Uncharted Territory
1493 posts

Re: What happened to the Good Ole Days of Gaming?

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2014

SC-palmettopride wrote:

I remember when it was so fun just to buy a system put in a good game and spend the day playing by yourself or with friends. Going through the levels on pac man on the atari 2600. Playing Mario on the first Nintendo. Playing taken on the ps1,Mario 64 on Nintendo 64. Then came the 360 and xbox live where you could play with others online chat with friends it was really nice. Now everyone seems to want the gaming system for everything but playing games. Netflix,facebook,youtube,twitter,mp3. Whatever happened to just being happy to buying the system to just play games and enjoy it not complaining about what it does not do or do well. It plays games and plays them great can we just be happy with that.

<< Meowstro Edit: I've made a minor edit to your thread title and updated your thread label. More information about Labels Best Practices in PS General. >>

It still here just gotta have multi systems.

Message 21 of 46 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2213 posts

Feb 8, 2014

SC-palmettopride wrote:

I remember when it was so fun just to buy a system put in a good game and spend the day playing by yourself or with friends. Going through the levels on pac man on the atari 2600. Playing Mario on the first Nintendo. Playing taken on the ps1,Mario 64 on Nintendo 64. Then came the 360 and xbox live where you could play with others online chat with friends it was really nice. Now everyone seems to want the gaming system for everything but playing games. Netflix,facebook,youtube,twitter,mp3. Whatever happened to just being happy to buying the system to just play games and enjoy it not complaining about what it does not do or do well. It plays games and plays them great can we just be happy with that.

<< Meowstro Edit: I've made a minor edit to your thread title and updated your thread label. More information about Labels Best Practices in PS General. >>

It went bye bye when ColecoVision went out of business.. Smiley Sad

Message 22 of 46 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3979 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2014
Times were going to change, no matter what, and things will change again in the future. If I were asked about the state of the videogame industry, and gaming as a whole, even a couple years ago, I would say that past gens were vastly superior. However, the recent indie push has changed things for the better IMHO, and I think it has even brought out the best in mainstream devs. Heck, I would say Japanese games have improved greatly in the past couple years too. The bigger Japanese devs seem to be continuing on a downward spiral, but other devs and publishers have stepped in to fill the void. So, I think gaming is the best it has been in years, and it only seems to be getting better.

Gamers were different in the past, but so were game systems. Sure, we had minimal extra features at our disposal, like CD and DVD support, but that's not why we bought consoles. I can't say I blame modern gamers though. They've had consoles with plenty of extra features available to them, and now they want more of that. I would never invest in a console that puts extra stuff before games, but I'm from the old school, which was more centred around the main attraction. Things are different now, so I don't blame modern gamers for being different from gamers in the past.
Message 23 of 46 (101 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1160 posts

Feb 8, 2014
All I do is play games on my console. I game for gaming sake

Just got a PS3! Add me for some online action
Message 24 of 46 (85 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Re: Whatever happened to the good ole days of gaming

Feb 8, 2014

good to see your parents still buy you toys

Message 25 of 46 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14139 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2014

SC-palmettopride wrote:

Problem is that was 1980's/90's.

It's 2010's now. Tech has evolved and so has peoples expectations.

Consoles were evolving from the 3DO and Sega CD onwards when it came to doing more than just games.

Now in this day and age it should be laughable to not have a full out media system with recording capabilities as a console. that is the age we live in. It's not 20/30 years ago anymore.

Message 26 of 46 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2565 posts

Feb 8, 2014
It's just because you are getting old that you feel like this

When boys from today grow up they will be like, "when will a good game like mincraft come out again?"
Message 27 of 46 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2980 posts

Feb 8, 2014
@Pinktoe_

Do you think when the kids from today grow up they'll be like "I can't believe COD is still going strong after releasing a game every year for as long as I can remember."?
Message 28 of 46 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2980 posts

Feb 8, 2014
Call of Duty: F' It 6
Message 29 of 46 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Re: Whatever happened to the good ole days of gaming

Feb 8, 2014

Most of the people you are talking about are not true gamers. They are the casual crowd. I do use some of those things, but none of them are ncessary.

Message 30 of 46 (61 Views)
0 Likes