Jun 21 2014
By: infamous1000 First Son 10 posts

Vita: Great Device Doing Poorly! + Suggestions

[ Edited ]
6 replies 411 views Edited May 25, 2015

It's sad to think that the PS Vita is such a competent device, yet it is being mistreated by its creators at Sony. During the first unveiling in February 2013, NGP better known today as PS VIta was toadied as a portable console. PS VIta had a rocky launch date. The system was $250 and required a memory card that's still overpriced. $100/80 for a 32GB Vita memory card when 32GB SD cards are about $17 is outrageous. The launch games were okay at best. We had games like Uncharted: GA, Gravity Daze, Rayman Origins, etc. However, the price to play those games were unjustifiable (Vita + 4GB + 1 Game = $310). The 3DS and smart phones have better value and an array of different games offered no where else.

I dont expect Vita ouselling the 3DS, but Sony should at least compete in order to see a ROI. Here are a few things Sony can save the PlayStation Vita.

• Handhelds are Handhelds: if gamers want a console experience, they will buy a console. No one truly wants a portable console. Ask anyone if they own a Nvidia Shield. Quit porting console games and focus on mobile and handheld experiences because that's what the VIta  is made for. Handhelds are suppose to provide games that are addicting, quick and easy to control, have unique characteristics, tradable commodity elements (Pokemon or Animal Crossing), and overall be affordable.
  • Revive Older IPs: there some many PS1 classics games that deserve sequels or extensions. Games like
    Dragoon, Parappa, Jumping Flash, Tomba, the original Ape Escape games, and Syphon Filter are perfect games for the PS Vita, and they need to stay exclusively on Vita if made. 
  • Outsourcing 1st Part Games: if your 1st party studios are too busy developing PS4 games, I think the best option of handling 1st party games is to outsource them to companies like Ubisoft, Capcom, Sega, Namco, etc or accliamed indie studios. I think revisions of past and current games can introduce games to newer audiences and refreshes older gamers. Plus it builds a better relationship with developers and saves money.
  • Monthly Press Release Videos: the PS4 sold 7 millions units based on Internet hype and Nintendo Directs generates millions of views on YouTube. By creating a monthly show highlighting Vita games, you can bring excitement and attention to games that deserve better recognition. It's simple, just hire a YouTube personality to discuss Vita games and BAM!
  • Marketing the Right People: this last suggestion slightly touches upon the previous one. Sony thinks the 35 and older crowd wants handhelds. No! Some mature handheld games sell very well (GTA Stories or Monster Hunter), however, in reality the family to teen demo is whom you should be trying to sell your product. They are the most active handheld users, kids through teens. carry these products to schools, on buses, events, etc and other kids want one. This doesn't mean the PS Vita should have fluffy and cutesy games, but simple arcade-like games that anyone can enjoy. I don't need Call of Duty or Assassin Creed on my VIta when I have it running smoothly on my TV. PS: include a 3 month PlayStation Plus card in every Vita. That adds the value to VIta compared to the 3DS XL.

I want you hear from you guys. Let me know what you guys think of my list. If you agree share this post with your friends and the employees at Sony.

Message 1 of 7 (411 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1029 posts

Re: Vita: Great Device Doing Poorly! + Suggestions

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2014

@infamous1000 

Nice points. However, I personally think at this point Sony doesn't want to be in the handheld market anymore. And to me, honestly, who could blame them? Between Pokemon, Monster Hunter 4, Mario, and smartphones becoming so mainstream, their competitors don't have to work at all to get sales, but even if they work for sales they'll often still have difficulty getting them.

I really don't blame them for having issues with Vita at this point in time.

Sure, it's being mistreated some, but to be honest, even if they didn't would it be doing that well? Not to mention it failed horribly. Sure, you have exception cases like the Wii U, but Nintendo does nothing but games, their game PR is literally all they have. M$ would have axed a product like that AGES ago if it was flopping that badly.

I like Vita though, I hope a reason appears for them to turn it around.

Message 2 of 7 (403 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11776 posts

Jun 21, 2014

There are some nice ideas here, though you're off about some things. For one, the PlayStation Vita wasn't unveiled in 2013. The Vita first launched in February of 2012 in North America (December 2011 in Japan), so unless someone stole a time machine and rewrote history then that would sort of exclude the Vita from a whole 'nother year of being out there. Another thing to point out is that the the 3DS actually launched in the same pricing proximity as the Vita initially at $250. The Vita itself kept its pricing scheme from the PlayStation Portable that came before it too. Retaining the $250/$300+ "value" isn't really much of a savings when thinking about a portable gaming device. At that point you could have just bought yourself a PlayStation 3 or a Vita. Which way would you go? Buy a gaming console, using a controller on a television set, and have more than five years worth of a catalogue (at that point) to dive into... or buy the new Vita, add another hundred for the memory storage, and essentially lose a whole lot of money with there not being as many reasons to get one for yourself?

One of Sony's means of luring people to play Vita in another way has been cross-buy. Who doesn't love playing the same game at no further cost to you? But, this considered you'd actually have to still spend all that money on the hardware just to be able to add the game to have and hold in the grip of your hands. Instead of concentrating on ways to repeat ourselves, they should have been giving us new gaming experiences all this time. You don't have to target a single age bracket at all. It's possible you might think of terms of selling a game that someone the age of 15 or 23 would bite, but instead just make new games that just about anyone would engulf. Look at all the great movies throughout history. There are extremely fascinating must-see movies that have been rated for more mature audiences, but at the same time there are movies made that pull in massive audiences that you realize were just meant to be no matter who you are. Like a moth to the flame, Sony or whomever should have been making lots of stories for paying customers to go see. Not all games have to be movie-like naturally, but in this sense just make a slew of gaming properties that continue to entice paying customers willing to spend more money for a return to this theoretical theater that we'll keep seating ourselves in. If all you're doing is showing the same old tired flick over and over, what kind of audience are you trying to reach exactly?

Message 3 of 7 (373 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jun 21, 2014

Some ideas:

>Support/oblige the translation of japanese games into english whatever they are. Make them available to everyone (Some people said that there are a lot). It might be nice to buy them too even if they want to charge more money on it (even + 5 dollars if they want). I think people will buy.  Seriously Square Enix methods are ..... (Many Nintendo games are Japanese so what's wrong with that!! )

> Basic Rental of games (this is NOT playstation Now). You pay some fee (let's say 20 dollars/euros  per month for 5 games for example. Off course the sum of the cost have to be greater than that)

>Introduces integrated memory (8gb or 16gb) in the next PSVITA.  This allow the bundle with memory card to be way more cheaper AND the system will way FASTER. 

>Maybe allow the creation humble bundle to somehow regroup/sell and support indies games (this might be the first on console games). 

>Remove useless hardware (Back touch) and reduce the price or replace it with back keys if it is cheaper.

>People already said reduce the price of Memory card

>Basic bundle (the cheaper one) sold with some good  indie games or a number of that.

Message 4 of 7 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
141 posts

Jun 22, 2014

If Sony is trying to market this as a “handheld console experience”, then let us use it like we do our PS3/PS4 consoles, multiple accounts on the same system with access to the same content.

If Sony is trying to now market the Vita as an “add on” to the PS4, the same thing still applies. Multi gamer homes who use the same PS4/PS3 should also be able to use the same Vita by switching the account on the fly.

Allowing each memory card to have 2 or 3 accounts each should not be difficult, and for what Sony charges per memory card, they should be allowing it.

Make it happen Sony!

Link to the “multiple account on Vita” voting page on Sony Blog share below. Make sure you vote it up!

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2014/05/22/multiple-accounts-on-ps-vita/

Message 5 of 7 (312 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7124 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 22, 2014

I think your post  is well, but seem to  miss understand the  climate. Alot 1st party devs dont have the money..  vgames cost  20-60milion to  make now days... Some  of these aaa companies you name are worth only 100 mill or  250mill..putting up  30% of what you make or  is worth for  1 game. Is not  not smart buisness unless it s a seller.

True  gta5 did and rock star did it.  But you have to understand, rockstar games  is about  genere and making  root gameplay.   ALot devs dont have the  displine in their budget nor in their blood.Rockstar games is  a expecttion to the  rule. .. A hd remake should  beused to  treat long time  faithfuls  fans, not  used to  say heres a new game. I  argee we should have hd remakes but i dont think it should  treated as  a new game..

I dont  agree with demo's as much as everyone else, some are  better than  actual game to be honest. ,they are  not cost  effective and dont equal sales of the actual game, they  garner  more hate than sales...  Some will argue that which is fair. Look lets be  realisitic here, we  have  all downloaded many demos and never bought  said the game and have played more demo than games we have bought. I understand some would have  nevr bought the game unless they layed the demo of it.   I dont  care for a demos to be honest, If im a fan or exciteded i support with a real  paid copy, I do my research before i buy, .  but its  thing of the past in my opinion.  but  i think  one or two things are going to happen.

1.. you be paying to play the demo( renting) which i think is huge no for vgames and a new money grab. 2. demo's wil stop being made or be so  short , it almost  be like a force buy../I hope for the second way.

I think looking at  competition is always a  no-no in buisness and waste of  revenue In my personal  assestment view of original  products.. In sony case, original games and carving your own lane. In  ps vita case, in small its  not going to  beat  3dsxl copying..  If they do that., now you have ton of thing you dont need.. If  a gamers want that then  why not go buy a 3dsxxl.  Nothing beat the real  thing/ I  think  Ps vita  has carve it on lane not sit in  lane  arleady carved.

psvita is  doing well.. support is there,  games are coming, even  some popular pc favorites are coming to it.. I think the  main issue  is alot of long time popular devs dont have the money to  push games out. If look you around you, not alot of  AAA devs are making  original games..  I think  it  like this..

Telsa motor vs  M- benz.. now a Telsa is a dam good car it has alot  of  original features, a very good drive  some good support from telsa from  else where not so much.  Its real nice . but   vs a   Benz. people will just   get the benz it has reputation it been around longer. If you have the money, you go get you a M-Benz  Thats how  i see it,   that doesnt  mean telsa is bad , or lacking support.  I honest  think its better than alot cars out here  including a M-Benz. when you  look at the features telsa   is way more loaded for the money sent.. you can  get  a M-Benz for 28k$, 34 k with tax .. telsa moter car is 50K+ or more.

I have a  ps vita for the features  1st most.. sony  hand helds just have better features than 3ds. I think if they improved the camera  witha zoom to  some think like the  nex-6or 7..( i dont think  that cost effective to do llol) i just cant seem to find one of those cameras  Smiley Happy ..   I do  think ps vita is better head to head  vs  3ds gaming wise and other wise.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 6 of 7 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
16 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 22, 2014

I still think integrated memory is one way to go (at least 16gb). They may put partial/ total ban/brick if the owner use a custom firmware. It is an efficient method.  This also means no PS + (that was convincing enough for me to don't put any custom firmware on my ps3). This also allows to reduces the price of the bundle since the integrated memory is way cheaper, faster, energy efficient than the external. 

Sony have to create/improve small dedicated studios  that can improve the psvita. Existing studios are not reallly the top and not really periodic.  This seems to mean a serious lack of support there. 

For example, no new version of modnation racers (2011-2012). Good ideas (building its own circuit/karts and share it) but no real support, no next version. The main critics of this one seemed to be graphics, performance and multiplayer at the beginning.  This custom circuit is so much better than/diverse than the ones in Mario kart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl5ls__lIYs

They should have this instead of a terrible LBP at E3.

But no real advert and no future so far.  

A or AA  Games development doesn't cost so much.  from here. http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_game_costs

Ds games development cost 1.5 millions to the max. Games can be built a lesser cost than that.

Allow more bundle on the psn even with indie games

More Games, APPS advertisements at conferences. E3 was so lame concerning the PSVita.  PSVIta needed much more time (1/4). Adverts more about the number of games (PSX, PSP, PS2 ports and PSVITA existing and oncoming, past, present, future). People posesses a short memory about the retrocompatibility and PS2 performance. FFX is great for newcomers. 

Make everything to bring a GTA, a Resident Evil on PSVita and assure that GTA 5 is compatible with Remote play (very important). 

Well this will be hard against the already good performance of 3DS (5-6 times the Psvita).  Some people didn't even make the transition from psp to psvita because of a lot of fails (retro ports, expensive memory cards and so one)

At least if any of this doesn't work gives us a way to Remote play with PC.

Message 7 of 7 (283 Views)