Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/22/2012
Offline
1532 posts
 

Re: Vita Games Reviews Thread

Sep 1, 2012

macy113 wrote:

Can you review Gravity Rush and Sound Shapes?


I will put that on my request list, as soon as I finish with this evening list, I will work on them :smileyhappy:

I love Adam Levine
"One more ******* Love song and I well be sick......"
Message 21 of 86 (1,681 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/22/2012
Offline
1532 posts
 

Re: Vita Games Reviews Thread

Sep 1, 2012

PapaWarlock wrote:

macy113 wrote:

Can you review Gravity Rush and Sound Shapes?


Unfortunately I don't have either game :smileysad:


Need you not worry my great MVP friend, I have every possible game to make my review with :smileyhappy:

I love Adam Levine
"One more ******* Love song and I well be sick......"
Message 22 of 86 (1,681 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/22/2012
Offline
1532 posts
 

Re: Vita Games Reviews Thread

Sep 1, 2012

fairytailced wrote:
Unit 13 should have got better score but everything is superb keep it up

Thank for the feedback, Unit 13 COULD get better score, if it has Online Player Versus Player :smileyhappy:

I love Adam Levine
"One more ******* Love song and I well be sick......"
Message 23 of 86 (1,680 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 03/18/2012
Offline
340 posts
 

Re: Vita Games Reviews Thread

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2012

macy113 wrote:

Can you review Gravity Rush and Sound Shapes?


I can :smileyhappy: I'll post my review of Gravity Rush and Sound Shapes from my blog and from uspgc here.

 

@KAZ: On the Mortal Kombat review I looked at the first screenshot and actually thought that it was a Vita screen and it looked great. Then I found out that it was a PS3 screenshot lol.

Photobucket
psvitaheaven.wordpress.com

Message 24 of 86 (1,671 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 03/18/2012
Offline
340 posts
 

Re: Vita Games Reviews Thread

Sep 1, 2012

Gravity Rush Review by XTurmoilZz from psvitaheaven.wordpress.com

 

 

Gravity Rush lives up to the hype.

 

Story


In Gravity Rush you play as a girl named Kat who wakes up in a city that floats in the sky. She has no memories about her past and doesn’t even remember her own name. Kat meets a strange cat that she names Dusty. With the help of Dusty, Kat quickly discovers that she can control gravity to push her in any direction she pleases. She uses her powers to help the people of the city that she wakes up in. The city is also being attacked by monsters called Nevi. The story is told in comic-book scenes. These scenes look great and look just like any comic book that you would read. However there are some regular cutscenes in the game that also look nice. The story starts out slow but gets more interesting as you progress. As you go on you will have more and more questions about the city, Kat, and Kat’s mysterious powers. Unfortunately the game ends before answering most of your questions and at the end I was disappointed because of the large amount of questions I had and none of them were answered. The ending felt rushed and was unfulfilling. However the characters are well-developed and are likable.

 

 

Gameplay


In Gravity Rush you can control gravity to cause Kat to “fall” in any direction. By using Gravity you can go wherever you want and even walk up the sides of buildings and explore underneath the big floating city. The city is huge and there are tons of places to explore. Actually the most enjoyable part of Gravity Rush is simply floating around and exploring. The controls are actually pretty good but controlling gravity does take practice. When I first started playing, I had a lot of trouble controlling gravity. After some exploring for gems and flying around I mastered the controls and found controlling gravity to be easy and tons of fun. There are short cuts you can take but I usually skipped these and took the long way by flying towards the objective because controlling gravity is so much fun. In Gravity Rush you will have to fight Nevi often during missions. You have several attacks that you use to fight Nevi. You can perform standard kicks while on the ground. In the air you can use gravity kick which sends Kat flying towards an enemy and hit them with a powerful kick. Kat can also pick up heavy objects by using gravity and throw them at enemies. There are also three different special moves to use that are very powerful. One attack will launch large rocks at enemies and another will create a black hole that damages enemies close by. You can power these attacks up by collecting and spending gems that are scattered all around the city. These gems can also be used to increase Kats health and other stats.

 

 

While Kat is powerful the enemies prove to be a major problem for her in the game. There are some frustrating battles in this game. You may be going for a gravity kick when suddenly without any warning the Nevi launches projectiles at you and you take major damage. Also at points you have to face a ton of enemies at the same time and you will get hit with homing projectiles from all directions and some seem to be unavoidable. The enemies’ attacks are usually very annoying and many enemies seem to rarely miss. You can swipe the screen to dodge attacks but this doesn’t seem to help often. There are also many boss battles in this game and surprisingly these are the most enjoyable battles. Taking on a boss is less frustrating than taking on tons of enemies at the same time. However, all battles are not frustrating and many are enjoyable. There are side missions and challenge missions.  In challenge missions you may have to use gravity slide (a move that sends Kat sliding on the ground very fast) to race to the finish as fast as possible or defeat as many enemies as you can in the time limit. You can earn gems for getting high scores in these challenge missions and there are scoreboards. The combat may not be lots of fun but there are other missions that don’t involve lots of fighting and like I said  before, the most enjoyable part of this game is flying wherever you want and exploring.

 

 

Sound/Graphics


The artstyle in Gravity Rush is great. The graphics are amazing. All of the cutscenes look great and the sound is also good. The soundtrack features songs that go well with the game.  Gravity Rush is one of the best-looking portable games I have ever seen.

 

Lasting Appeal


Gravity Rush will take you about 10 to 15 hours to complete depending on how many side missions and challenge missions you do. However you can still take on these missions after you complete the game. Also there are tons and tons of areas to explore. I’ll say it again, its surprising how fun controlling gravity and exploring is. There are also 3 hidden bosses to fight.

 

Closing Comments
Gravity Rush is a great game. The story is interesting but disappointing and the combat is frustrating at times but overall this game is tons of fun. Controlling gravity is extremely fun and you can explore anywhere you want. Gravity Rush is one of the best games on Vita and all Vita users should give it a try.

 

What I liked

  • Controlling gravity is very enjoyable
  • Likable characters
  • Huge world to explore
  • Amazing graphics
  • The story is interesting

 

What I hated

  • Sometimes frustrating combat
  • Unfulfilling and disappointing story

 

Scores:

  • Story: 7.5/10
  • Gameplay: 9.5/10
  • Sound/Graphics: 10/10
  • Lasting Appeal: 8/10

 

Overall Score: 9/10

 

 

 


Photobucket
psvitaheaven.wordpress.com

Message 25 of 86 (1,667 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 03/18/2012
Offline
340 posts
 

Re: Vita Games Reviews Thread

Sep 1, 2012

Sound Shapes Review also by XTurmoilZz

 

 

 

Sound Shapes is brilliant. This is one game that you just have to love.

 

Gameplay
At first Sound Shapes may look like a simple platformer. You play as a blob that can jump and stick to certain objects. By pressing square or R you can roll up into a ball to move faster and jump farther. The blob’s only goal is to reach the end of the level. However after you play it for a short amount of time you will discover that this game is about creating music. Collecting coins will build the beat by enabling more notes to sound off. Every obstacle and enemy is also part of the music by making sounds on track with the beat. Because of this noticing patterns in the beat is a good strategy to use to dodge dangerous obstacles. What are dangerous obstacles in this game? Anything red is dangerous. The game simply describes red objects as bad and touching anything that is red will destroy you.

 

 

Sound Shapes has a campaign mode. The campaign has five worlds that are called albums. Each Album features music from different artists and different designers. There are artists like Beck, DeadMau5, and Jim Guthrie. There are designers like Superbrothers and Pyramid Attack. You may think that Sound Shapes isn’t that hard when you play through the campaign mode. However the real challenge starts when you complete the campaign and unlock two new modes: Beat School and Death Mode. In Beat School you will hear a rhythm and you must recreate this rhythm in the level editor. (you will not be listening to the rhythm while your trying to recreate it of course) Beat School is a great idea and it is very fun to play. Death Mode is challenging and in it you must complete missions such as collecting a certain amount of coins within the time limit. Death Mode is hard but it is not frustrating. Both of these modes are fun and addicting and completing a level in these modes will give you a silver trophy. Complete all of the levels in both of these modes and you will earn a shiny platinum trophy. Sound Shapes also has a level editor that allows you to create and share levels with players everywhere. The level editor is easy to use and has many great tools for you to use.

 

 

Sound/Graphics
The graphics in Sound Shapes aren’t anything amazing but they are good and look great on the Vita’s large OLED screen. However the sound in this game is what stands out. The music is great and its amazing to see how creative the developers, Queasy Games, were when you see and hear enemies and objects that are part of the beat. This games music is great and while playing I was nodding my head to rhythm and sometimes even tapping my foot. I strongly recommend that you put on headphones regardless whether your playing on PS3 or PS Vita.

 

 

Lasting Appeal 
The campaign in Sound Shapes is pretty short and can be completed in  a few hours. However the other modes: Beat School and Death Mode can keep you entertained for a while. They are very addicting. Also there are countless levels for you to play because you can play any level that another player has created and shared. Because the level editor is simple to use, there are already many great levels that the community has published. Also if you have ever wanted to create your own piece of music this is definitely the game to create it in. Creating your own levels and playing others will keep you entertained for a long time.

 

 

Closing Comments
Sound Shapes was a brilliant idea. The levels are creative and fun and the music is great. It also always you to create and share your own levels and play levels that other players created. Trophy hunters will definitely be kept busy while trying to complete Beat Mode and Death Mode for the platinum trophy. The price is also great. Its only $15 (or $12 for PS Plus users) and buying this game on one system will get you the game for free on the other one. This is one game that you just have to love.

 

What I liked

  • Fantastic music
  • Very creative levels
  • Easy to use level editor
  • Ability to share your levels and play others

 

What I hated

  • Short campaign
  • Issues with syncing data on the PS3

Scores:

  • Gameplay: 9/10
  • Sound/Graphics: 9.5/10
  • Lasting Appeal: 9.5/10

Overall Score: 9.5/10

Photobucket
psvitaheaven.wordpress.com

Message 26 of 86 (1,663 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/22/2012
Offline
1532 posts
 

Re: Vita Games Reviews Thread

Sep 1, 2012

@Turmoil: Thank for your help, less work for me :smileyhappy: I notice you also have a Disgaea 3 review, would you mind post that here too? :smileyhappy:

I love Adam Levine
"One more ******* Love song and I well be sick......"
Message 27 of 86 (1,661 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/22/2012
Offline
1532 posts
 

Re: Vita Games Reviews Thread

Sep 1, 2012

Sorry for taking to long, the reviews I've made for this evening have been corrupted, so in a mean time while we wait, here's Dungeon Hunter Alliance Reviews, sorry for the inconvenience.

 

Dungeon Hunter Alliance Review

 

What is Dungeon Hunter Alliance ?

It's a Diablo-esque Dungeon Explorer Top Down Action RPG game from Gameloft, published by Ubisoft, the same company that give us the Masterpiece Rayman Origins. Sequel to the first 2 Dungeon Hunter game for the IOS and Android devices.

 

While it may sound as a good game that you can play on the go, it's may not be one of the best game ever. In fact, it's just average or mediocre, recieved mix and negative critic reviews and rating and is a port of the same Dungeon Hunter Alliance games for the PS3 which only COST 12.99$.

 

1

 

So what this game can offer us, and why is it so bad. Let's find out:

 

Graphic, Sound and Effects: 5/10

For a game that was meant for the IOS, this game graphic may not look half-bad, as it's smooth and there is no sign of texture drop at all.

 

However, if you're one of the Graphic-horde, you may not love this game, as the graphic and effect are not Console-Like Quality, even on the PS3 version. In fact it look the same as the IOS version of the first Dungeon Hunter game, graphic has not evolve since. There are hardly any well-design character,background look plain and lifeless, Town areas are just a bunch of house and a handful of people standing outside waiting to talk to you, Most map or dungeon you encounter on your quest don't offer much hype and depth in them. The HUD look overall not favorable.

 

1

See what I mean

 

Which bring us to another problem. There are plentiful enemies regularly surround and attack the hero, but it's easy to lose track of them. While the player shows up as a blue outline behind 3D objects like arches and trees, enemies don't. Thus, when a swarm of wolves chase you behind a tree, you're swinging blind.

 

Also the game also have Frame Rate problem and always slow down when there is a lot of thing happen on the screen all at one. As you can see, if you fight in a room full of Zombies, you will soon to notice the game slow down like it was having LAGS, but really it isn't, the frame rate is just THAT BAD.

 

DungeonHunterAlliance.png

 

2

 

But boy, Effect and Lighting effect are IMPRESSIVE. While everything is just seem like fall out of grace, these two are what left to make this game not look like a Cluster Crap of Clunky Graphics and Background. Fiery sparking, Wind Blowing, The Trail of Fire from the Attack, the light from the sun lighting up dark places, Blood particle are well done.

 

DungeonHunterAlliance3.jpg

 

Sound on the other hand, aside from the sound of skill, your attack, and creature dying, using potion and completing quest. The rest is like watching a Charlie Chapin Movie, Silent is Gold, there are NO Spoken Lines or Voice Acting, every thing is just TEXT, TEXT and TEXT.

 

Gameplay: 7/10

Like many Dungeon Crawler game, you will have to create your character and embark on lots of quest, leveling up and looting gear. You can choose from a Warrior ( Tanker), Mage ( Magical DPS), and Rouge ( Range and Melee DPS). Each character have a handful of skill and pros, cons, fitting for every fighting situation.

 

You will have a Max level cap of 75. Upon leveling up, you will gain 2 attribute point to invest on your attribute, which will affect your attack power, your ability to wield or equip some weapon. You can freely design to put your point where you like, as such, you can pump some extra point on Strength so that your Mages can wear an Armor. Also you will gain 1 Skill point to invest in your skill. Each characters have their own skill list, you can Max all of the skill by level 50, so just pump your point randomly as there is no build or mistake in putting skill point this game.

 

4

 

Skill can be use with the Square, Triangle and Circle button. X is your attack button and most of the game, you just have to MASH that button, throw in some random skill, drink potion with L and R button and blow through group of Mobs and Mobs. It's repetitive and may turn out boring later on.

 

Enemies drop Loots, which can be gold, item for crafting, or Equipment. The Inventory layout is helpful, you can control and organize your inventory with the touchscreen. There is an auto-equip fuction with optimize your gear, auto-transmute, which turn useless crap into gold. Gold are your backbone, they will help you buying and stacking item for future fight and battle.

 

3

Wait, is this PapaWarlock's Warrior?

 

The town system feature Merchant that sell item, Blacksmith that repair your gear, make you new item or sell you some. Certain RPG element like Gem Socketing, Enchant, Crafting, Alchemy are also included, giving you full RPG experience :smileyhappy:

 

There are Fairies Companion that can be control with the rear touchpad or the right stick. They can pick up item, show you hidden places, quest, use Skill to help you. The skill called Fairy Magic, will deal AOE damage around you and kill anything except for Boss. These Fairies are not Tinkerbell, but surely not as annoying as that one from Zelda.

 

Gyro is also support, you can shake your Vita to escape Stun Effect.

 

Upon hitting level 25, you will unlock a Pit of Survival, which is an endless, ever changing map, which you will fight enemies that is the same at your level, dropping high level gear and good item

 

5

 

Side Quest can be pick up as you run through the game, and can be done as the same time as the Main Quest, I estimate 8 hour is needed to do them all.

 

Like I said before, dropping of frame rate and slowing down will make fight more difficult, but the game is just easy, enemies and boss don't take a sweat to kill

 

The game also support Online or Local Multiplayer up to 4 player and can be fun :smileyhappy:

 

6

 

Story: 5/10

There is a story, a nice fantasy one it is, but the game doesn't offer much voice acting or cutscene, just some random text, so most people skip the story. It's so boring and short anyway, unless you're really want to sit through 10 hour of text, be my guess :smileyhappy:

 

7

Honestly the Skip Button is always helpful

 

The Down-side:

The Story, the Graphic, the clunky and hard Gameplay, the fact that it cost 40$ as full retail and doesn't offer the same level of fun game that prices has to offer is way too much

 

Overall Score: 5/10 Mediorce

For one I agree with IGN, this game doesn't pack much fun and worth 40$, unless you want to spend your day hidden in your room, playing Online 4 man quest with your friend and leveling up, looting up without the need to waste your life on the computer playing Diablo 3, then you should get this game, but wait for a price drop or get the PS3 version, which is cheaper, but lack some exclusive Vita features.

 

Bonus Section:

As always, download this wallpaper:

 

 review-dungeon-hunter-alliance.jpg

 

 

 

I love Adam Levine
"One more ******* Love song and I well be sick......"
Message 28 of 86 (1,656 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/22/2012
Offline
1532 posts
 

Re: Vita Games Reviews Thread

Sep 1, 2012
Thank xTurmoilZz for his support, if anyone have a game that need review, they can always seek for either him or me. Thank You :smileyhappy:
I love Adam Levine
"One more ******* Love song and I well be sick......"
Message 29 of 86 (1,655 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 03/18/2012
Offline
340 posts
 

Re: Vita Games Reviews Thread

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2012

Disgaea 3 Absence of Detention Review by xTurmoilZz

 

 

When you first start up Disgaea 3 Absence of Detention the game tells you to dim the lights and sacrifice as much sleep as humanly possible. Afterwards it will tell that it was just kidding but you actually might find yourself losing sleep because this is one game that you just won’t want to put down.

 

Story
Disgaea 3 is based at a school in the Netherworld called Evil Academy where demon students attend. Here students who break rules, skip school, and never treat others with respect are honor students. Delinquents are students who do good deeds and are on time for all of their classes. You will play as an honor student named Mao. He is the son of the Overlord but he actually wants to overthrow his dad. Why? Because the Overload stepped on and destroyed Mao’s SlayStation Portable causing him to lose millions of hours of savedata. Yes the story is pretty silly. You might actually burst out laughing at certain points in the game. However the story actually gets interesting and you will love the characters. Also I hope you enjoy cutscenes with a lot of dialogue because this game has some pretty long dialogue scenes in it. They are long and they are also enjoyable.

 


I would be pretty mad too if someone crushed my games

 

Gameplay
Disgaea 3 is an srpg similar to games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. It does have the basic features of srpg’s like different classes of characters such as warriors, mages, ect… You level up units and teach them new special moves and magics. On your turn you move your units, attack, defend, use magic, and other commands. However Disgaea 3 is more complex than your average srpg. One of the simpler tactics in this game is if you have units standing next to each other you can perform a team attack. Yes its that simple. You can have up to 4 characters perform these team attacks but notice that units will not always use team attacks when they are standing next to each other. Most of the time you will get only a two man team attack even when you more units than just two standing next to each other. You can also lift and throw objects, allies and enemies. Throwing allies is good for reaching places that you could not reach before. One of the more complex tactics of Disgaea 3 is the dungeon itself. There are always colored tiles and blocks on the ground called geo symbols that cause many different effects like 50% damage increase or decrease and even effects like invincibility. Throwing enemies off of or on to different geo symbols can give you an advantage. One of the major keys to succeeding in this game is using strategy. Your tactics are up to you: Do you try to position your forces on positive geo symbols? Throw enemies onto negative symbols? Try to destroy all the symbols for bonus loot and cash?

 


Examples of geo symbols. As you can see, yellow blocks strengthen allies

 

The complexity of this game is not just in fighting though. You can also attend homeroom. Homeroom has many important purposes. Here, you can assign characters to certain seats to increase their chances of helping each other with team attacks. You can place students in clubs, which can bring some advantages in battle. And you can put forth “topics” for class representatives to vote on. These include things like creating a new character, replacing shop stock with higher quality, more expensive gear, and much more. However the class reps may reject your topic and prevent you from getting the benefit of the topic. Before the vote you can try bribing them with some items to increase your chances of the topic being passed but they may still reject it. So what do you if they reject a topic? Send them a well thought out letter explaining why they should pass your topic… Just kidding. Actually you have the option of beating the sh*t out of them and forcing them to agree with you. Disgaea 3 also features an item world. This is a level grinder’s heaven. You use an item to create an endless amount of random dungeons. The higher level of item you use to generate the dungeons the stronger enemies there are. You can’t leave the item world until you get passed 10 floors of enemies. The item world is great for leveling up and finding treasure.
 

 

Sound/Graphics
Disgaea 3 looks great on the Vita’s screen. It actually looks much better than the PS3 version did. The graphics aren’t amazing but they are pretty good. This game also features some great anime character design. However the soundtrack could be better. Its actually not very good.


Lasting Appeal
Disgaea 3 has many, many dungeons for you. The item world features endless random dungeons. Also you can reach the max level of 9999. Just watching the crazy moves the characters use is entertaining and you can deal far more than just 9999 damage. If your a level grinder, I have no doubt that you will love this game. This game also has all of the DLC from the PS3 version and new story quests and bosses. You can also view your friends’ stats and rankings.



You can deal much more damage than this…

 

Closing Comments
Disgaea 3 Absence of Detention is a great game for the Vita. Disgaea and srpg game fans will love this game. If your looking for an extremely long game, I definitely recommend this one.

 

What I Liked

  • Very long
  • Entertaining story and likable characters
  • Great tactical gameplay

 

What I hated

  • Sometimes annoying camera

 

Scores:

  • Story Score: 8/10
  • Gameplay score: 9/10
  • Sound/graphics score: 7.5/10
  • Lasting Appeal Score: 10/10

 

Overall Score: 9/10


Photobucket
psvitaheaven.wordpress.com

Message 30 of 86 (1,655 Views)