Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Re: Want to speed up your PS3 internet connection? Then read this.

Jul 24, 2010

RONIN-LEE wrote:

Haseo_Uchiha wrote:

AGNT-ATHOS wrote:

I think there is a difference in PSN connection speed and your PS3 browser internet speed. The speedtest.net performed from your browser is not done through the PSN, it should just be an open port through your router, same as any PC connected to your home network. The connection speeds you see when setting up the PS3 is the speed you are connected to the PSN.

I may be completely off track with this, but I can run back to back speed tests using the browser and one using the network setup in XMB. In EVERY test there is a huge difference in measured speed between the two. I am currently on a 25Mb FIOS connection and have seen speeds beyond 51MB download and 18MB upload using the PS3 browser @ speedtest.net, within minutes using the network connection test, I may have 3-6MB download and 768K - 3MB upload.

You should also note there is a disclaimer after the network connection speed test that says results may not accurately reflect your true connection speed.

FWIW, I have tried the advertised DNS addresses and not really seen any advantage in connection speed over using the auto connection settings.

yeah, your definitely right about that, theres a difference between the speed of PSN and the PS3's browser. But the DNS IP's I included above are suppose to inhance the speed of your overall PS3 connection with the internet. Before I ever set these IP's, my connection was always between 4.0 to 6.0Mbps when tested with the (Connection Test) feature on the XMB, After I set those IP's, my connection went up to 17.5Mbps; still using the (Connection Test) feature on the XMB. I even did a series of tests to confirm the changes. What mostly changes is that when you use the PS3 browser, pages load much faster and downloads are a bit faster and more responsive. The reason why your connection was unaffected by the OpenDNS is probably because your current internet speed may already be optimized under quality DNS settings provided by your ISP, or it can be something else, there can be many reasons why it didn't work. But as stated above, it is not gauranteed that you will see better reults like I did.

For those who are interested in doing what the OP suggested and OpenDNS is not the one for you, then here is a site that determines which is the best DNS gateway for you.

It automatically check as soon as you load the site - after the site is loaded it will display the IP address of the best DNS based on your location.

Once again here is the site.

LOL I tried this method during my series of DNS testing today and my connection dropped from 17.5Mbps to about 8.3Mbps (Its still faster than my default DNS setting; 6.0Mbps, but it was no where close to OpenDNS). At first I thought it probably took a while to get back up to 17.6Mbps but it never did, I waited 2 hours too. So I changed it back to OpenDNS and it went back to 17.6Mbps. I would first recommend OpenDNS, then try this method afterwards and see whats better for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 34 (4,833 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Jul 24, 2010

Thanks Haseo! I learn something new on these forums everyday.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 34 (4,833 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Jul 25, 2010

AGNT-ATHOS wrote:

Thanks Haseo! I learn something new on these forums everyday.

No problem, I'm glad I helped (^_^)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 34 (4,833 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
704 posts

Jul 25, 2010

I have been using ICS to share my net from my pc to the ps3 for a while now. These dns acutally decreased the amount of time it takes for me to login. Just before the xmb finishes loading I'm logged in. Nice find.

INFORM YOURSELF
Watch:
Secret Space
Zeitgeist Final Edition
The Obama Deception
Network
Run From the Cure
Invisible Empire
Police State 5
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 34 (4,833 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 5, 2010

I tried what you said and i still only get 1.5 mbps download and half that for upload? any ideas what i can do?

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 34 (4,833 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Re: Want to speed up your  PS3 internet connection? Then read this.

Sep 17, 2011

Fail.

Tried it and went from Mbps to kbps!

So very sad

Normally only have 3Mbps to 6Mbps up and down depending on bandwidth usage in area.

(I mention usage because keep in mind, bandwidth is not all yours, it is the connection in your area and is shared by everyone around you.The system can only handle so much and the signal can degrade with distance. If you are in an older area with old connections, it is quite probable that the hardware in the area is outdated. Unless you can get your service provider to update your grid, you may always be limited in your connection speed. That is why the ISP's advertise that "you CAN have speeds UP TO" just depends on the infrastructure and number of connections using it.) ( I was able to set my clock by when the kids got out of school and went online when they got home in one area and bandwidth became nearly non-existent) Anyway, I digress

Thought this might actually help, and it might for certain people with certain ISP's.It dropped my connection to under 256kbps up and down.

Searched a little further and found that a Gigabit wireless N router going through a 10 year old cable modem running DOCSIS 1.1 or 2.0 with a max of 30 Mbps total bonded, really does nothing for speed considering three other computers and 2 game consoles running on that connection. Got a new modem with DOCSIS 3.0 and went to 300Mbps capability. A big difference! more than doubled connections speeds. Who would have thought?

Got slow connection speed? Check your hardware and update your firmware or get new devices.

Thats all I have to say about that.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 34 (4,832 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 19, 2012

your the fkm man 23.3 mbps

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 34 (4,765 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 31, 2013
I've tried everything to get my connection speed up and I can't seem to get it past 1.2 Mbps
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 34 (4,438 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 31, 2013

Who is your ISP that offers 259 down.... I dont know anyone who is offering that speed. Just wondering

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 34 (4,436 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 7, 2013
For me it went down before I was at 5.8 Mbps and now at 2.7 Mbps why did it do that??
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 34 (4,351 Views)
0 Likes