Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 05 2013
By: Pasco1990 First Son 18 posts

What are good upload speeds internet wise?

7 replies 158 views Edited Feb 5, 2013

Recently did a speed test on my internet as i am paying $80 a month for the highest internet i can get and this is what the speed test came up with.....

• 31.03 Mb/s DownLoad speed
  • 5.78 Mb/s upload speed

Good or bad?

And i am supposed to be getting 

Up to 60 Mbps Download
Up to 5 Mbps Upload

Seems i am getting jipped just a tad and i know my bandwith isn't being taken by anyone else as my home network is password protected by the Cable company. 

Message 1 of 8 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Re: What are good upload speeds internet wise?

Feb 5, 2013
Cable bandwidth isn't consistant. Your speeds vary by the amount of usage coming out of your area. Do a speed test early in the a.m., then do one in the afternoon, then again in the evening. You'll see the difference.

$80 is a rip off. I'm paying $85 for Fios Triple Bundle and my internet speeds are supposed to be 55/25. Verizon gives me 10mbps more bandwidth than I'm provisioned for so I get 65/35. Fios bandwidth is consistant 24/7.
Message 2 of 8 (154 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Dont have Fios in my area yet :smileysad: I am stuck with Brighthouse. 

Message 3 of 8 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Brighthouse internet isn't so great, used it when I lived in Orlando. I suggest you search around for other companies because that price for that type of service is ridiculous.

Fios was said to not be available in my area, I had checked the website for a few months, and even called and asked a few times. Come to find out a new neighbor was moving in and getting his service transferred to his new address. We saw the Fios truck and asked the Verizon employee if Fios just came to the area and he told us we've had it for over a year on our block and a few other apartments had the service already. The company didn't have it on record for more than a year that it was available, I suggest you bug them for information and have them triple check for you as it seems they're disorganized.

Message 4 of 8 (146 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Thanks i will ask around i am north of Tampa 

Message 5 of 8 (139 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15581 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 5, 2013

ISP's throttle your bandwidth speed depending on the needs of the surrounding households that have the service as well which is why you're only getting half of your speed.

Remember, when it comes to advertised speeds, the wording is very vague. They're not going to guarantee you will get the same speed all the time, they can only mention that you will get UP TO that speed.

As far as brighthouse, I can't comment on it very much as I have only dealt with it for one month while I was visiting my father in Kissimmee and NEVER had an issue with bandwidth speed or its cost. He pays $160/mo for landline, HD DVR with premium channels and the fastest internet they offer. Not because he wanted it, but because he was getting a great deal compared to if he just bought everything separate from different companies.

your upload speed is just fine.... I have to deal with a 1Mbps upload speed with a 30Mb download speed and I have a very good online experience playing games online.

Don't worry too much about your bandwidth. In my experience, in a common household of 4 individuals, you shouldn't need anything above 30Mbps download at maybe 5Mbps upload at the max. Usually because we only DOWNLOAD more then we actually upload anything.

It would be nice to get FIOS or Google Fiber though with their extremely fast speeds for a very competitive cost compared to cable internet.

You should concern yourself more with your PING than upload or download, but they all do complement one another.

if your internet speed test was done using the PS3's speed test tool, don't worry about it.... the PS3's speed test is not an accurate representation of your actual throughput and is known to give lower than expected results sometimes gives false positives.

I remember one time when running the PS3's speed test, my upload and download ended up being TWICE that of what I was actualy getting but on the various speed tests run on my PC, my result would be in the ballpark of my actual speed I pay for.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 6 of 8 (137 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Feb 5, 2013

No i ran it on my Alienware laptop on the speed test thing. 

Message 7 of 8 (132 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15581 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Dont worry about it you're fine.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 8 of 8 (126 Views)
0 Likes