Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 03 2012
By: GhostCapt First Son 22 posts

Voice your opinion to install games to the hard drive

[ Edited ]
39 replies 331 views Edited Oct 9, 2012

Just spent an hour reading from another forum comments on why ps3 should have an option to install your own game  to the hard drive.

There should be an option to install your game to the hdd some how by using the game you purchased as a key.  So let me clarify this by installing the game to the hdd you would still need to but the original dvd game in the bluray player to prove you have the disk but would use the hard drive to play .

For me some games like mw3 my bluray player takes a beating when playing this game not to the mention it's getting loader then normal.

I would like for those ps3 members to voice there opinion to see if sony would add this option to there systems .

I am hoping with enough people they will respond.   There is a lot of people out there that feel the same way . 

Anybody who would like this option go to the link below and let vote count .

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2010/03/24/option-to-completely-install-every-game-to-hdd...

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 40 (331 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8076 posts

Re: Voice your opinion to install games to the hard drive

Oct 3, 2012

I'm just curious why you think your blu-ray player is 'taking a beating' by doing what it was designed to do...

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 40 (324 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Oct 3, 2012

I could totally be wrong on this, so I defer to the more technically inclined, but doesn't every game install components onto the drive?  

I thought they all did this to reduce load time.

I understand you mean to have the complete game installed, thus, hopefully, reducing the wear on the drive, and as a plus, reduce load times.  That would be novel, but it will certainly reduce the space for download only games, and those given out free to PLUS subscribers.

Moble 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 40 (322 Views)
Sackboy
638 posts

Oct 3, 2012
Most of (option) full install games from PS3 disc are coming from fighting games. I do always prefer full installation though from PS3 disc.
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 40 (314 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15435 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

Ummm yea......

we already have a thread about this very subject..... so please..... converse in that thead

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/installing-games-on-the-ps3-hard-drive/td-p/642...

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 40 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
75 posts

Oct 3, 2012

This is why I love the idea of digital downloading. I would much rather have my games on hdd then on a physical disk.  And the way your saying it you are doing double the work. Downloading the game and have the disk.  That's why I love the PSN and the new Day 1 digital. Already got doom and NFS pre ordered. As well as I have about 30 games on my hard drive and 7 physical. Its so easy to just turn one off and start another one up. I periodically back up my hdd and the cloud saves the rest.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 40 (306 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Oct 3, 2012
just goggle blu ray or dvd players were designed to play movies , read data .
If you ever watch a blu ray player read while playing a game the lazer jumps in fast motion . were when your watching a movie it's smooth not vibrating
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 40 (297 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24677 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

GhostCapt wrote:
If you ever watch a blu ray player read while playing a game the lazer jumps in fast motion . were when your watching a movie it's smooth not vibrating

I can "just google" Bigfoot and "Elvis is alive", it doesn't  mean that's true either. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 40 (291 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Oct 3, 2012
There's been talk of just digital download of being the only means of playing games in future consoles which would eliminate the sales of used dvd games .
Yes it would take up hard drive space but you have the option to delete the game from your hard drive while still keeping your accomplishments from the game and still have the dvd for future play or install to go back to the old game .
If you google broken bluray player on ps3 you find hundreds of ps3 or 2 that have broken .
Robert Bowling from infinity ward tweeted that he recommends to install the call of duty to hdd on any console rather then a dvd or bluray player.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 40 (289 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8076 posts

Oct 3, 2012

GhostCapt wrote:

When something needs to load, yes, that's what it does.  Not unlike the R/W head on a HDD.  When you are playing CoD or MoH or any other military/combat "simulator", it loads the map and the necessary data, then spins down.  If it were "taking a beating" as you say, which I interpret as "constantly loading", your game would be unplayable.  More than likely, in the course of your game, it is actually the HDD that is "taking a beating" updating the swap file (the PS3 only has 256MB of RAM, a typical wargame map probably takes up 75% of that and the active game data uses the rest, which means your HDD (where the memory swap file resides) is what would be running.

Optical media (be it Blu-ray or DVD) is simply too slow to be used in such a fashion.

As for your first point, a Blu-ray player was designed to play movies and read data.  Think about it for a moment.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 40 (286 Views)
0 Likes