Survivor
2536 posts

Re: Vita outsells 3DS this week, thanks to Soul Sacrifice.

Mar 15, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

Maybe Sony is planning on announcing a Vita price drop this E3. This could help the Vita even better. What do you all think?

People had the same hopes and expectations for last E3 and you know what happened: Nothing. Sony stated that they didn't feel the price cut was necessary outside of Japan, so chances are a price cut won't come until the end of this year or the next even though last year they announced a price cut would come this year~.

Message 41 of 53 (78 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Re: Is Vita finally having a renaissance moment in Japan?

Mar 15, 2013

I agree with you, 3ds is ultimatley going to win with regards to competition (How can anyone seriously win against pokemon in japan!) But what I am specifically trying to analyse is whether sony, has just been able get back to the level of success the psp had. This was a level of commercial viability that sony saw was acceptable to remain in the portable game console market, so quite important when considering whether sony is to remain in this market long term. I think the recent success in japan from price drop and new games shows positive signals for Sony.

Message 42 of 53 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Mar 15, 2013
Well, my post wasn't in regards to the 3DS winning / losing. More along the lines that once certain key titles come out, it'll steal sales from the PSV. Aside from that I see SS as a burst kind of game but that it will wane over time, something that didn't happen with a system seller like MH3rd that kept on selling months after its release~.
Message 43 of 53 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Mar 15, 2013
If the question is: Would the PSVita/NGP actually sell if Sony managed to put together, say, Soul Sacrifice, PSO2 and a Persona title - and then push these along with the unique features of the console - while also switching out the idiotic "hook me on something and break me!" thumbsticks, and inserting a larger replacable lithium polymer battery, and an hdmi out, in the next psv-version...

If all of that, would it sell? If that's the question, then the answer is obviously yes.

The problem is that Sony won't do that. And by the time they might consider it, the sequel to Soul Sacrifice would probably already have been scrapped due to low sales. So there's that.
Message 44 of 53 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1977 posts

Mar 15, 2013

I already got a Vita, but it is good news. More sales = More games

Message 45 of 53 (96 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Mar 15, 2013
Isnt Soul Sacrifice following the same sales trend as the first Monster Hunter portable on psp? I think its ingenuous to expect it to sell similar to franchises whos popularity have reached saturation point and matured like persona and monster hunter, its a new ip and its a strong start! In terms of 3ds stealing Vita's current early sales momentum, I dont agree with you at all. I think they cater to totally different markets. They may inter-cross at times but 3ds is mostly aimed for children and ps vita is geared more towards teans and young adults. I think theres room for both, especially in a market where handhelds dominate like japan.
Message 46 of 53 (85 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Mar 15, 2013
where are you getting low sales figure from its one of the best selling new ips this year >.>
Message 47 of 53 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Mar 15, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
With America and Europe both selling less than 10k PSVs weekly, you have to be in as much denial as Sony to think a price cut isn't needed. People won't pay the price Sony has set for the system + memcard; it's a reality~.

I'm guessing you've never studied and/or operated a business before. Consumers respond more directly to sales than to price cuts. The problem with a price cut is that people will still wait for a sale, which is less likely to occur if the price is dropped across the board. During the holidays in the US, Vita bundles could be found at all retailers for $200 ($50 off) and sales skyrocketed during that time. But consumer behavior dictates that if the Vita actually received a price cut down to $200, the majority would still wait for a sale even if they would have bought it at $200 on sale originally. The problem with actually cutting the MSRP is that Sony's willingness to discount it further would lessen. The Vita is only a year old. If a price cut occurs, it'll probably coincide with the 2013 holiday season.

So no, I'm not in denial, I just understand that price cuts aren't necessarily long-term solutions. That being said, a price cut on memory would make sense because that not only affects Vita system purchase decisions, but also impacts current Vita owners, thus magnifying its impact.

JuanMdP wrote:
How the system does in Japan is relevant in terms of getting games since all North American / European consumers want to play JRPGs~.

"all North American / European consumers want to play JRPGs" .... wow, even as a hyperbole, that statement is way out there.

Message 48 of 53 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Mar 15, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
Aside from that I see SS as a burst kind of game but that it will wane over time, something that didn't happen with a system seller like MH3rd that kept on selling months after its release~.

Completely disagree there about it being a "burst kind of game". A game's longevity is often measured by its replayability, which is in this day and age (for better or for worse), is often related to DLC - or if you want to use a "nicer" term, ongoing developer support. It has already been stated that SS will receive periodic boss encounter DLC for FREE alongside paid "episodes" that expand on the story (the first free DLC is already coming next month). If the DLC comes frequent enough, it could keep the game fresh on everyone's minds (and more importantly a main stay on anyone's Vita), which could draw more people in over time.

Obviously it all depends on how good the game is...we don't yet have any US reviews, but reviews over in Japan have been great. Plus, don't diminish the impact of a highly renowned industry vet at the helm. Inafune is probably more popular in Japan, but he's still beloved here as well and many people will buy a game with his name on it just because.

Message 49 of 53 (65 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Mar 15, 2013

This is really go to hear.Smiley Wink

Play games to " RELAX "
Message 50 of 53 (62 Views)
0 Likes