Highlighted
Apr 26 2013
By: WrekGar Hekseville Citizen 277 posts

What company would do it best?

3 replies 96 views Edited Apr 26, 2013

If the game Bonks Adventure was going be done over, who do you think would do it best Santa Monica Studios, Insomniac Games, or  Naughty Dog?

Message 1 of 4 (96 Views)
Last Guardian
11733 posts

Re: What company would do it best?

Apr 26, 2013

Wasn't it Hudson Soft who developed the original Bonk's Adventure? Hudson is still making games today. Why not have them recreate the game if ever they intend to work on it?

Message 2 of 4 (67 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Apr 26, 2013

WrekGar wrote:

If the game Bonks Adventure was going be done over, who do you think would do it best Santa Monica Studios, Insomniac Games, or  Naughty Dog?

While I agree with GrayGargoyle, I am HUGE fan of Santa Monica.  God of War, Flow, and now especially Journey are among my favorite titles.

Don't get me wrong, Insomniac and Naughty Dog are great.  One might even argue that Bonk is right up Insomniac's alley; with style of play, character illustration and the like.

Just the same, I am a fan of Santa Monica's ability to infuse beauty with function, in the forefront and background especially.  

As I remember Bonk form Turbo Graphics 16, one of the best features at that time was the integration of the foreground and scrolling background on separate scales.  It made the screen really pop out at you.  I still think it is a shame the TG16 never made it.  That system was actually a valiant attempt by Atari to stay in the game.  The jaguar, not so much.  Nintendo blew it away on titles, and Sega mastered the same graphics as the TG16 (for the most part), while providing yet another library of games that surpassed the TG16.

C'est La Vie.

Going back to Gray's point though.  If the original Developer is still in the "game", I would think they would readdress it before anyone bought out the licensing.

Great Subject though!  I have been gaming since 1980, so I always love to talk about the "older" games.  Some of them are truly timeless.

Moble

Message 3 of 4 (57 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Apr 26, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Wasn't it Hudson Soft who developed the original Bonk's Adventure? Hudson is still making games today. Why not have them recreate the game if ever they intend to work on it?

Yes Hudson Soft is still around but I was asking in a comparative way of 3 three technically 1st party companies. Just for opinion sake and who knows maybe just maybe we can get the ball rolling on bringing some of these classics to the new generation(s).

Message 4 of 4 (51 Views)