Mar 03 2013
By: dknecht Splicer 52 posts

Vita worth buying?

14 replies 341 views Edited Mar 3, 2013
I'm considering buying a Vita and would like some input on what you all feel are the good/bad of the system. I play my PS3 quite a bit and wonder how the cross play works? Does it work well with the Pulse headset? I'm also a PS+ member so do I understand right that it would apply to the Vita as well? Thanks for help
PS4 launch 500gb
60gb b/c upgraded to 500gb
Pulse Elite headset
500gb AC3 super slim
Vita wifi and PS plus member
PS+ member
Message 1 of 15 (341 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

Re: Vita worth buying?

Mar 3, 2013

dknecht wrote:
I'm considering buying a Vita and would like some input on what you all feel are the good/bad of the system. I play my PS3 quite a bit and wonder how the cross play works? Does it work well with the Pulse headset? I'm also a PS+ member so do I understand right that it would apply to the Vita as well? Thanks for help

In my opinion Yes it's worth buying. but you have to research the games and see if they're your cup of tea, so to speak. Cross play is pretty much you can play certain games on both the PS3 and the Vita and swap saves. So as an example you start off playing the game on your PS3 then if you want to continue playing on the Vita, you transfer your save and start off where you left off.

I do not own a Pulse Headset so I don't know, but I believe that you can not use it with the Vita wirelessly (I could be wrong) it has to be plugged into the system. Yes PS Plus works the same for both systems, meaning one subscription will give you free games for both.

Message 2 of 15 (331 Views)
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 3, 2013

First I'll start with your PS+ inquiry. Hopefully you've been "purchasing" every Vita IGC since it was released. If so, then you immediately start with quite the collection, including four AAA titles (Uncharted:GA, Gravity Rush, Wipeout 2048, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus). I got my Vita in November back when PS+ was added to it and I've barely gone through the PS+ titles (Mutant Blobs is the only one I've beaten so far...almost done with U:GA though).

I don't know anything about the Pulse, but according to the Amazon page, it's compatible with the Vita: http://www.amazon.com/Edition-Wireless-Headset-PlayStation-3-63089006306200/dp/B0087OZ5FG

(scroll down to "Product Description")

As for Cross-Play, it all depends on the title and developer. Do you already own some Cross-Play PS3 games that came with Vita codes, such as Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time or PSASBR? I think Sly is a cool example of a unique use of Cross-Play in that you can use a Vita's AR system to discover the hidden treasure spots in the PS3 version by pointing it at your TV. But the real "benefit" of Cross-Play for a PS3 owner is when they implement Cross-Buy and you basically get the Vita version for free.

As for whether the Vita is worth it, I would say yes, but try and wait for a bundle you're interested in to be on sale for $200 (assuming you'd go for WiFi only....don't know what 3G models go for, but I've heard they're phasing them out, as all the bundles recently are WiFi only). I bought the AC3L Bundle for $200.

Whether it's worth it to you ultimately comes down to whether you feel there are enough games you're interested in to warrant the price. Like I said, assuming you've been "purchasing" your IGC games, you'll already start out with a decent collection. Aside from that, if there are enough other games to tickle your fancy, I say go for it. Hopefully if you've been considering a Vita, you've been keeping up on all the upcoming games (Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, etc.), as well as recently released ones....so you should have an idea if there are enough games to keep you busy.

The one negative (and really the only negative, IMO), is the exorbitant price of memory cards. However, you really only need to buy one 16GB or 32GB, so it's not as bad as some think. Unless you absolutely must have all your content available to you 24/7, there's no reason a single card wouldn't work for you. If for some reason your download rates suck or you ISP caps you, you can always back up your games anyway.

Hope that answered your questions.

Message 3 of 15 (330 Views)
Splicer
52 posts

Mar 3, 2013
Thanks for all the information! I would go wifi only as I can't see myself using it as wifi is available in most places I go. I had not been downloading the Vita games I actually didn't know I could ugh. I have seen a handful of games that peaked my interest and that's what started me thinking about the purchase. It sounds like the Vita will be supported with the PS4 and that also started me thinking about it. I have had a PSP in the past and enjoyed it. Boy you aren't kidding the memory sticks are expensive! Will check out current bundles and see if there's any that interest me. Thanks to both of you for the information
PS4 launch 500gb
60gb b/c upgraded to 500gb
Pulse Elite headset
500gb AC3 super slim
Vita wifi and PS plus member
PS+ member
Message 4 of 15 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Mar 3, 2013

dknecht wrote:
Thanks for all the information! I would go wifi only as I can't see myself using it as wifi is available in most places I go. I had not been downloading the Vita games I actually didn't know I could ugh. I have seen a handful of games that peaked my interest and that's what started me thinking about the purchase. It sounds like the Vita will be supported with the PS4 and that also started me thinking about it. I have had a PSP in the past and enjoyed it. Boy you aren't kidding the memory sticks are expensive! Will check out current bundles and see if there's any that interest me. Thanks to both of you for the information

No prob. I definitely recommend going on the PS Store on your PS3 or store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com and "purchase" all the Vita IGC out now. The only AAA title you've missed out on is NGSP, the other three I mentioned are still there.

Message 5 of 15 (302 Views)
Wastelander
810 posts

Mar 3, 2013
You bought the bundle for $200????????
Eh- I'm more interested in getting the red/blue one anyways.
OP: To take full advantage of Cross-Buy and PS+ you'll need a large memory card. 8GB WILL NOT BE ENOUGH!
*PSAS=2.2GB+
*Escape Plan=2.1GB+
*Zen Pinball=500MB+
*Uncharted=3.2GB+
*Gravity Rush=1.6GB+
*Sly Cooper=3.7GB+
*Sly mini games=800MB-

I just bought a 32GB one because 8GB are not enough....... Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 15 (273 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

Mar 3, 2013

I have a 32 and its still not enough. Mind you I like to have as many games available to me at once since I like to jump around. More is always better then less. But its time Sony made memory more affordable. I may be wrong but I don't believe the tech and rhe manufacturing costs warrent such a high price for the memory cards that they sell.

Message 7 of 15 (270 Views)
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Mar 3, 2013

CatatonicAlex wrote:
You bought the bundle for $200????????
Eh- I'm more interested in getting the red/blue one anyways.

Black Friday sale. It was before the Soul Sacrifice bundle was announced, otherwise that would have been the one I'd be gunning for, but that hasn't even been mentioned for NA release anyway, so who knows. I'm glad I didn't wait since I'm loving the Vita so far, but man is that SS red Vita one **bleep** sexy piece of machinery.

Message 8 of 15 (230 Views)
I Only Post Everything
991 posts

Mar 3, 2013

no! its the worst purchase ive ever made! save your money!!! i regret buying it!!!

oh btw today is opposite day for me

Message 9 of 15 (227 Views)
Wastelander
810 posts

Mar 3, 2013
32GB is not enough? You must have purchased every game available for the PS Vita...... Smiley Indifferent
Message 10 of 15 (213 Views)