Sep 03 2012
By: Flame-Eliwood First Son 18 posts

Vita Wallpaper Compression D:

[ Edited ]
25 replies 3349 views Edited Sep 3, 2012

Okay I hate to sound like that guy who just complains about certain things, but considering the boasting powers of the Vita, I find it a little hard to believe that the Vita would need to compress down images for the wall paper, when the PSP could actually do that just fine with absolutely no compressin in 100% full color?

I made this animation to show a transition between colors of my Vita background on how I would really like for it to work out right here,

PS Vita Wall Paper

While I'm aware that to some of you this might look silly (minus the fact that because it's a gif, the pallette kind of gets ruined) this is how the transition between images via slideshow looks like. but I don't understand why the Vita can't just do something like this instead of making it fade to black?  In case my point got lost,

Why can't the Vita display images for the lock screen and the livescreen area and perfect absolute lack of compression when it's more than obvious that the Photo Viewer can view it in full quality, and why does it fade to black for it's transition?  The slideshow doesn't fade to black, the photos fade into each other and I really think that this would look better overall if it did that on the livescreen area as well.

By the way, the original (non animated) images fit the PSVita resolution perfectly fine.

Edit:  I should add some additional infomation, this is just a simulation, but I thought I'd get around the compression and do something like this, http://imageshack.us/a/img140/5909/emberpsvitacompression.jpg and I figure, if it's already compressed, you don't need to recompress it right?  Wrong, if I pre-compress, it ends up looking worse, like this http://imageshack.us/a/img94/1743/emberpsvitacompression2.jpg

Message 1 of 26 (3,349 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
413 posts

Re: Vita Wallpaper Compression D:

Sep 3, 2012

Interesting. I'll tell you I just saved your picture (not sure if you personally created it so forgive my theft if so) to my Vita straight from your post and it looks fine....

Don't Forget to Play [Persona 4 Golden] Every Night Before Bed.
Message 2 of 26 (3,321 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 3, 2012

It might not be as noticeable because things are blurred but I thought it might be a better idea if I gave you the straight-up high quality versions.

http://flameeliwood.tumblr.com/post/30672441508/askemberanything-here-are-some-playstation

I made 10 different colors to mess around with on my Vita.  The most noticeable example would be the start screen that I made. (also I wouldn't mind if you used it on your Vita seeing as that's what I made them for.

a screencap

screen lock red

Here I just provided a picture as to what it looked like.

Message 3 of 26 (3,318 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Sep 3, 2012
pointless bumping
Message 4 of 26 (3,277 Views)
Sackboy
413 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 3, 2012

Ahh I see what you're saying now about the 'fade to black'. You're saying it'd be better if when flipping pages it would fade one image in to the other smoothly instead of going black before showing the next background. I've pondered this myself to be honest, and I agree that would be better than it is currently. You should post this idea on the ShareBlog and come back and give us a link to support you.

(oh and I gave your 'bump' an accidental Kudo)

Don't Forget to Play [Persona 4 Golden] Every Night Before Bed.
Message 5 of 26 (3,274 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Sep 3, 2012
I feel like this is something Sony could easily fix though. Add a settings in either photo or the settings app-thing to set up whether photos cross fade or not. That, and not having the artifacts of compression. The backgrounds should be in the highest of quality I don't understand why it's reduced.
Message 6 of 26 (3,248 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 3, 2012

I noticed that too, when a file is big enough, the Vita would compress the picture. Such as: 2012-09-03-190638.jpg

It may be hard to tell from here however.

Message 7 of 26 (3,245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Sep 3, 2012
That kind of looks like it's worse than what it would normally look like if you were viewing it on the computer or Photo Viewing app.
Message 8 of 26 (3,241 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

Sep 3, 2012

It is. You can probably see that it's clearer and that the lines look less jagged (can't post the original since it's larger than 6 MB)

Message 9 of 26 (3,237 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Sep 3, 2012
Why not take a screencap of it while you're viewing it in the photo app? It would show a major difference I would think
Message 10 of 26 (3,232 Views)
0 Likes