Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 31 2011
By: Kristian_Roque Lombax Warrior 148 posts

What happens to my PSN purchases?

12 replies 1578 views Edited Dec 31, 2010

Hi you guys, I have purchased almost 4 seasons of Entourage on my PS3 Slim through the PSN. My question is, what happens to all these files when and if my PS3 ever crashes? Or even if ever the PlayStation Network were to close down? Can I even back these files up and play through my computer or solely through the PlayStation 3? Thanks you guys!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (1,578 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6175 posts

Re: What happens to my PSN purchases?

Dec 31, 2010

for Tv/movies you can't get them back if your PS3 crashes, for some reason, tv/movies are not added to your download list, meaning you are not able to ever redownload them unless you buy them again. Also they can only be played from your PS3, and however you can back them up to a flash drive or external hdd, but they can only be recovered to the same PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (1,578 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Jan 4, 2011

Wait a minute, so if my current PS3 crashes and I get another new one and have backed up my downloaded TV Shows to a Ext HDD. I cannot reload and watch them on new PS3?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (1,578 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6175 posts

Jan 4, 2011

That's correct from what I am told.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (1,578 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
92 posts

Jan 4, 2011

he said external hdd which means it would still be there if your ps3 crashes....

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (1,578 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6175 posts

Jan 4, 2011

I know, but it won't work if it's transfered to a new PS3, like how copy protected saves are, they can only be restored to the same PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (1,578 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Jan 5, 2011

I definitely need to call on this before making anymore purchases. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (1,578 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3812 posts

Jan 6, 2011

chaos_789 wrote:

for Tv/movies you can't get them back if your PS3 crashes, for some reason, tv/movies are not added to your download list, meaning you are not able to ever redownload them unless you buy them again. Also they can only be played from your PS3, and however you can back them up to a flash drive or external hdd, but they can only be recovered to the same PS3.

Most of that is certainly misinformation. TV shows/ Movies are added to the download list only on the "Videos" tab of the PS Store. If you own the movie, it's in the list. Any movie that doesn't need "Activation" can be played on other devices.

Now here's the problem: If your system dies, you can't download video using your account from another ps3 without deactivating the one that broke. You can use the Online manual from the XMB to get the support number for Playstation Network. You can get them to deactivate the system 1 time, then from then on out you'll need to get the system serviced. You'll need the date of purchase from the receipt (or just guess what date it was; ruffle some paper around in your hand).

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (1,578 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6175 posts

Jan 6, 2011

That's not true, I had one full movie from the PSN store, and in the video tab the download list remains empty, as is what the other people also say, movies and tv shows are not added to your download list, so either way you can't redownload a boughten movie. And also note, my ps3 got YLOD, and the movie I had I now cannot get back, it's gone forever.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (1,578 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Apr 8, 2011

I don't know how this makes anything better.  You are still limited to that one particular playstation.

Yes, they say they will re-activate you movie downloads if pay them $129.00 (out of warranty) and send in the playstation in for service.

BUT what if they won't take it in for service because you had opened it to get a stuck disc out.  A disc that wasn't yours and you could not wait weeks to return it. 

OR what if you choose to upgrade to a newer model rather than repair an old one?

So then what do you do, huh? 

What happens then!?!

Oh, wait....I know.......you loose the access to Sh&$ you ALREADY bought!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (1,578 Views)
0 Likes