Jul 02 2012
By: portalplayer9 First Son 8 posts

We need a better browser for PS Vita

[ Edited ]
13 replies 5968 views Edited Jul 18, 2014

imo, the vita browser sucks!

it is slow at loading webpages and isn't very fun to use. all i see are checkerboards when i use the browser when scrolling.
Sony should fix this and get the browser up to date with the other browsers on smartphones.

People are used to functional browsers now, they won't accept this.

Mod Edit: edit title for clarity and added label. Click here for more info on labels, and here for our Rules of Conduct and Forum Guidelines

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

Message 1 of 14 (5,968 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
392 posts

Re: better browser for ps vita

Jul 2, 2012

I agree. It makes a powerful piece of hardware seem neutered. I would like to see a mozilla option or at least the ability to replace it with something. I am getting sick of companies setting huge limitations on their hardware for anti-piracy excuses. I guarantee that if they let this monster out of it's little software box that it would sell so much better. If people heard that Sony was opening up the Vita and how amazing it's capabilities were I don't think they could keep them on the shelves. It is just lame to basically have no trust as a consumer by them locking down all the capability that something like this has. And they wonder why people hack phones and game consoles.

Baptism's of Fire
Photobucket
Message 2 of 14 (5,966 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
650 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2012

portalplayer9 wrote:

it is slow at loading webpages and isn't very fun to use. all i see are checkerboards when i use the browser when scrolling.
Sony should fix this and get the browser up to date with the other browsers on smartphones.

you are just full of complaints today.....

Message 3 of 14 (5,961 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2788 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2012

TUNNELRAT-1972 wrote:

I agree. It makes a powerful piece of hardware seem neutered. I would like to see a mozilla option or at least the ability to replace it with something. I am getting sick of companies setting huge limitations on their hardware for anti-piracy excuses. I guarantee that if they let this monster out of it's little software box that it would sell so much better. If people heard that Sony was opening up the Vita and how amazing it's capabilities were I don't think they could keep them on the shelves. It is just lame to basically have no trust as a consumer by them locking down all the capability that something like this has. And they wonder why people hack phones and game consoles.

Either Mozilla or Opera would be great choices for Sony to partner up with, each have exceptional HTML5 capabilities and Mozilla is always looking to expand it's rather small mobile marketshare. Plus, it's also open source (Firefox, that is).

Would be great if Sony actually did this.

SQUIDWARD360 wrote:

portalplayer9 wrote:

you are just full of complaints today.....

It's a legit concern. The web is moving forward with HTML5 and CSS3, and performance is becoming more and more critical as websites become more complex and interactive. Keeping web browsers bogged down also hurts the developers. IE6 anyone?

Message 4 of 14 (5,959 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
650 posts

Jul 2, 2012

it might be a legit concern but I don't think most people want to see him/her create a new thread for mulitple complaints...

Message 5 of 14 (5,949 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
392 posts

Jul 2, 2012

Ok so I think they should ditch the whole app idea and just make the browser work or give us the option of another browser. We would not need Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, or some of the other apps that are available to suck up space on our pricey memory cards. A good browser could replace most of the apps that are out or going to be available in the future with one item. It really seems like a huge waste of resources on Sony's part to develop all these apps when they could be developing one web browser. It's a simple solution and makes the most sense. The only reason why I can see them not doing this is the concern of hacks and piracy, but I believe that if one of these mega corporations would just give in and give the consumer the benefit of the doubt maybe they would get more respect from the consumer. Sure there are a lot of **bleep** bags out there but building a loyal customer base by such a move would overshadow and compensate for the monetary loss from the actions of a few by increased sales. I seriously think this system has huge potential with the hardware that is inside, but by limiting this so much Sony is only hurting itself by decreased sales. It almost seems like they gave up on their own product. Hell they spent more time on a **bleep** Harry Potter game than this new system and the 25 or so games that are out for it. Just incredible.

Baptism's of Fire
Photobucket
Message 6 of 14 (5,940 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1380 posts

Jul 2, 2012

It needs FLASH support.

Message 7 of 14 (5,930 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4602 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2012

portalplayer9 wrote:

I, myself was expecting a better experience than the horrid netfront browser on PSP.  It isn't that much better to be honest.  Brings me back to the days when I was hoping for a major PSP browser upgrade, but never got anything worth mentioning.  Back then, it was applicable because the browsers we used on the go were not that great.  The Vita browser is not useful or fast enough to use for something other than a quick news read.  Even then, Opera mobile on my phone or Chrome on my iPad for example is just so much faster.

It really is unfortunate, because the Vita has that potential to be a great single device.  Even with Skype credits, it can take over a cell phone for light users.  With that being said, my hopes for the Vita are that in it's lifetime it will get some nicesoftware additions, unlike the PSP which left me wanting more software wise from the beginning.  A really good browser would be absolutely fantastic for forum browsing.

Finally, I want to add that this is reflections on the hopes I had for the PSP and what I would like presently.  In no way am I dissing the PSP, it was/is a very remarkable device for it's time.  Remember using it for the first time?  The Vita should have much more potential software wise, so It shouldn't be too much to ask for this time around.  Happy gaming otherwise!

Green Collar Baseball. Go A's!

Message 8 of 14 (5,926 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
499 posts

Jul 2, 2012

The Vita browser is the best browser I've ever used on a console and that says a lot.

=First in the world to 100% Fat Princess=

Message 9 of 14 (5,923 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Jul 3, 2012
Agreed it definitely needs a browser upgrade or replacement via either Chrome, Firefox or Opera. The current one has too many limitations and too many flaws, such as if there are two scroll bars on a page, the browser only drags the whole page down to bounce back up as if it was an image or something. Web messengers will not connect. Any links that refer to youtube, facebook, etc do not trigger their "app" counterparts, which is just poor coding on their part.

I agree with you Heartbreaker, the more sony tries to wall it up in hopes of hiding it from hackers, the more crippled the whole system will get. You already can't access the folder directory to transfer music or photos normally (which makes searching through the content manager a pain in the ***. ) If they'd just open some of the flood gates, for all psp compatability, ps1/2 compatability, and allow opera, chrome or firefox to create a browser for them, the system would draw in alot more interest by the gaming community.
Werewolfhero's anime, manga, reviews, recommendations, blogs and lists at Anime-Planet
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Message 10 of 14 (5,909 Views)
0 Likes