Jan 02 2012
By: chickenbonetom Treasure Hunter 7613 posts

Was The PS3 Designed With The Idea Of Watching Netflix For Hrs In Mind?

5 replies 128 views Edited Jan 2, 2012

I have notice a implux of YLOD issues with PS3's ever since the PS3 got Netflix added to it. Naturally most users that have Netflix will be watching quite a bit of movies & shows for hrs on end. Thus leaving their PS3's on for much longer than when they were just using it to play games on it. Obviously I know the PS3 was designed with the idea to play Blu-Ray movies so in turn it can handle being on for very long periods of time without any adverse effects to it. However I've seen ppl watch 5 movies and whole seasons of shows on Netflix in one setting on the PS3, Usually on a semi daily basis. I don't think Sony designed the PS3 (At least not the older FAT Models) with Netflix in mind. What do you all think of this?

Message 1 of 6 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Was The PS3 Designed With The Idea Of Watching Netflix For Hrs In Mind?

Jan 2, 2012

You should be just fine. I probably tax my PS3 harder than Netflix with protein folding simulations for Pande Group at Stanford University. I leave Folding@home running for the better part of the day.

Message 2 of 6 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jan 2, 2012

Your reasoning is not valid as there are many more people that got the YLOD before netflix was ever added than there are after

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 6 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Jan 2, 2012

potatobreath wrote:

You should be just fine. I probably tax my PS3 harder than Netflix with protein folding simulations for Pande Group at Stanford University. I leave Folding@home running for the better part of the day.

I didn't understand anything you just wrote except the first sentence.

Message 4 of 6 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5045 posts

Jan 2, 2012

chickenbonetom wrote:

I have notice a implux of YLOD issues with PS3's ever since the PS3 got Netflix added to it. Naturally most users that have Netflix will be watching quite a bit of movies & shows for hrs on end. Thus leaving their PS3's on for much longer than when they were just using it to play games on it. Obviously I know the PS3 was designed with the idea to play Blu-Ray movies so in turn it can handle being on for very long periods of time without any adverse effects to it. However I've seen ppl watch 5 movies and whole seasons of shows on Netflix in one setting on the PS3, Usually on a semi daily basis. I don't think Sony designed the PS3 (At least not the older FAT Models) with Netflix in mind. What do you all think of this?

Photobucket

While I don't think the ps3 was designed with Netflix in mind from the get-go, I think It can handle it just fine.

I myself have used Netflix for LONG periods of time on many occasions. When I was unemployed & there were NO jobs around me, We had the ps3 on for at least 12-14 hrs/day watching complete series of Sliders, Lost & plenty of others on my fat 40GB. No problems at all, and still going strong.

But of course, YMMV

Message 5 of 6 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jan 2, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Your reasoning is not valid as there are many more people that got the YLOD before netflix was ever added than there are after

Minds are like Parachutes. They work best when open.

It appears that way because of a confounding variable that you may have missed. When Neflix was launched, the PS3s were redesigned with newer, lower-power (and consequently lower heat) chips. These newer chips may be more resistant to stresses from repeated turn-on and turn-off cycles on the PS3.

edit: oh, I noticed you were replying to chickenbonetom but clicked reply to my post.

chickenbonetom, Folding@home taxes the PS3 harder than Netflix ever will. You should be fine. Unless you know people bought their fat PS3s new only to view Netflix and you've been keeping track of all of them, it's hard to conclude that Netflix causes the PS3s to get YLOD.

Message 6 of 6 (128 Views)
0 Likes