the best results on my Wii as well as the PS3.  However, I was living in an apartment complex when I set it up, so each person will have different results, depending on where they are.

Message 10 of 37 (209,142 Views)