Feb 07 2014
By: SC-palmettopride Splicer 69 posts

What happened to the Good Ole Days of Gaming?

[ Edited ]
45 replies 459 views Edited Feb 7, 2014

I remember when it was so fun just to buy a system put in a good game and spend the day playing by yourself or with friends. Going through the levels on pac man on the atari 2600. Playing Mario on the first Nintendo. Playing taken on the ps1,Mario 64 on Nintendo 64. Then came the 360 and xbox live where you could play with others online chat with friends it was really nice. Now everyone seems to want the gaming system for everything but playing games. Netflix,facebook,youtube,twitter,mp3. Whatever happened to just being happy to buying the system to just play games and enjoy it not complaining about what it does not do or do well. It plays games and plays them great can we just be happy with that.

<< Meowstro Edit: I've made a minor edit to your thread title and updated your thread label. More information about Labels Best Practices in PS General. >>

Message 1 of 46 (459 Views)
Fender Bender
3216 posts

Re: Whatever happened to the good ole days of gaming

Feb 7, 2014
People are so starved for attention now a days. They don't feel satisfied unless everyone can see them.
Message 2 of 46 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Feb 7, 2014

Agreed..I bought my PS4 for the sole purpose of playing PS4 games on it.  And you know what..I love it for that.  Granted I do also use it for Netflix which is also great, but I can watch Netflix on 6 other devices in my house so really that is no big deal, but it works well.

All I can say is I've been playing Tomb Raider DE for the past week and it's one of the best games I've ever played on ANY console.  I play my PS3 games on one of my 2 PS3s and my PS4 games on my PS4 and they all work fantastically and I love PS gaming and am very happy I switched from XBOX about 2 months ago.

Message 3 of 46 (443 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Feb 7, 2014

I'm with you on this. The games these days just don't have what Castlevania and Metroid used to have. I could play Zelda for days on end. Now, I feel like you can't connect with the characters like the old games. People skip cutscenes and don't know what the hell they're fighting for. I'm one of those people. I always just want to see whats next... Whats here doesn't satisfy me anymore.

Message 4 of 46 (440 Views)
First Son
26 posts

Feb 7, 2014

ThrowupdaX88 wrote:

All I can say is I've been playing Tomb Raider DE for the past week and it's one of the best games I've ever played on ANY console.  I play my PS3 games on one of my 2 PS3s and my PS4 games on my PS4 and they all work fantastically and I love PS gaming and am very happy I switched from XBOX about 2 months ago.

2 months ago you bought 2 ps3's and a ps4? Odd. Why? 

Can I inquire on how many hands you have?

Message 5 of 46 (435 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Feb 7, 2014

syntheticocean wrote:

I'm with you on this. The games these days just don't have what Castlevania and Metroid used to have. I could play Zelda for days on end. Now, I feel like you can't connect with the characters like the old games. People skip cutscenes and don't know what the hell they're fighting for. I'm one of those people. I always just want to see whats next... Whats here doesn't satisfy me anymore.

I'd HIGHLY suggest that you play The Last of Us for PS3 then.  I've never been one to really pay much attention to the stories of games (often skipping cutscens to get to the action).  That game completely sucked me in and I wanted to play it to find out what happened next in the story as much as I did because it was an extremely fun game to play.

Message 6 of 46 (428 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Feb 7, 2014

ThrowupdaX88 wrote:

I'd HIGHLY suggest that you play The Last of Us for PS3 then.  I've never been one to really pay much attention to the stories of games (often skipping cutscens to get to the action).  That game completely sucked me in and I wanted to play it to find out what happened next in the story as much as I did because it was an extremely fun game to play.

Unfortunately I don't own a PS3. Unless its on 360, or going to be available for ps4 in some way I won't get to try it.

Message 7 of 46 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Feb 7, 2014

syntheticocean wrote:

ThrowupdaX88 wrote:

2 months ago you bought 2 ps3's and a ps4? Odd. Why? 

Can I inquire on how many hands you have?

I have 2 hands.  I have a PS4 and a PS3 at home.  Since you can't play PS3 games on the PS4 and I didn't want to wait for (and have SERIOUS doubts about) Playstation Now I bought a used PS3 cheap off of craigs list to go back and play all the PS exclusive games I'd wanted to play over the last 7 years (remember I was XBOX).  Then I deciced to get another used cheap PS3 off of Craigs List for my office so I could play games there as well.

I knew it would be slow going for PS4 games (and I'm pretty picky about what games I like) I figured I could play the PS3(s) while waiting for more games for the PS4, but I've been very wrapped up on Tomb Raider DE for PS4 lately because it's amazing.

Message 8 of 46 (422 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Feb 7, 2014

syntheticocean wrote:

ThrowupdaX88 wrote:

Unfortunately I don't own a PS3. Unless its on 360, or going to be available for ps4 in some way I won't get to try it.

This is EXACTLY why I went out and bought a PS3 (or 2 in my case).

Message 9 of 46 (420 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Feb 7, 2014

SC-palmettopride wrote:

I remember when it was so fun just to buy a system put in a good game and spend the day playing by yourself or with friends. Going through the levels on pac man on the atari 2600. Playing Mario on the first Nintendo. Playing taken on the ps1,Mario 64 on Nintendo 64. Then came the 360 and xbox live where you could play with others online chat with friends it was really nice. Now everyone seems to want the gaming system for everything but playing games. Netflix,facebook,youtube,twitter,mp3. Whatever happened to just being happy to buying the system to just play games and enjoy it not complaining about what it does not do or do well. It plays games and plays them great can we just be happy with that.

Just going to... drop this... here Smiley Wink http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Off-Topic/Has-Online-ruined-Video-Game-Consoles/m-p/40198705#...

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 10 of 46 (397 Views)
0 Likes