Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
24397 posts

Re: Voice your opinion to install games to the hard drive

Oct 3, 2012

GhostCapt wrote:
There's been talk of just digital download of being the only means of playing games in future consoles which would eliminate the sales of used dvd games .
Yes it would take up hard drive space but you have the option to delete the game from your hard drive while still keeping your accomplishments from the game and still have the dvd for future play or install to go back to the old game .
If you google broken bluray player on ps3 you find hundreds of ps3 or 2 that have broken .
Robert Bowling from infinity ward tweeted that he recommends to install the call of duty to hdd on any console rather then a dvd or bluray player.

And why do you think that is? He says that because they effectively cut out the middle man, and put more money in their pockets. Again, if you "google" Bigfoot sightings you get 394,000 matches. If you google Elvis sightings, you get 760,000 results. Well that must mean The King isn't dead, and the hills are rampant with Sasquatch from sea to shining sea.

Don't put too much stock in what you read on the internet. There may be "hundreds of PS3", however that's hundreds out of over SIXTY MILLION. The number is infinitesimal when you're comparetively speaking.  

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 40 (158 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7931 posts

Oct 3, 2012

GhostCapt wrote:

If you google broken bluray player on ps3 you find hundreds of ps3 or 2 that have broken .

Hundreds.  Out of TENS OF MILLIONS of PS3s sold.  And how many of those failures can be accounted for by faulty hardware, owner negligence/abuse, or just plain "got old"?

A Blu-ray player is still a just a piece of electronic equipment, which is not built to last forever.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 40 (152 Views)
First Son
22 posts

Oct 3, 2012
Alright am not trying argue about the bluray player or google searches of of bigfoot and I don't believe everything I read .
Just trying to get other people who feel the same way and there out there . I would like members to do the research.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 40 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
139 posts

Oct 4, 2012

It would be better if you didnt need the disc to start the game

60GB PS3 with 320GB HDD
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 40 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Oct 4, 2012

it would be nice to have the option of doing so but it won't happen because this just opens another door to the hackers.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 40 (133 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Oct 4, 2012
kythunder wrote:
it would be nice to have the option of doing so but it won't happen because this just opens another door to the hackers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But it could happen..... it can happen and it is happening .
Hackers will always be a problem no matter what they do .
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 40 (120 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5666 posts

Oct 4, 2012

OK, so you download to the HDD rather than run off the Blu-ray to "save" the Blu-ray.

Now you're putting more load on the HDD.  What's to say this load won't wear IT out faster?  (assuming most of us haven't swapped out the HDD for a solid state drive).

I have no idea what the failure rates are between Blu-ray drives and HDD's, but I'd rather have a Blu-ray fail (so long as it can be replaced - they should unpair the motherboard from the Blu-ray) than have an HDD fail that then prevents booting the console and accessing the rest of the data on it!

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
 photo Signature2.png

MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 40 (114 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 4, 2012
The X360 has already had this option for some time, and it works for all of its games.

I think this is a great idea, and would reduce wear and tear on the BD drive, especially if you play the same game over and over. In any case, I would rather replace a worn out HDD than a BD drive.
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 40 (113 Views)
First Son
22 posts

Oct 5, 2012
I agree with logical_Dolphin It is much easier to replace a hdd then a bluray player .
But hard drives were designed to read and write consistently for that rather then the bluray player .
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 40 (91 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

Oct 5, 2012

vfr_800_rider wrote:

OK, so you download to the HDD rather than run off the Blu-ray to "save" the Blu-ray.

Now you're putting more load on the HDD.  What's to say this load won't wear IT out faster?  (assuming most of us haven't swapped out the HDD for a solid state drive).

I have no idea what the failure rates are between Blu-ray drives and HDD's, but I'd rather have a Blu-ray fail (so long as it can be replaced - they should unpair the motherboard from the Blu-ray) than have an HDD fail that then prevents booting the console and accessing the rest of the data on it!

Heres the thing..... if a hdd dies.... you can replace it, and if you're SMART and RESPONSIBLE, you will not have lost any data because you would have a recent backup.

If the BD drive dies.... you're pretty much SOL. 

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 40 (87 Views)