Apr 25 2012
By: glaciusx25 MVP Support 13560 posts

Was just thinking...

10 replies 10 views Edited Apr 25, 2012

I bought the Accidental Damage coverage from Best Buy.

My manager told me that their son dropped their iPad2, but they had accidental damage coverage. And he got an Ipad3 as his replacement.

You think that if, say, a slim model came out next year of the Vita, and I "dropped" my Vita, they'd replace it with the newer model? (Especially since usually the Slim model replaces the original with Sony)?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 11 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Re: Was just thinking...

Apr 25, 2012

Seems like more of an arbitrary decision to me on the part of Best Buy.

I got Best Buy coverage too, for 2 years, but hope I don't use it.

Message 2 of 11 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1670 posts

Apr 25, 2012

That is Apple this is Sony do you get where I am going?

Message 3 of 11 (10 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13560 posts

Apr 25, 2012

TMAZT3R wrote:

That is Apple this is Sony do you get where I am going?

But it's Best Buy's coverage plan, not Applecare.

Message 4 of 11 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1670 posts

Apr 25, 2012

Well is not best buy an apple buddy and most other electronic stores, sony is the underdog.

Message 5 of 11 (10 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13560 posts

Apr 25, 2012

Well I'm just saying that their policy is that if you need a replacement, they replace it with either the same model, or the newer one if the old one stops.

So I'm just suggesting that perhaps if a slim model of the Vita came out next year (and then the original Vita design was no longer being produced), that people could possibly get a free replacement assuming they bought coverage through Best buy.

I had some old Turtle Beach headphones that broke, but had coverage for it. And since the model I owned was discontinued, I got the newer model.

Message 6 of 11 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
621 posts

Apr 25, 2012

its going to be one of those things where it depends on who you get when u go up there, same thing happened to my sister a few weeks ago and she got a Ipad2 instead of a Ipad3. Just  ewhen i worked at the movie theater depending on what manager the customer got, they would get free tickets AND concessions, or just free tickets for a bad experience.

Photobucket

Message 7 of 11 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
246 posts

Apr 25, 2012

Im not sure, I have the two year replacement plan on it now too(but not accidental).

I was hoping it was like their old one where they gave you a gift card with the amount you paid and you could then buy the newer or cheaper version and maybe have some money left over, but Im pretty sure they have changed their policy since then.

my first 2 year warrenty from best buy was awesome:

I paid 350+tax for a xbox that eventually broke back in the day.  I took it back to BB 1.5 years later and they gave my all my money back on a gift card.  by then xbox was cheaper and I got one for 200$ and had 175$ left over on my GC. 

Im pretty sure they have a different policy now, but they cant give you the old model if they only have the new one.  So you can atleast expect for a free upgrade if there is a new model out by yhe time yours "breaks"

Message 8 of 11 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
623 posts

Apr 25, 2012

Maybe, and I stress maybe, if there is no available replacement would you recieve a newer slim unit. This would be entirely up to best buy. As for Sony's stance; I know that with Sony's warranty service you would recieve a Re-Furbished Model in replacement. They stopped production of the 60 GB PS3 shortly after launch do to over heating issues, amongst other things; but anyone with a 60 GB unit that required warranty services still would recieve another refurbished 60 GB model. Even as recent as last November, when my friend needed an out of warranty repair on a 60 GB PS3 and was givin a refurb 60 GB for a replacement. Some with the 60 GB unit have had them fail time after time, all of which would usually be covered by the warranty so a refurb was sent, and they would recieve a revised warranty period only to have the new one go out, have another refurb sent out, again it fails ...etc. On and on again. I don't know the specifics of the Best Buy policies but would be impressed if they would replace a defective or damaged unit with the most current/more expensive product available. I purchased my Vita from GameStop and added the 2 year Protection Plan w/ Accidental Damage from Sony off the PS Store. Why not right...

"When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Do you see the real you, or what you have been conditioned to believe is you? The two are so, so different. One is an infinite consciousness capable of being and creating whatever it chooses, the other is an illusion imprisoned by its own perceived and programmed limitations."
David Icke
Message 9 of 11 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Apr 25, 2012

Maybe, yes. From my experience with returning damaged things, if the object is old enough to not excist anymore (like they don't make it anymore or it's really rare) then you will probably end up with the newer version. I'll show examples:

1. I bought the Rock Band drums like a year after the game came out. They came out to be bad, and they sent me the newer ones from Rock Band II.
  2. I returned (just about 3 months ago or so) my 1st gen iPod nano and I received the newest one (the one with the touch screen that looks like a square).

I can't say the same thing with Nintendo. After sending my DSi two times I still got the same thing. The hinges kept breaking if you were wondering, but the reason could be because the DSi XL hadn't come out yet.

You could sertainly try after a new Vita comes out, but you would have to wait like a year and a half or so.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 10 of 11 (10 Views)
0 Likes