MVP Support
8893 posts

Re: WE WAN'T CROSS GAME CHAT

Jul 6, 2012

S_C_O_P_IE_D wrote:

I have to admit, comming from Xbox (Which is a paid for service) even had had a party chat feature, and on the free service (Silver) you we're able to Private chat people, I don't see why Sony doesn't get on board, Hell! I'd even pay for it if they'd include it. 

I'm all for this!

Because there isn't enough system RAM for cross game chat to work on the ps3.

There is however Cross game chat on the ps vita.

Message 11 of 20 (262 Views)
Naughty Paw
19769 posts

Jul 6, 2012

Emerald_Swords wrote:

S_C_O_P_IE_D wrote:

I have to admit, comming from Xbox (Which is a paid for service) even had had a party chat feature, and on the free service (Silver) you we're able to Private chat people, I don't see why Sony doesn't get on board, Hell! I'd even pay for it if they'd include it. 

I'm all for this!

Because there isn't enough system RAM for cross game chat to work on the ps3.

There is however Cross game chat on the ps vita.

This is the exact answer. No exceptions.

You'll probably have to wait for the PS4 if you want a PS home console to have the feature or until Sony recalls every PS3 in the world and upgrades them to have more RAM and then gives them back to you after they are done upgrading it (like THAT will ever happen).

Message 12 of 20 (260 Views)
First Son
6 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 6, 2012

kevinbomb123 wrote:

The ps3 is a weak system in comparison to the xbox sony themselves has stated its impossable for cross game chat due to the ps3s system hardware.

kevinbomb123, 
You mean software, not hardware. Hardware are the physical parts inside of the console, software is the code that is used to make the apps, games, etc.

In either case, the PS3's hardware is not weak.

If the hardware support's the PS3 operating system, but the operating system (supposedly) can't possibly support cross-game chat, than it's how the software was built that is restricting it, not the hardware inside of the PlayStation.

I'm sure they could release a major patch, but first, it would probably be unstable as the PS3 does firmware updates, not software updates. So it would just basically be an extension to the operating system, Sony would not be able to actually change the operating system itself to be able to properly release cross-game chat. Secondly, if they did it would likely be unstable due to the first reason.

So, for those reasons, Sony has already denied rumors of cross-game chat for the PS3. It's just not happening. Not unless Sony makes a newer PS3 model with a slightly modded operating system to allow cross-game chat.

Message 13 of 20 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16827 posts

Jul 6, 2012

kevinbomb123 wrote:

The ps3 is a weak system in comparison to the xbox sony themselves has stated its impossable for cross game chat due to the ps3s system hardware.

It is NOT because of the hardware......  why not follow the link I provided..... it clearly states WHY its impossible for cross game chat.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 14 of 20 (246 Views)
First Son
18 posts

Sep 18, 2012
Wow, how much RAM does the PS3 have then? I'm sure disabling some of the visual features would allow for this to happen.
S_C_O_P_IE_D
Message 15 of 20 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16827 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 18, 2012

S_C_O_P_IE_D wrote:
Wow, how much RAM does the PS3 have then? I'm sure disabling some of the visual features would allow for this to happen.

256MB for System RAM and 256MB for GPU/Video....... You cannot "add" the RAM together because thats not how the PS3 is designed.

Sony has already "let go" of some RAM from the XMB and in-game XMB through firmware patches, but its still not enough. 

The X360 has a UNIFIED 512MB of RAM so any game/app/feature can use however much RAM is needed.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 16 of 20 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 18, 2012

Ive got this deal lets me chat with who ever I want and it dont matter if they are on cpu,xbox,playstation,Atari 2600. We can all use it to chat no matter what we are playing its called wait....for....it  a speaker phone. 

Message 17 of 20 (194 Views)
Survivor
2609 posts

Sep 18, 2012

When will people realize that Cross-Game Chat on PS3 just isn't possible? And does anyone even use it on the Vita?

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 18 of 20 (187 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Sep 18, 2012

Post This In BlogShare You'll Get More Feedback There.

Message 19 of 20 (180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Sep 18, 2012

Dominator142 wrote:

I'm aware of the RAM limitations in the current PS3 models, but couldn't they just up the RAM in order to enable the feature?

I guess you didn't get the memo that a CONSOLE is a UNIFORM hardware and is not subject to major hardware specifications.

Increasing the RAM is a MAJOR hardware change.

1) To voluntarily comply with EPA Goldstar power ratings for Game consoles now or within two years forced to do it by California power regulations for game consoles, a MASSIVE redesign of the PS3 NOT using Cell but multiple more modern PPU+ SPU multiprocessor architecture cpu packages and modern GPU and the modern support chips needed by CPU and GPU is needed.  Power at the XMB needs to drop from 61 watts to 35 watts.  This hardware is so different that Software emulation will be required.

It will probably have a AMD A6 APU core with X86 processors replaced by the CPU packages mentioned in a 2010 Sony patent: two 1PPU3SPU CPU packages.  It will probably have 1 gig of unified memory.  

2) Since X game chat is a OS feature provided by the XMB OS and running in the extra memory provided for emulation overhead it will not break PS3 games side compatibility.

3) From the previous leaks that Cross Game Chat would be a Playstation Plus feature, it's already fragmenting the PS3 userbase.  X Game chat would only be available between the newer PS3 4K and Vita and each other.  

4) If the Digitimes PS4 2012 rumor is a more modern hardware version of a PS3 that was recognized as not being PS3 hardware, (No separate Cell-RSX) it has a Kinect like interface and Sony expects to sell 20 million the first year (PS3 4K chassis), issues of not enough users with a X game Chat PS3 will be addressed very soon.  

It would be difficult to shrink cell and economically impossible to put the RSX designed for bulk process Silicon on SOI with PPU and SPU CPUs.  Microsoft and IBM had similar issues with the Xbox 360S SoC and chose to use three modern 2010 PPUs, a custom 2010 AMD GPU designed for SOI and put them on one SOI wafer @ 45nm.   A redesigned Xbox 360 is coming also and may be using essentially the same AMD A6 Core.  Suggested by microsoft-sony.com, a PS3 AMD A6 APU could emulate either PS3 or Xbox 360.  

16 gig SSD flash memory on the motherboard or in the SoC package will be in the PS4 and Xbox 720 also.  It should allow OS and Cache in the 4 gig reserved (FCC listing says 16 gig and leaks have the size 12 gigs) that will speedup snapshot boot and using the webkit stack gameside.

Message 20 of 20 (167 Views)
0 Likes