Jan 10 2013
By: GrayGargoyle Last Guardian 11715 posts

What ever happened to permanent price reductions?

4 replies 112 views Edited Jan 10, 2013

If you were a PlayStation gamer in the later stages (around 2000 and beyond) you may recall that the cost of all PlayStation games was dropped down to $40 a piece from $50. The exception was for certain games. Parasite Eve II I remember snagging at $40, whereas Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete was a $60 grab.

The cost of these games that I'm speaking of were brand-new. Imagine today when most PlayStation 3 games still sell for $60 a piece. Back in those days it was a nice change of pace to have less to worry about when losing that extra sliver of ten bucks change. Did someone in the gaming industry fire the person who was in charge of such decision to sell games at a fraction of the cost?

If that's the case, they should rethink that strategy. During the PlayStation 2 era sales didn't dip like before, from what I remember. Though, it wasn't bad as it is now since the games were all $50 anyway. It's not that gamers in general aren't able to afford $60, as can be told with all the thousands we've been spending for more than six years... it's more like asking for a little slack.

That's not to say that some items aren't brought out to be more affordable. When giving HD collections the eye at $30 or $40 a piece or an example like Dead Island: Riptide: Special Edition selling for $50, you have to wonder why not have a break for the rest of the games? It's been six years and going since the PlayStation 3 has been on store shelves. In the last years of the PlayStation software prices dropped. Wouldn't it be nice if PlayStation 3 games did the same?

Message 1 of 5 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Re: What ever happened to permanent price reductions?

Jan 10, 2013
A difference is though, Sony loses a lot more money selling actual PS3 consoles. They have to make that money up somehow. Not to mention, even our single player games have online support. From making patches to putting those patches on the console for download. 3rd party companies even have to pay Sony bandwidth fees just so people can download demos.

There are other factors that play here as well such as the increased competition of the preowned market that offers no incentives for actually using your trade in towards a new game not to mention they don't give you enough trade in to even want a new game.

Development costs are also through the roof. In the PS1 days, average development cost was in the hundreds of dollars. PS2 days, I believe the high cost was only a few million. Now the average cost is 20 to 30 million. Rockstar games are hitting 100 million in dev costs. There is not much room anymore for price drops.
Message 2 of 5 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8502 posts

Jan 11, 2013
actually, Sony has been making money for a while now with PS3 consoles.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20003418-1.html

dunno about permanent price drops but new game are getting discounted so quick nowadays that it can be considered as not 60$ anymore Smiley Tongue
Message 3 of 5 (74 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

I'm sure they have been but they were not for a very long time. They were selling for 3.5 years at a loss. I also believe its been said that the attach rate for games is about 10 games on average per user. That's a lot of money to be made up from a lot of consoles.

Message 4 of 5 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 11, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

If you were a PlayStation gamer in the later stages (around 2000 and beyond) you may recall that the cost of all PlayStation games was dropped down to $40 a piece from $50. The exception was for certain games. Parasite Eve II I remember snagging at $40, whereas Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete was a $60 grab.

The cost of these games that I'm speaking of were brand-new. Imagine today when most PlayStation 3 games still sell for $60 a piece. Back in those days it was a nice change of pace to have less to worry about when losing that extra sliver of ten bucks change. Did someone in the gaming industry fire the person who was in charge of such decision to sell games at a fraction of the cost?

If that's the case, they should rethink that strategy. During the PlayStation 2 era sales didn't dip like before, from what I remember. Though, it wasn't bad as it is now since the games were all $50 anyway. It's not that gamers in general aren't able to afford $60, as can be told with all the thousands we've been spending for more than six years... it's more like asking for a little slack.

That's not to say that some items aren't brought out to be more affordable. When giving HD collections the eye at $30 or $40 a piece or an example like Dead Island: Riptide: Special Edition selling for $50, you have to wonder why not have a break for the rest of the games? It's been six years and going since the PlayStation 3 has been on store shelves. In the last years of the PlayStation software prices dropped. Wouldn't it be nice if PlayStation 3 games did the same?

What it was is that Sony first party games would reduce by $10 in its final years, 3rd party games largely sold for the same price level when the console first came out.

While some prices on games remain stable, other games can experience significant price drops a few months after release. It isn't unusual these days for a $60 game to drop to $40, if you are willing to wait...

Message 5 of 5 (54 Views)
0 Likes