Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 05/30/2004
Offline
1432 posts
 

Re: What Do We Need More Of In Gaming?

Jan 29, 2014

We need more complete titles. What  I mean by that is non-rushed product that isn't a "race to the finish line" to complete and then patch it 40 times before I get a correct working product. We also need more controlled opinions. Online gaming is huge now, but since every single opinion counts now, some online experiences become irrelevant since it changes the flow of the game dramatically. And last thing... need to get back to more originality. Kinda crazy we're on 4,5 and 6 versions of games. Don't get me wrong I'm happy about some of them, but its time to start on new things. (Ex: MGSV, GTAV, UC4, etc)

Gaming died with the PS2
Gaming in 2017 is a casual scrub's dream
Thank you for ruining a once great hobby
Message 41 of 53 (111 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
30092 posts
 

Re: What Do We Need More Of In Gaming?

Jan 29, 2014

I don't know if it's a "need", but what I would like to see are more risks being taken. That applies to developers AND players alike. The developers need the freedom to be able to create without interference, and player should permit them to create as they see fit, and not hound them by tempering their outrage. and not threaten boycotts are lawsuits if they don't like something. 

 

Players also have to become more willing to take a chance on a NEW game they've never heard of. If you complain that most games are "the same with little improvement", and you don't take a chance on something new, then you're not endorsing the creative process, and not making it worth while to take risks. If you don't buy new games, then there's no reason to make them.

Message 42 of 53 (110 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 01/30/2010
Offline
2811 posts
 

Re: What Do We Need More Of In Gaming?

Jan 29, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I don't know if it's a "need", but what I would like to see are more risks being taken. That applies to developers AND players alike. The developers need the freedom to be able to create without interference, and player should permit them to create as they see fit, and not hound them by tempering their outrage. and not threaten boycotts are lawsuits if they don't like something. 

 

Players also have to become more willing to take a chance on a NEW game they've never heard of. If you complain that most games are "the same with little improvement", and you don't take a chance on something new, then you're not endorsing the creative process, and not making it worth while to take risks. If you don't buy new games, then there's no reason to make them.


nicely put, i actually missed ally the "third rate titles" from PS2 days, like that old Legion or whatever it was called. it was made by some collage students and Sony took a risk on them. in my opinion it was one of the better titles they had on the PS2. i also wanna see unknown companies come in again and hopefully see a new Grandia. (for PS3 AND  PS4 of course since i refuse to get the PS4).

Message 43 of 53 (108 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5477 posts
 

Re: What Do We Need More Of In Gaming?

Jan 29, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:
If anything, increasing the bandwidth allotted per server would be about as good as it would get.  Plus, adding more servers would only serve to spread out the userbase, rather than bring them together.  In other words, Vorx, we agree.  

 


not only that but with the mics, the PS4's streaming, and the countless connections only add to the trouble like i said. this is one of the main flaws i seen in the PS4 when i found out about all the social media stuff they added. its just like a PC, you use a bunch of things all at once and you slow down.


 

I definitely see what you are getting at here, but, I haven't experienced any issues with network "slowdown" on the PS4, everything, and I mean everything, runs faster, new features or not.  I doubt one would see an increase in performance if they chose not to use the "What's New" feed, the Share" button, or "Display Real name" features.  

Grindhead_Jim

Message 44 of 53 (98 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/24/2013
Offline
1050 posts
 

Re: What Do We Need More Of In Gaming?

Jan 29, 2014

As to answer the OPs ?

 

I would like to see more gripping stories. The final outcomes are truly based on in game decisions.

Less linear gameplay in a sense. Open worlds where survival is only met by the tools and decisions you make.

 

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 45 of 53 (96 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 01/30/2010
Offline
2811 posts
 

Re: What Do We Need More Of In Gaming?

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2014

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

 

I definitely see what you are getting at here, but, I haven't experienced any issues with network "slowdown" on the PS4, everything, and I mean everything, runs faster, new features or not.  I doubt one would see an increase in performance if they chose not to use the "What's New" feed, the Share" button, or "Display Real name" features.  


true but rememeber there aren't really that many PS4s playing online right now, either people can't find them or they just don't like the low game selection. when the PS4 does spring to life i'm sure this will become an issue.

after all PS3 has this problem with mics already. i did a test the one day and it is true a mic does lower your connection some. its a slight difference though so its understandable if people never noticed, but it does happen. so when more games come to PS4 and hundreds will be playing at one time with mics, party chats, streaming ect. all i can say is good luck.

Message 46 of 53 (90 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5477 posts
 

Re: What Do We Need More Of In Gaming?

Jan 29, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

 

I definitely see what you are getting at here, but, I haven't experienced any issues with network "slowdown" on the PS4, everything, and I mean everything, runs faster, new features or not.  I doubt one would see an increase in performance if they chose not to use the "What's New" feed, the Share" button, or "Display Real name" features.  


true but rememeber there aren't really that many PS4s playing online right now, either people can't find them or they just don't like the low game selection. when the PS4 does spring to life i'm sure this will become an issue.

after all PS3 has this problem with mics already. i did a test the one day and it is true a mic does lower your connection some. its a slight difference though so its understandable if people never noticed, but it does happen. so when more games come to PS4 and hundreds will be playing at one time with mics, party chats, streaming ect. all i can say is good luck.


The streaming aspect of it relates to your upload speed, and everything else is proven to work, even if we have to look at XBL's party features from the previous generation as an illustration of the theory in practice of a large install base with these featuresets.

 

Not saying that mics and streams don't take of bandwidth - of course they do! Smiley Happy  However, you;re not going to see a drop in console performance because of those things.  If you have a decent internet connection (25+mbps is plenty), you'll never see a tangible effect on your bandwidth from these things, at least, not in my experience. 

 

Besides, not everyone is connected to the same servers at the same time - that's why there's a limit on the size of parties, in-game lobies, and so on.  As the demand increases, so will the number of servers available.  

Grindhead_Jim

Message 47 of 53 (80 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 08/31/2013
Offline
452 posts
 

Re: What Do We Need More Of In Gaming?

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2014

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

VorxDargo wrote:

hydroshubong wrote:

We need more servers(for each games) to improve the online gaming experience.


that would actually cause more problems, let me explain..

[SNIP]

now if you added more servers the people running them would have a hard time keeping an eye on the servers and making sure they run as best they could. with most companies cutting staff as is now-a-days it just wouldn't work..


If anything, increasing the bandwidth allotted per server would be about as good as it would get.  Plus, adding more servers would only serve to spread out the userbase, rather than bring them together.  In other words, Vorx, we agree.  

 

 


Then, they should add more people to work on those new servers or they should replace the old servers by new ones!

Message 48 of 53 (74 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/30/2011
Offline
3825 posts
 

Re: What Do We Need More Of In Gaming?

Jan 29, 2014

Explore time periods that haven't been used much. Like Edwardian England for example. I also think we need more dinosaurs and gray aliens. What would also be nice is lan play with system linking and offline splitscreen.

KZMProductionsGT
Message 49 of 53 (71 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 08/31/2013
Offline
452 posts
 

Re: What Do We Need More Of In Gaming?

Jan 29, 2014

We need the Oculus rift!  Smiley Tongue

Message 50 of 53 (69 Views)
Reply
0 Likes