May 01 2013
By: GrayGargoyle Last Guardian 11812 posts

We need a game for everyone... don't we?

11 replies 252 views Edited May 1, 2013

With another Animal Crossing on the way for Nintendo fans, this had me thinking which games out there this year will draw in huge crowds for PlayStation owners. Putting the pieces in place, nothing immediately comes to mind that's going to have everyone (kids included) playing through. Many are going to get The Last of Us and Grand Theft Auto V and others, but mainly those games coming out this year are based in an older age bracket.

Besides the point, where's something along the lines of a simulation game where multiple persons can interact and help each other out in different ways? Rather than this 2013 thus far has brought us multiplayer entries like God of War: Ascension with team-based blood-splattering rage. While there's some bright colors and life stinking up the PlayStation platforms this year (namely with titles like Ni no Kuni or Tearaway), don't you feel like we need something else that just about every single person is going to hop on board and has universal appeal to all player types?

Message 1 of 12 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10011 posts

Re: We need a game for everyone... don't we?

May 1, 2013
Eye Pet 2 lol my wife and I play it
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 2 of 12 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
605 posts

May 1, 2013
Like a new Dark Cloud Installment.
Message 3 of 12 (235 Views)
Last Guardian
11299 posts

May 1, 2013

While I am a huge Playstation fan, I can admit that Sony simply does not have a franchise that will rack up the numbers that Nintendo's franchises will. Sony does not have an answer to Pokemon, Mario, Zelda or Animal Crossing.

Little Big Planet is a frachise that is very open to all ages, but many gamers above 15 think it's too kiddy for them. Not everyone feels that way, but simply put, it doesn't have the pull that say Animal Crossing does.

This is kind of sad, as I really wish I could find something on a Sony system that I could draw my wife into playing with me. We used to play Animal Crossing together for a while. We had 3 DS copies and would often visit each other's towns.

While Nintendo is well known for family type gaming that is also their downfall in a lot of ways. Most gamers that I know have at least 2 systems. A Nintendo system for gaming with family, their children, or for the exclusives. From there they either have a 360 or a PS 3 for the rest of the "serious" games.

Nintendo is good for local co-op, Sony and Microsoft are better at online co-op. You're far more likely to make new friends on the PS 3 or 360 than you are on the Nintendo. If you're an online gamer that's a great thing, but if you're wanting more co-op time with your family, then it's not so great.

I do wish Sony had games that appealed to more gamers, but Sony has plenty of games for everyone. Just very few that appeal to a larger fanbase. Both a curse and blessing at the same time.

Message 4 of 12 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2456 posts

May 2, 2013
Maybe they could make a playstation all-stars 2! Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 12 (207 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

May 2, 2013

GnomeWizard wrote:
Maybe they could make a playstation all-stars 2! Smiley Very Happy

Playstation All Stars is perfect for everyone. Even though it's rated T, it is a fun game for the family. It could've been rated E if there were fewer rated M characters and less cursing in the story mode. 

And since it's on sale now, it's the perfect time to get it. Wonderful!

Message 6 of 12 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3952 posts

May 2, 2013

The Last of Us! Bring the whole family! Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 12 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

May 2, 2013

everybody and their grandmaw will be playing GTAV...lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 8 of 12 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
46 posts

May 2, 2013
Forgive my ignorance but, Animal Crossing. Never heard of it. Little Big Planet is great for me and my son. But repetitive and tiresome. The Lego games have been a huge success in my house and they don't seem to be slowing releases anytime soon. Good playability for the younger ages and good references for the older folks. The eye is dead, right? I've seen no hopeful releases that primarily focuses on cooperative play with the eye. I got succeeded into that eye and draw tablet early last year but neither get any use.
Message 9 of 12 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

May 2, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

While I am a huge Playstation fan, I can admit that Sony simply does not have a franchise that will rack up the numbers that Nintendo's franchises will. Sony does not have an answer to Pokemon, Mario, Zelda or Animal Crossing.

Little Big Planet is a frachise that is very open to all ages, but many gamers above 15 think it's too kiddy for them. Not everyone feels that way, but simply put, it doesn't have the pull that say Animal Crossing does.

This is kind of sad, as I really wish I could find something on a Sony system that I could draw my wife into playing with me. We used to play Animal Crossing together for a while. We had 3 DS copies and would often visit each other's towns.

While Nintendo is well known for family type gaming that is also their downfall in a lot of ways. Most gamers that I know have at least 2 systems. A Nintendo system for gaming with family, their children, or for the exclusives. From there they either have a 360 or a PS 3 for the rest of the "serious" games.

Nintendo is good for local co-op, Sony and Microsoft are better at online co-op. You're far more likely to make new friends on the PS 3 or 360 than you are on the Nintendo. If you're an online gamer that's a great thing, but if you're wanting more co-op time with your family, then it's not so great.

I do wish Sony had games that appealed to more gamers, but Sony has plenty of games for everyone. Just very few that appeal to a larger fanbase. Both a curse and blessing at the same time.

I only partly agree. Animal Crossing leaves an even more kiddy impression than LBP does. The difference is simply that you don't expect anything else from Nintendo. Mario is gameplay wise leagues ahead of LBP either, which leaves LBP in the space for people who prefer custom levels. It's similar to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, which also can't compete in quality.

Sony's problem is that they pretty much abandoned (or never even covered) many traditional console genres. They have no JRPGs, they have nothing to compete with Pokemon. And seriously, what could be so difficult to register that the Vita would rather need something like Pokemon as a system seller, instead of another Uncharted, Killzone, Unit 13 etc.

Imho Sony constantly made the wrong decisions in past years, regarding their exclusives. Be it Starhawk, Twisted Metal or PSASBR or many other games. Sure, they did some things right too naturally, with the Uncharted series or Journey for example. Yet you have to wonder why especially their japanese roots barely manage to shine. Make something like Ni No Kuni as an exclusive series for god's sake.

Message 10 of 12 (153 Views)
0 Likes