Jul 12 2013
By: UnrealButcher Uncharted Territory 1508 posts

What PS4 games will support Local Coop/Multiplayer?

[ Edited ]
8 replies 17524 views Edited Jul 12, 2013

So I have my PS4 preordered, but am still trying to decide what games to get for it and how many controllers.

I have enough money for $60x5. So any combination of that. 1 controller and 4 games, 3 controllers and 2 games or whatever.

My boys and I love BF, and they want me to get Watchdogs and I was thinking Killzone: SF might be nice (for a PS4 exclusive), but was also thinking about something like Diablo 3 for local coop. I'm so confused. lol.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to use my money best, and if I have to pick up 2 controllers so I can play Diablo 3 with my 2 boys then that leaves 2 games.

So to make use of the extra 2 controllers it would make sense to grab games that would support use of the extra controllers.

Do Killzone games normally support split screen, and does anyone know of any other games coming out at launch (other than sport) that may support local coop/multiplayer? Thanks.

Message 1 of 9 (17,524 Views)
VP of Gaming
28985 posts

Re: What PS4 games will support Local Coop?

Jul 12, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:

So I have my PS4 preordered, but am still trying to decide what games to get for it and how many controllers.

I have enough money for $60x5. So any combination of that. 1 controller and 4 games, 3 controllers and 2 games or whatever.

My boys and I love BF, and they want me to get Watchdogs and I was thinking Killzone: SF might be nice (for a PS4 exclusive), but was also thinking about something like Diablo 3 for local coop. I'm so confused. lol.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to use my money best, and if I have to pick up 2 controllers so I can play Diablo 3 with my 2 boys then that leaves 2 games.

So to make use of the extra 2 controllers it would make sense to grab games that would support use of the extra controllers.

Do Killzone games normally support split screen, and does anyone know of any other games coming out at launch (other than sport) that may support local coop? Thanks.

I don't remember Killzone having local co-op, and for the second part of your question; We don't know. It's up to the individual developers if they want to implement local co-op, it's not something Sony mandates, and with online gameplay getting better it's been getting more rare. So it's a game by game basis.

Message 2 of 9 (17,511 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10300 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:

What PS4 games will support Local Coop?

NHL/NBA/NFL/FIFA 2014....most likely

Message 3 of 9 (17,503 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Re: What PS4 games will support Local Coop/Multiplayer?

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2013

Lol. I edited my question to include local multiplayer. Not sure why I put coop when I'm just interested in being able to make use of the other controllers. Could be split screen through Campaign or split screen vs. mode against someone on your couch or against others online or even split screen against waves of enemies in some sort of survival mode.

Sounds like there's no sense in buying extra controllers if I only have one game I'm interested in (Diablo 3) or just a bunch of sports games. I know BF doesn't usually support it. I guess maybe CoD might have some sort of Zombie's or Spec Ops or Survival, since they have in the past.

I guess I figured Killzone would have wanted to support split screen of some sort since it was Sony's exclusive (sell some controllers), and MS franchises like Halo and Gears of War support split screen modes like Firefight/Horde and Coop Campaign that can be played split screen and/or online. Not really interested in CoD or Sports so was hoping KZ: SF would be a good alternative.

Maybe I can play some PS3 games over Gaikai to make buying controllers worthwhile. Maybe some Twisted Metal or something. Online is all good, but there's something about playing something like Ghost Recon local and punching each other when you get killed or don't cover your area of the map.Smiley LOL 

Message 4 of 9 (17,491 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 12, 2013

Killzone 3 had local co-op, it was a blast!

Message 5 of 9 (16,748 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3790 posts

Oct 12, 2013

Devs already confirmed that Killzone will NOT support local play. Online only.

Message 6 of 9 (16,746 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Oct 12, 2013

Matsudaira wrote:

Devs already confirmed that Killzone will NOT support local play. Online only.

Yeah, this was originally posted 3 months ago. Before alot of the information in the Big PS4 thread was made.

Message 7 of 9 (16,740 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Oct 12, 2013

I'm pretty sure that with Gamming going twards New Heights, & more, & more Online Oriented Game Play is provided for everyone, 
local Multi-Player Game Play will be less, & less Supported... 

But as we've been told before, PS4 will deffinately support it... 

But to what Extent, i'm just not quite sure...

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 8 of 9 (16,736 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Oct 12, 2013
I know some indie games at launch will support multiple player local coop play such as super mother load and tiny brains . Diablo 3 will be coming out next year most likely but with indie games supporting local coop play I'm getting 2 extra controllers myself. I am thinking indie games may make use of local coop much more than aAA titles this generation since it's easier to code for local vs online multiplayer. Plus, everyone will want their own controller right?Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 9 (16,735 Views)
0 Likes