Survivor
2641 posts

Re: What happened to the Good Ole Days of Gaming?

Feb 8, 2014
What does Magnavox Odyssey and PS4 have in common? They're both a plastic box that plugs into a TV, they both run on electricity, they both have controllers and they both play video games. Gaming consoles now sure do a whole lot more besides just gaming (nothing wrong with that) but can play or access even more games than ever before too. who buys video game consoles just to use Netflix anyway?
Message 31 of 46 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
208 posts

Feb 8, 2014

What are you talking about? Almost no one buys the console for social media. It's MOSTLY about the games but social media can come in handy every once in a while.

Call me Mr. FREDDIEkillz
Message 32 of 46 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2565 posts

Feb 8, 2014
What are you talking about I bought a ps4 just to play netflix
Message 33 of 46 (130 Views)
Survivor
2641 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2014

Pinktoe_ wrote:

And I bought an iPhone 5S just for gaming. 

EDIT: Mostly for Flappy Bird. 

Message 34 of 46 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
208 posts

Feb 8, 2014

Pinktoe_ wrote:

If you're serious, that is dumb.

Call me Mr. FREDDIEkillz
Message 35 of 46 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3826 posts

Feb 8, 2014

Ya know if my PS4 dies of being used I would hate to know it was from hours and hours of MP3's and Netflix !

Reminds me of people buying tape rewinders just so the VCR would last longer playing MOVIES like it was ment to do.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 36 of 46 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2641 posts

Feb 8, 2014

Never thought much of those green pipes until recently, now I'd just want to fire nukes at them!!!! 

Message 37 of 46 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14228 posts

Feb 8, 2014

JohnKarnes wrote:

Ya know if my PS4 dies of being used I would hate to know it was from hours and hours of MP3's and Netflix !

Reminds me of people buying tape rewinders just so the VCR would last longer playing MOVIES like it was ment to do.

However. It's still missing key features and theres no denying that.

Recording your gameplay has become pivotal to any console in the age of media.

You also do have to take into account that not everyone owns the means to listen to their music without a console. some also could only access Netflix on a PC on a crappy screen due to graphic card limitations.

It's absolutely vital to the console that it does as much as possible, people buy consoles as all in one entertainment centers now. It's not just a game machine anymore. We are not talking a Nintendo Gamecube here.

This is a Sony product, Media giants Sony getting media all wrong.

Finally comparing these things to the consoles of the 80's or 90's is silly. We didn't even have social media, we didn't have video sharing and apart from really bad recordings with VCR's we certainly didn't have any positive or progressive way to record videos and pass them to friends.

It's not all those years ago anymore. These things are all absolutely vital and I quite honestly can't believe that Sony would botch most of these things. The only one they didn't botch was Netflix. Sony have been in the entertainment business for years they should have known PVR's, music, media center capabilities are part of the entertainment world we live in.

Sony overlooked their own division, their own ideals more or less. I'm pretty sure Microsoft didn't. They just overlooked the fact they were building a game console.

Message 38 of 46 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Feb 8, 2014

Aureilia wrote:

JohnKarnes wrote:

However. It's still missing key features and theres no denying that.

Recording your gameplay has become pivotal to any console in the age of media.

You also do have to take into account that not everyone owns the means to listen to their music without a console. some also could only access Netflix on a PC on a crappy screen due to graphic card limitations.

It's absolutely vital to the console that it does as much as possible, people buy consoles as all in one entertainment centers now. It's not just a game machine anymore. We are not talking a Nintendo Gamecube here.

This is a Sony product, Media giants Sony getting media all wrong.

Finally comparing these things to the consoles of the 80's or 90's is silly. We didn't even have social media, we didn't have video sharing and apart from really bad recordings with VCR's we certainly didn't have any positive or progressive way to record videos and pass them to friends.

It's not all those years ago anymore. These things are all absolutely vital and I quite honestly can't believe that Sony would botch most of these things. The only one they didn't botch was Netflix. Sony have been in the entertainment business for years they should have known PVR's, music, media center capabilities are part of the entertainment world we live in.

Sony overlooked their own division, their own ideals more or less. I'm pretty sure Microsoft didn't. They just overlooked the fact they were building a game console.

Whats the problem. It was said before release I wont have these features. It was not hidden by any means. If people expected it and didnt do there research. Its on them. Sony said it wouldn openly. Ther ws no maybe or well if you do this it might. Sone said out right out of the box no media streaming or MP3. Its the buyers responcibility to look into this stuff and not asume it be there. Heres a good example. I have a car it has line input for mp3 player or phone for audio. I go and buy my next car expecting it to be there then yell at the dealer cause its not and i didnt ask before i bought the car.

Message 39 of 46 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
2048 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2014

Every console did have the most updated tecnology at the time. Start with Saga. 32x attachment and cd plugin. That was the new teck for that time. PS1 had cd as part of the unit. You could plug in aaccessories in the back game shark and v memory like a computor witch was the up to date teck at the time. PS2 had cd and dvd and on line play witch was amazing to people that you could play on line with other people. Like I say. It was the most up to date teck at the time. And we know the rest for ps3 on. And all had bc until now. Not a complaint, just a fact.

Game consoles at lest for Sony have had the latest tecnology incorporated in it from launch untill recently. Not until downloading was possible did they put out devices with next to nothing on it and download it in later. Starting with the vita and now the ps4. In all my years of gaming that started with arcades, when there was no consoles until now, have I ever heard so many complants. All the other consoles before these got a lot of praise and good reviews. I also got four different gaming mags back then. So I know what the reviews were and what was in the readers opinion pages in the back of the mags. I just resently threw them away or I would look up the reviews. Threw away about a four foot stack of them. It almost hurt to do it.It was like throwing away part of history.

Message 40 of 46 (95 Views)
0 Likes