Aug 14 2011
By: Stovy50 Uncharted Territory 1431 posts

Vita vs psp 3000

9 replies 9988 views Edited Aug 14, 2011

besides the ovbious features of the vita that are new.What makes it so much different/better then the current psp 3000?The reason I ask is because i'm not sure if I want to wait until the Vita comes out and drop that kind of money but I no that I want to go portable in gaming only because I am a seasonal working and usually live in small dorms and have two or three roommates at time.So I was hoping you guys could help me out here.I'm gonna lay out some of the key specs for each system and can you guys point what features would be better for on the road gaming that makes each system different from one another.I would be going with the wifi vita if I decided to get it when it comes out later this year.

Vita features

- NGP's stunning, multitouch 5" OLED display

- Dual Analog Sticks

- Then of course the touch screen I've heard front and back.

- Also including the L2 and R2 buttons not sure if that is true.

- New feature is 3g networking but I won't be getting I won't usually be in range to use it so I'll get wifi.

- Not sure if I am missing any but please list if you have more then the basic difference here.

- Last the transferable data between vita and ps3 would be sweet.However,I would not have my ps3 cosol with me.

Now lets move on to the psp 300

Psp 3000 Features

• Lighter, slimmer, black PSP
  • All-new vibrant widescreen LCD screen
  • Built-in microphone
  • Play on any TV using video out (cables sold separately)
  • Play games, movies, music and more
  • Everywhere just got better
  • More gaming libary then vita also price is most cheaper.Again movies will be playable threw umb.This already has wif .

so finally the only real difference I can see between the two are that Vita has captable 3g,dual analog ( I hardly use any how) touch is meh IMO.so the only thing the really stands for the vita is the transferable data.What are you guys thoughs.I need serious answers if possible.

Message 1 of 10 (9,988 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6837 posts

Re: Vita vs psp 3000

Aug 15, 2011

The Vita has a lot more power than the PSP 3000, which your comparison doesn't show; it's not just the same games but now with 2 sticks and a better screen.  I'm sure you realize that, but the "only real difference" is not the 3G, dual sticks, and touch pad; to me, those are far less important.  Basically, what it comes down to is cost and games.  Do you want to play brand new games, with better graphics?  Have you ever owned/played many PSP games?  Also, how soon would you want to use it?  Vita won't be out until next year (in the US).  If you never had a PSP and think you will like a lot of the games on it, I would say just get a PSP.  You will save money and there is plenty to do on it.  If you get them as downloads, then you can use them on the Vita should you ever get one.  By the time you are through your PSP games the Vita will probably be cheaper, with some "greatest hits" titles and other cheaper games as well.  The downside is you will be experiencing games from the last generation of portables, many of which would be playable on the Vita anyway if you just buy that instead.

Message 2 of 10 (9,988 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Aug 15, 2011

Stovy50 wrote:

Vita features

- NGP's stunning, multitouch 5" OLED display

- Dual Analog Sticks

- Then of course the touch screen I've heard front and back.

- Also including the L2 and R2 buttons not sure if that is true. Nothing has been said about this.

- New feature is 3g networking but I won't be getting I won't usually be in range to use it so I'll get wifi. 3G has a wider coverage than wifi so I do not understand your point.

- Not sure if I am missing any but please list if you have more then the basic difference here.

- Last the transferable data between vita and ps3 would be sweet.However,I would not have my ps3 cosol with me. Remote play is more enhanced and you do not need your PS3 to be with you. The trnsferable data you are talking about is probably games saves, that you can carry on a game from where you left off on the PS3 on to the PSV.
- The games are more like PS3 quality/playability.

- If you are travelling a lot you will gain more from the PSVs new geo cache like rewards and gifting application. Some othe PSV user can leave some DLC, a  new mission or map, or just an image at a geographic location, if you have travelled near that throughout your day you can pick it up and use it in your game or on your PSV.
- You also get to see what other PSV owners are playing and if they are close to you so you can hook up for some multplayer action.
- You get access to all the PSP content from the PSN store, and movies (if your store supports it).
- You will have access to all PS3 dlc for LBP and MNR from day one.

Psp 3000 Features

• Lighter, slimmer, black PSP and other colors/patterns too.
  • Play on any TV using video out (cables sold separately)
  • More gaming libary then vita also price is most cheaper.Again movies will be playable threw umb.This already has wif .Wider choice of titles on UMD only but you will have to carry them around when you travel.
    -Wifi is only 802.11b not b/g/n like the PSVita, so the data transfer rates will be at the slowest speed.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

Message 3 of 10 (9,988 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4330 posts

Aug 17, 2011

PS Vita might be far better than PSP but I think only fewer games will be available due to number of features on Vita.

Gran Turismo Fan | Love Live Fan | PC Technician

Gran Turismo 7 Suggestions

Message 4 of 10 (9,988 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Aug 17, 2011

This is a joke. The PSP was great for it's time but this is seriously no contest. Vita all the way.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 5 of 10 (9,988 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

Aug 18, 2011

I appechaite all of you guys response.But I don't think I'm going to wait is the problem.I won't mind spending the money once it comes and probably will get it.I am doing the seasonal gig right so I do travel a lot and want to down size all my bags.When do you guys think more games for the vita might come out for it?Yes the psp is way cheaper and will be older but for me it would be a good stop gap system until the vita comes out.I plan on only buying a hand full of games to keep me busy for a while any how on the psp.Can you guys suggest any fun games on the psp ?

Message 6 of 10 (9,988 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Aug 18, 2011

There are probably dozens of games in the works for Vita that we don't know about. Over 100 developers supporting it, you better believe it. So expect a bunch of games to come out in the coming months after Vita's launch. They just showed some of the third party titles we can expect to see. Expect a lot more than that to be in the works right now. That is just a taste of things to come. Really exciting.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 7 of 10 (9,988 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Aug 18, 2011

Stovy50 wrote:

I appechaite all of you guys response.But I don't think I'm going to wait is the problem.I won't mind spending the money once it comes and probably will get it.I am doing the seasonal gig right so I do travel a lot and want to down size all my bags.When do you guys think more games for the vita might come out for it?Yes the psp is way cheaper and will be older but for me it would be a good stop gap system until the vita comes out.I plan on only buying a hand full of games to keep me busy for a while any how on the psp.Can you guys suggest any fun games on the psp ?

So if you are buying now and you will also get a PSVita then buy PSN Store games as they are transferable. Also if you are only buying PSN store games and you want to save space while travelling buy a PSPgo it has the same pros you had listed for the 3000 except it is smaller and lack a UMD drive.

Message 8 of 10 (9,988 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6837 posts

Aug 18, 2011

I normally wouldn't recommend a PSPGo, but I think in your situation it makes sense; you'll want to be able to keep those games to play on the Vita.  As long as there aren't UMD-only games that you really want (like Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts) I think that would be a good choice.  In any case, I would recommend getting any games that you can as digital downloads.  The PSP 3000 is usually cheaper but you would also want to buy a larger memory stick for it.

Message 9 of 10 (9,988 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Aug 19, 2011

Well I own a PSP 3000 and the biggest difference I can attest to is the connectivity for networking. My PSP has wifi but the thing about it is that I dont own any mobile hotspots so I can only connect to the web from my house on it. The 3G connectivity being built into the Vita will be quite essential in my mind because I can get the coverage for my Vita and be able to play anywhere anytime. I realise there was something similar to that from TMobile for the PSP but it was quite high priced when I last checked so I decided against it. But for 20-25 bucks a month for 3G on the Vita I think its defly worth the cost.

My honest oppinion is that the Vita was what the PSP was supposed to be originally but they were having issues with the technology and making them smaller and fitting them to the device kinda like with the PS2 the thin ones were supposed to be the product they put out but they had to go with the larger ones at first and sell the modems and hard drives seperate because they were having issues with the tech.

Message 10 of 10 (9,988 Views)
0 Likes