Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hekseville Citizen
243 posts

Re: Virtual Reality Headsets (Oculus Rift) will be a bigger phenomenon than Wii Sports ever was

May 6, 2013

150$ for a peripheral is far from mainstream pricing...i'd say more get it down to 74.99$ then we can talk about it.

PlayStation 4
Playstation 3
3DSXL Cosmo Black
Vita 2000 (Slim) Black Borderlands 2 bundle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g
Owner of LiquidEvilGaming Youtube channel
@LiquidEvilGames Twitter
Message 11 of 22 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9902 posts

Re: Virtual Reality Headsets (Oculus Rift) will be a bigger phenomenon than Wii Sports ever was

May 7, 2013
Interesting though how people go all out on something like an HDTV but when it comes to any sort of peripheral, they want it to be cheap. If they went the cheap $74.99 novelty route, I probably wouldn't be interested. Especially if it limits me to crappy console audio which I finally broke away from.
Message 12 of 22 (225 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15650 posts

May 7, 2013

psxsage wrote:

150$ for a peripheral is far from mainstream pricing...i'd say more get it down to 74.99$ then we can talk about it.

Yea, good luck with that.

Prices won't come down for gagdets unless they are FLYING off the shelves.... The Rift, likely will as the hype is still rising and likely to be even higher once it becomes ready for production with an actual release date

personal media viewers like the MyVu, are novelty items, and as such, are priced as novelty items.... expensive for most, but whoever wants one is going to pay the price of admission

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 13 of 22 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
476 posts

May 7, 2013
Kinect managed to sell very well despite the $150 price tag and VR/Oculus Rift is a true game changer, much more so than Kinect.

For a real virtual reality headset even at $299, the thing would sell like crazy if they get demo booths set up for it at the BestBuy and Gamestops of the world.

So so so so many people who were naysayers about the impact of VR, me included, were absolutely floored and blown away the first time they demoed the Oculus Rift. So a Sony made VR headset designed for PS4 once demo booths are set up will drop quite a few jaws and get more word of mouth than the Wii managed in 2007.

The tech is finally here, so VR is really no brainer at this point. Whoever creates a mass market easy to use well specced one first stands to reap the rewards.
Message 14 of 22 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7966 posts

May 7, 2013

Sorry but incase you missed it the Wii's novelty wore off fairly quickly after Sony and Microsoft did similar things with the Kinect and Move.
Wii was in first while it was a novel concept but now both the wii and wiiU are behind the other two in sales.

The Oculus Rift while very cool is going to go the way of 3D TV. While it's a really awesome concept the fact that it's expensive, bulky, and limits what else you can do while playing a game. Even the cheaper Vuzix glasses aren't really that popular.

Now I can see an arcade type place using this type of hardware for certain things. Even a laser tag arena with booths set up wearing something like this for 10-20 minutes and shooting your way through the old west, alien landscapes, or a warzone.

But playing WoW or Call of Duty with that chunky headset...I won't be able to eat cheetos or sip my preferred energy drink without making an even bigger mess than I already do.

I see this as a novelty item and it won't be any more popular in a few years than the Wii, Kinect, or any other innovative gaming accessory.  Once the AHH wow factor of it being new wears off it will just be another so-so electronic device that didn't really go anywhere.

Don't get it twisted I think the concept is very cool and might be able to find a place in the grand scheme of things but we won't all be wearing these while playing games at home. It's too much work to use and any type of virtual reality takes up a lot of space.
Couple the Rift with somethnig like the Virtusphere and you open up all sorts of arcade/amusement type things but it's too big and too expensive to do at home.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 15 of 22 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
476 posts

[ Edited ]
May 7, 2013

rsteele, I used to feel the exact same way that you did. But then, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to try it and now I'm a beliver.

The brain is a tricky thing, you can put in front of it the most stunningly gorgeous and realistic imagery you can come up with, but as long as it's on a screen, your brain won't pay that much attention to it.

But the second you take that same scene and put it so that encompasses your entire vision, your brain makes you think you were literally teleported over to another world unlike anything you've ever seen before. All those beautifully rendered leaves, lighting and shadows come to life.

When you put on those glasses, its like you go from just sitting back and admiring the graphics to actually feeling like you're Nathan Drake, exploring a beautiful world unlike anything you've ever seen before. It pulls you into the games atmosphere.

And it doens't need to just be limited to gaming worlds. Imagine being transported to the middle of Paris, or the Grand Canyon, or the surface of pluto, the perspective of a white blood cell floating throught the blood stream or being sucked into a blackhole and watching the entire universe around you age and die within moments as you do so, that's how it feels, even more so if you integrate 3D surround sound and either motion controls with vibration feedback or better yet haptic feedback into the mix. And that's the kind of thing that appeals to everyone, not just gamers.

If you're thinking about VR as something to use to play Call of Duty, lazer tag and other twitch shooters, you're missing the point. While those games will still be cool with VR, what's exciting about VR are the possibilities it opens up. Open world games, horror games, even games like Platformers, take on a whole another dimension.

I wouldn't have said any of this if you asked me three months ago, but now that I had a chance to try it, I'm a believer. And I think you will be too if you seek out an opportunity to try this experience out for your self.

Message 16 of 22 (197 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7966 posts

[ Edited ]
May 7, 2013

I get it I mean I really do. The thing you have to realize is gamers are very fickle. They only want to play on their console or PC of choice, their game of choice, ect.

It's extremely difficult to take something like a VR headset and adapt that to play the games when they've been playing the same way for so long.

I understand and completely agree something like this in a museum or arcade (or even a movie theater type setting) environment will do well because you can charge a nice fee for minutes/hours. However when you take it and put it in the home setting it starts to get wonky. First off think about how many new games you can buy with $300. (5 to 10 depending on what types of games you like to play)

Then start thinking about the average age of anyone that would be able to afford that and what else they are spending money on.

The price point is still too high, the tech isn't evolved enough to be easy to use in an at home setting. Gaming has changed over the last few years we're moving more and more towards something similar to VR but the rift won't be the final stage that gets into everyone's home.

I've experienced it and it was impressive, it's just too expensive and it's a novelty. Don't compare things to the Wii because that candle has already burned out and been improved upon. I'm all about new and great things but this isn't it, not yet anyway.

The industry couldn't even sell 3D well enough they won't sell this either.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Message 17 of 22 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

[ Edited ]
May 8, 2013

Oculus Rift isn't really just a PC device. They developers already clearified that it would be very easy to support the PS3 and they are looking into ways how to arrange support for all consoles.

The OR itself is surely mighty sweet toy and I'll pretty likely buy one, but I don't see it as a major platform for games in the future. It's an enhancement, an addition. Something that I will rather use than 3D Screens or Kinect. But for relaxed game sessions a plain screen will always remain my first choice.

Message 18 of 22 (179 Views)
Sackboy
476 posts

May 9, 2013
You might be right. VR will play a such an important role in gaming that I really hope Sony embraces it one way or another, either by leveraging their existing VR tech to make a VR headset designed for gaming, or by working with Oculus to ensure full compatibility with the PS4, move controllers and PS4 games.

When I think of a developer that truly understands the value of immerse, atmosphere, and sucking the gamer into a magical vast landscape of a gaming world that is rich and magnificant, the first name that comes to my min di Fumito Ueda.

Fumito Ueda (The creator of ICO/Shadow of Colassus and developer of The Last Guardian) just tweeted about the Oculus Rift!

上田文人 ‏@fumito_ueda 8m
Oculus Riftを体験。
想像してたよりだいぶ凄かった。

Translated:

Experience the Oculus Rift.
It was a lot more amazing than I had ever imagined.
Message 19 of 22 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
476 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013
Fumito Ueda (The creator of ICO/Shadow of Colassus and developer of The Last Guardian) just tweeted about the Oculus Rift!

上田文人 ‏@fumito_ueda 8m
Oculus Riftを体験。
想像してたよりだいぶ凄かった。

Translated:

Experience the Oculus Rift.
It was a lot more amazing than I had ever imagined.

UPDATE: Holy crap!!!

I need this game injected into my veins, stat! 

Holy crap! The wait for this is going to be tortourous!

Message 20 of 22 (143 Views)
0 Likes