Feb 26 2012
By: jonboy_jlf_2004 Lombax Warrior 88 posts

Vita uncomfortable to hold

11 replies 5694 views Edited Feb 26, 2012

I absoultely love my Vita, but I've yet to find a comfortable way to hold the thing. I can play for a half hour with no issues, but if I get over an hour my hands start cramping. I even tried the official trigger grips but they online made things worse because they aren't long enough.

My hands seem to be pretty average in size. I'm 5'10 and pretty light weight.

Anyone else having this issue?

Yes I realize this is incredibly nerdy, but how exactly are you guys gripping the thing? I've tried the following....

-Option 1: Middle finger barely touching the rear groove

-Option 2: Middle fingertip and ring fingertip touching the rear groove

-Option 3: All three fingers on the rear groove

-Option 4: Middle finger lined up entirely on the rear groove, pointing downward

Message 1 of 12 (5,694 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
142 posts

Re: Vita uncomfortable to hold

Feb 26, 2012

Try this method: Hold your fingers out like you are making fake pistols. Rest the Vita on your middle fingers. I position the Vita forward to allow my index trigger finger to be nearly straight, just curving the tip for trigger action.

Position how it feels comfortable for the game you are playing. Hope this helps as I'm about your size and I play the vita for sessions up to 8 hours at a time without any cramping or fatigue.

Message 2 of 12 (5,694 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 27, 2012

I found my Vita a little uncomfortable to hold as well. If you can afford it try the Trigger Grip accessory, picked it up and can not tell you how much more comfortable the Vita is now.

Message 3 of 12 (5,694 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
250 posts

Feb 27, 2012

Index fingers on triggers, thumbs on thumbsticks/face buttons and rest of fingers sloping downward on back...if its too uncomfortable i would suggest investing in some Grips, they go for $9.99-$19.99, they have some longer and some shorter if you get the cheaper ones maybe.

Message 4 of 12 (5,694 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
707 posts

Feb 27, 2012

the vita is very comfortable

Message 5 of 12 (5,694 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Feb 27, 2012

Spread pointer on shoulder buttons, thumbs on face buttons / sticks, middle and ring finger extended across the back, pinkies at the bottom for weight support.

If I need the rear touch pad for whatever reason, like in Escape plan, I hold it with my left hand pointer at the top, thumb on the bottom, support from my other 3 fingers on the edge of the back, then use my right hand for the touch screen and pad.

Message 6 of 12 (5,694 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

Feb 27, 2012

Thanks for the responses guys. I bought the official trigger grip from Sony, but that made it worse.

Playing a game like Rayman or Lumines is fine. It's the dual analog games like Stardust and Uncharted that I start having trouble with.

I will take some of these suggestions and hopefully find a play style comfortable for me because I really dig the system. Could just be a matter of getting used to it anyway.

Message 7 of 12 (5,694 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 27, 2012

I've only been able to play Wipeout so far, but the Vita was definitely a little awkward to hold at first. I have small hands, so that might have something to do with it too.

Message 8 of 12 (5,694 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
842 posts

Feb 27, 2012

Try buying the Trigger Grip Accessory, i find it makes the vita extremely easy to hold- i cant play without it!

Message 9 of 12 (5,694 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Feb 27, 2012

I kinda do have to agree that it is a bit uncomfortable when playing the Vita. I say "kinda", because it really does not affect me that much, but the issue is still there. I tend to use a silicone case, which not only protects my Vita, but adds a little support when handling.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 10 of 12 (5,694 Views)
0 Likes