Mar 16 2013
By: XxFenrir24xX First Son 5 posts

Wait for PS4 or buy the PS3 Now?

29 replies 15855 views Edited Mar 16, 2013

Hey everyone, 

I know everyone on this message board gets this question ALL the time, but I am going to ask it anyways. Smiley Tongue

Basically, I have always been an Xbox player (I come in peace), I wouldn't say that I have ever been a "fanboy" per say. But I have always bought Microsoft's gaming products. Because of this, I have never owned a Playstation before, whether it be the PS1, PS2, or obviously the PS3. 

The thing is that I am really bored of the Xbox, and everything that comes with it, and I am ready for a change! Yes I put an exclamation point there make my enthusiasm more noticeable. I am ready to try something different.

I have always wanted to a Playstation 3, and there are several games that I would love to play like MLB 2013: The Show (I'm a huge baseball fan, and 2K is awful), Killzone, God of War, and the Uncharted series. 

However, I know that the new console is around the corner, and it is something that I will more than likely get at some point, maybe not right away but at some point within a year of release, and it may not be worth it to spend the money on a soon to be outdated console. Being a college student it's important to spend money as efficiently as possible, even if one may be a gift at some point (which they more than likely would be which ever console it is), I still would have to buy new games for it, which could be expensive.

So, should I get a PS3 now, and try some great games that have come out since it's release all those years ago, or should I wait for the Playstation 4 to make my Playstation debut and not waste the money on games and a console that more than likely will be replaced in the next year and a half anyways?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 30 (15,855 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

Re: Wait for PS4 or buy the PS3 Now?

Mar 16, 2013

XxFenrir24xX wrote:

Hey everyone, 

I know everyone on this message board gets this question ALL the time, but I am going to ask it anyways. Smiley Tongue

Basically, I have always been an Xbox player (I come in peace), I wouldn't say that I have ever been a "fanboy" per say. But I have always bought Microsoft's gaming products. Because of this, I have never owned a Playstation before, whether it be the PS1, PS2, or obviously the PS3. 

The thing is that I am really bored of the Xbox, and everything that comes with it, and I am ready for a change! Yes I put an exclamation point there make my enthusiasm more noticeable. I am ready to try something different.

I have always wanted to a Playstation 3, and there are several games that I would love to play like MLB 2013: The Show (I'm a huge baseball fan, and 2K is awful), Killzone, God of War, and the Uncharted series. 

However, I know that the new console is around the corner, and it is something that I will more than likely get at some point, maybe not right away but at some point within a year of release, and it may not be worth it to spend the money on a soon to be outdated console. Being a college student it's important to spend money as efficiently as possible, even if one may be a gift at some point (which they more than likely would be which ever console it is), I still would have to buy new games for it, which could be expensive.

So, should I get a PS3 now, and try some great games that have come out since it's release all those years ago, or should I wait for the Playstation 4 to make my Playstation debut and not waste the money on games and a console that more than likely will be replaced in the next year and a half anyways?

Thanks!

I have both a 360 and a PS3. I only use my 360 to play the Halo games and the Elder Scroll games. In my opinion the PS3 is the better of the two and Sony doesn't charge you to play online. The games look and play great. The PS4 may not have backwards compatibility so to play those games that you mentioned you will probably have to wait until Gaikai is set up and they will be streamed to the PS4. Realistically you should plan on getting both, but in the meantime I recommend the God of War bundle that comes with all the God of war games and is a good start. the Uncharted and Killzone games you can pick up for cheap. The only game you'll need to pay full price for is MLB. So if you ask me, I'd get a PS3 now then wait a year or so to get a PS4.

Message 2 of 30 (15,847 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15342 posts

Mar 16, 2013

First and foremost let me say this. Sony has something called the ten year plan; supporting the console for ten years, and in the PS2's case, behind that. The PS3 won't fade from view after a year with the introduction of the PS4. It was only until fairly recently that Sony stopped production of the PS2. We'll see PS3 games being released well into the PS4's early years as Sony will continue to support it for as long as possible.

However, PS3's are fairly cheap now. Certainly not $99, but still fairly cheap. Owning both a PS3 and PS4 as stated previously wouldn't be outrageous. But I leave that up to you.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 3 of 30 (15,832 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4466 posts

Mar 16, 2013

I'd get a PS3 if I was you. There are soo many great games for it that you wont be able to play on PS4 for the moment. Plus their still gonna keep making games for it for at least a few more years.

Message 4 of 30 (15,822 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 16, 2013
Woahhh.... Me too i'm confused whether i should buy ps3 or wait for ps4.... I think buying ps3 now is a better idea, as it cost about 1/9 of ps4 (ps4 not worth the cost? http://m.au.gamespot.com/news/ps4-not-worth-the-cost-says-nvidia-6405300 ) it's about $999 right? Compared to the ps3 which is $150ish(secondhand) and i think ps4 would still undergo many changes.... And because the information on ps4 is still too little... Soo the best thing to do now i think is to buy 2nd hand ps3 Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 30 (15,821 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Mar 16, 2013
Welcome to the PlayStation Family Smiley Happy Please feel free to add me if you want. Also Resistance is a great series Smiley Happy
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 6 of 30 (15,807 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Mar 16, 2013

Well the PS4 won't be $999. That's ridiculous. But it will be more expensive than a PS3, and will have less games in the beginning, and won't be compatible with PS3 games right out of the gate and who knows how long before it will be. 

So I would say buy a PS3 now and invest in a PS4 a couple years down the road. 

Message 7 of 30 (15,802 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 16, 2013

I have heard that Sony will keep the Playstation 3 alive for a couple of years after the PS4, which I like. I am leaning towards getting it, and   just having fun with it for awhile. The amount of games that I haven't gotten to play is pretty staggering, and it will take me awhile to get through the games that have come out since 2006. Which could make it a good buy. Plus that feeling of bringing home a new gaming console is close to priceless. 

Message 8 of 30 (15,798 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Mar 16, 2013
Destron5683.....ease tell me your kidding or just came out from under a rock?
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 9 of 30 (15,796 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Mar 16, 2013

I really hope that it won't cost $1000. That price tag is staggering to me. I was thinking it would be about $600 at the most for the next gen.

Message 10 of 30 (15,785 Views)
0 Likes