Jun 19 2013
By: chrball Splicer 69 posts

What TV for PS4?

25 replies 1772 views Edited Jun 19, 2013
PS4 is just months away and I don't even have a TV. I picked up a Panasonic S64 plasma the other day but I'm returning it because it buzzes like crazy.

What TV will you be using the PS4 on? What 2012-2013 models would have low input lag and be well suited for the PS4?

Considering getting a Bravia..
http://store.sony.com/p/40-inch-HDTV,-LED-TV,-R-Series,-Motionflow-XR120,-R450,-Smartphone-Ready/en/...

No idea how the input lag is though..
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 26 (1,772 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Re: What TV for PS4?

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

What I want to know about the PS4 is if there is a way to get it to work on my boxy tv from early 2000s. It served me well for both my PS2, and 360 (and hopefully soon PS3).

I would be bummed if there wasn't a way to get my TV to work with the PS4 =/

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 26 (1,765 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1391 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

From what I saw, is there is no AV Cable Port...

The PS4 seems to only work with an HDMI Cable now... If that helps at all...

But i'm curious... Is there anyone that is going for those New 4K Video TV's,
there not out yet, but it seems they are comming? Is anyone gettin one?

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 26 (1,732 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1964 posts

Jun 19, 2013
From what I've heard, you can't tell the difference between 1080 and 4 k until you get into 65"+ tv size range. Big tv's are nice for certain kinds of games such as sport games and single player games but if your playing online multiplayer shooter games, anything over 40" is too much tv screen.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 26 (1,721 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1391 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Wait, you can have a TV with 4K Video smaller then a 60 Inch? I thought they were going to be like 75 Inch & up... oO

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 26 (1,719 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2003 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

TV's that are 4K will become smaller in time but they are also $20,000 at this point. And there is no programming done in 4K resloution in the United States. A few countries do such as South Korea. Most of the programing in the US is either 720P or 1080i.

As far as what TV to get I have done a TON of research on HDTV's dating back to last fall b/c I wanted to get a nice current TV not only for the PS4 but just for something bigger and better. One main point is to stick with a well known brand TV, there are cheap ones out there and I'll explain why they are cheaper. Sony, Samsung, LG, Sharp, Panasonic are some of the major brands I would consider. As far as how good you want the PS4 games to look will come down to how high the contrast ratio of your TV is. The contrast ratio is how sharp, crisp and clear the picture will look. Its usally that big numer you see in the TV specs such as 10,000,000:1 or something such as that. Cheaper TV's live Vizio and many that they sell at walmart are lower ratio TV's. Every brand has there low, middle and high end TV's walmart just carries all the low end ones.

I ended up getting an LG 47" LED 3D/Smart TV. The picture is so clear it looks like real life at times ( depending on what the programing is ) as if your just looking through a new window at whats going on outside. Games look freaking amazing, Ive been playing the Last of US and I'm blown away by how good it looks ( in part to Naghty Dog and the LG TV ) My  contrast Ratio on my TV is 8,000,000:1 but this number can be very confusing. Plasma TV's have a much higher contrast ratio then LED/LCD TV's but it does not mean they are the best choice b/c they lack in other area's as well. Look up LED/LCD VS Plasma TV's for more info on this. What you want is a TV that has a high contrast ratio and a good rating for the black and white balance, meaning how dark the blakest blacks look and how white the whitest whites are. Its a lot to take in and understand but makes sense once you start to read up on differnet TV's and reviews on different models and brands.

Also there is no difference between LCD and LED other then how the TV is lit. An LED is an LCD TV, it is just lit in a different way. Currently LED's are the newest Technology out there as compared to Plasma.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 26 (1,699 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2003 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Also I want to add that any HDTV that you buy you should calibrate the TV once you get it home. This means setting all the proper color settings and so forth. The option to do this will be more or less depending on what TV model and make you get. All TV's in stores have the settings jacked up b/c of the lighting in the store. How the TV looks in the store will not look how it will in your home due to the difference in lighting and no TV should be taken out of the box and just set on the TV stand w/ out the color, brightness, sharpness being adjusted along with any other options that my be available to your TV.

Some places charge for a service to do this its usually a few hundred bucks but just Google search your TV make/model and calibration settings. This will give you a good indication of where to start and you can make adjustments from there for how you like your TV to look. The options for things to adjust was quite expansive on my TV but the picture color is really nice now.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 26 (1,680 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6877 posts

Jun 19, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

TV's that are 4K will become smaller in time but they are also $20,000 at this point. And there is no programming done in 4K resloution in the United States. A few countries do such as South Korea. Most of the programing in the US is either 720P or 1080i.

55" 4K Sony XBR55X900A - $4,999.

They are available, and they are already coming down in price.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 26 (1,674 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17384 posts

Jun 19, 2013

here's a good Samsung 46 " for under 750$ canadian :

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-46-1080p-60hz-led-hdtv-un46eh5000fxzc-un46eh5000...

there's also the Sharp 46" for 100$ more :

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sharp-sharp-aquos-46-1080p-120hz-led-smart-tv-lc46le540u-lc46le5...

post the tv you want to buy here, I'll advise if it's a good choice.

Thx,

GTA V FTW !

PSN : Stackcluster
Born young, not dead yet !
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 26 (1,666 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013