Sep 01 2013
By: CrossClown First Son 3 posts

Weird External Hard Drive Issue

[ Edited ]
5 replies 184 views Edited Sep 2, 2013

So I've recently bought a WD My Passport 1.5TB hard drive to use for my ps3 since my other external drive is running out of space. I did format this drive using EaseUS and it's fat32. The thing is, I'm having this weird issue when I plug the hard drive into one of the ps3's usb ports, the ps3 doesn't see it. But if I plug the hard drive into the USB ports on the 3 port USB extender hub which is connect to the 2nd usb port on my ps3, the ps3 sees it. Has anyone ever had this issue before or know why this is even occurring for me? My old external hard drive (250gb with an AC adapter) gets seen perfectly fine by my ps3 when it's plug into the 1st usb port (left port, my extender hub is connected on the 2nd port) but this new one doesnt. It's just weird.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Re: Weird External Hard Drive Issue

Sep 1, 2013

Their are known issues with the WD Passport not working on a PS3 without extensive preparation, and especially one of that size. More than likely, it will also not be able to be powered by the PS3 USB. In other words, it's not going to work directly plugged in but may work as you have it set up. Is it working?

Currently playing Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

60GB Fat OFW 4.50
250GB SuperSlim OFW 4.50
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (172 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14962 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2013

CrossClown wrote: I did format this drive using EaseUS and it's not fat32. 

Theres your problem.... it HAS to be FAT32. Or was that a grammatical error?

Also, external hdd's need to be a POWERED hdd to work because the PS3 only supports up to 500mA power through the USB ports so not all external drives will work unless they have a separate power supply.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (167 Views)
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 2, 2013

my bad yeah that was a grammatical error. It's in FAT32. 

Anyway as for it being powered when plugged into the USB port, yes it is powered the indicator light is blinking. It's just a weird thing because I have a 3 port usb extender hub attached to my ps3 (I got it from toysrus I think) and it works when it's plugged into one of the three ports. When I take the hub off the ps3 and attempt to plug the hard drive into one of the 2 available ports, it doesn't recognize it. It's just really weird. If it's the power that I need then I wouldn't mind getting the powered USB hub instead. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (142 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14962 posts

Sep 2, 2013

Jesus.... why do you need so many USB hubs?

And yes, they HAVE to be powered.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (126 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 19, 2013

Unfortunately I'm still having this issue even with a powered hub. This is getting to be quite a neusance. I would assume it wouldn't matter if the drive is USB3.0/2.0... 

HOWEVER, the ps3 is recognizing the hard drive when the drive is connected to the 3-port unpowered usb hub that I have (it's a Power A usb hub which I can no longer find any trace of on the internet) and if I connect it to the powered usb hub, it works perfectly...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (80 Views)
0 Likes