Gaming Beast
2149 posts

Re: Whatever happened to the good ole days of gaming

Feb 7, 2014
Thats why I got the ps4. Feels more like a console than the xbone

I am still very unimpressed about this next gen though. Feels like this should had been last gen
Message 11 of 46 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Feb 7, 2014
Horrorgod I read the link very nice hit home alot brings back some fond memories of how things were and how much fun it was.
Message 12 of 46 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

Feb 7, 2014
I'm having a great time with my Ps4.I don't think I've ever played a new console as much as I've been playing Ps4.The good days of gaming are still here as far as I'm concerned.
Message 13 of 46 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
397 posts

Feb 7, 2014

the original consoles were certainly the best,

Message 14 of 46 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
65 posts

Re: What happened to the Good Ole Days of Gaming?

Feb 7, 2014

I have great memories playing "Beserk", "Asteroids", "Tank", "Space Invaders", "Ms.Pac Man, "River Raid", "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on Atari 2600.  But you got to admit, "LIVE from PlayStation" is amazing entertainment! LOL

Message 15 of 46 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2362 posts

Feb 7, 2014

I agree evan, lots of me me me type people now. Gaming is as good as it ever was, you are free to ignore internet forums, and news about games, no one forces you too.

Message 16 of 46 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3334 posts

Feb 7, 2014
People who want the other things are usually youngsters who arent use to having just a gaming system.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 17 of 46 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Feb 7, 2014
Hwguy that is probably true. Speaking of youngsters have you heard the language some of these 9 year and up kids use on online gaming wow
Message 18 of 46 (124 Views)
Fender Bender
4066 posts

Feb 7, 2014
Present reality can never compete with fond memory.
Gaming is still great, it's just not as amazing as when it was new and everything was special because there wasn't anything like it.
We just have to spend more time sorting the wheat from the chaff.
Servo Antidae Fossor
Message 19 of 46 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11788 posts

Feb 7, 2014

Generally, it seems gamers have been spoiled too quickly and by too much starting at least with the last couple of generations where technological improvements seem to be winning gamers over nowadays sometimes more than the games themselves. It used to be that you could take a couple of minutes blowing into your dusty old NES cartridge trying to make Kung Fu work on the system for a good while. It used to be the challenge in delivering newspapers to every house on the street through Paperboy's route was enough entertainment for an afternoon. Then we started transitioning between consoles and handhelds. The Game Boy was neat and had Tetris for solo or dual play. The Super NES had a monster of a library to sort through. You could probably camp out in your living room for ten years straight and never be bored of the Super NES catalogue.

The Sega Genesis was a piece of work itself with all its variations. How many extras were there? The Sega CD introduced gamers of the age to CD gaming where the Sega 32X upgraded gamers to 16-bit (or was it 32-bit?) technology. Then there was all the different controllers with multiple button combinations and competition coming from companies such as Panasonic, Atari, and NEC. As memorable as the 16-bit generation had been, the disc-based 32-bit and 64-bit wars was another insane round of terrific and terrible gaming. Although we had already seen certain versions of 3D gaming before then, this was when it all first came together for the most part. Mario was in 3D for the first time. Those "tank" controls in Resident Evil got gamers used to figuring out down can be up and up can be backward, depending on where the camera is facing.

What I miss from generations' past is there being at least one or more sensational gaming products everyone was talking about, ones that were able to satisfy every consumer no matter what. Although we've had some quality titles from the start in years' past, centering on the more recent hardware instead of there being an absolute must-play on systems such as Wii U and PlayStation 4 from day one we're left with some disappointing selections or otherwise ones that don't reach that high up on the greatness scale. With the PlayStation 3 though, and obviously the Xbox 360 before it, firmware updates and the hardware itself led to many current trendsetters that now feel like irreplaceable utilities that will surely jump to the next hardware bout and the next one after that. Obvious additions from Netflix, to the digital store, from achievements to Facebook's interconnectedness, and buddy lists are all now staying with us across the current cycle, even to the point of coupling with the latest in innovations. The ability to share, the ability to stream games, the ability to multitask and take control over someone else's game remotely are all some of the nuances we'll upgrade to now or in due time. Some of these are welcome changes or ones that are acceptable given the average gamer mindset. Being around gaming for a long, long time though I'm just looking forward to any potential exciting avenues that developers decide to dish out along the way and enjoy it as it all comes rushing in.

Message 20 of 46 (107 Views)