May 06 2013
By: Wikiality Sackboy 478 posts

Virtual Reality Headsets (Oculus Rift) will be a bigger phenomenon than Wii Sports ever was

[ Edited ]
21 replies 345 views Edited May 6, 2013

Virtual Reality Headsets will be a bigger phenomenon than Wii Sports, Wii Fit or Kinect ever were. The Oculus Rift was featured on numerous talk shows and multiple youtube videos with 1million+ views. Sony/PS4 needs to be on the ground floor of this phenomenon, rahter than playing catchup like it did with motion controls and the kinect.

There is currently an enormous amount of attention being paid to the Oculus Rift (a consumer gaming VR headset for the PC due out next year). http://www.oculusvr.com/

Even though it’s an year away from release, it’s already been featured on numerous talk shows such as Jimmy Fallon and youtube videos that garnered over a million views each. 

"Rift could be the closest we've come to Star Trek's holodeck." - Gamespy

“...the effect of using the Oculus Rift as you play is mind-blowing." - G4TV

"...we found ourselves entirely absorbed; a gaming experience with a level of immersion genuinely unlike anything else we have ever encountered." – CVG

However, the Oculus Rift is for the PC, it’s not consumer friendly. The average person is going to disenchanted by having to mess around with drivers, patching their games to support it, getting, installing and setting up peripherals such as the Razer Hydra to make use of it as intended etc.

A virtual reality headset that is designed and integrated fully to work with the PS4, PS Move controllers and PS4 games, that doesn’t require you to fiddle around with drivers and software patches, a headset where the games are already designed to make use of the Playstation Move controller would be ridiculously successful. You just plug and play and the PS4 does the rest. This is a gaming phenomenon that will sweep the industry.

Virtual Reality allows for a level of immersion that people have never experienced before.

Everyone that has used the Oculus Rift have commented that they physically feel as if they have been transported to another world. They react to falling off a cliff in the VR reality world by screaming. 

Developers push graphics so hard to ever so slightly increase the level of immersion a player feels, graphics already look stunning, with the rift, developers could push players onto another whole level of immersion that the general public will eat up.

The movie Avatar was about a disabled person who through a neural link sees, hears, and feels everything that another creature feels. . We are not close to their yet, but the Virtual Reality headsets, combined with 3d surround sound, and move like controls that vibrate are a critical first step forward in technology helping someone feel as they are literally transported to another world. 

The promise the technology offers is enormous but the Oculus Rift won't be what brings this technology to the mainstream. The main stream casual audience has no patience for installing new drivers, software patches, buying and setting up properietary peripherals, they want to buy it, plug and play and have it all work seemlessly right out of the box.  A PC can never offer that, but the PS4 can.

Sony has already led the way with VR. Sony already a consumer VR headset geared for movie watching but that doesn’t work well for gaming. I hope Sony chooses to capitalize on this and lead the way in terms of VR headsets in gaming.

Alternatively, if Sony doesn’t want to develop it’s own gaming oriented VR headset built from the ground up for the PS4 + Move Controllers, I think Sony would still be well served to communicate and work with the Oculus Rift developers and build native compatibility for the Rift headset into PS4 hardware, Move controller and PS4 games.

I know this is a generic idea, one that in all likelihood sony engineers are already working on. I don’t seek nor expect any compensation for this input.

Message 1 of 22 (345 Views)
Sackboy
478 posts

Re: Virtual Reality Headsets (Oculus Rift) will be a bigger phenomenon than Wii Sports ever was

May 6, 2013
Im surprised there isnt more discussion about this idea.

I would think the idea of the PS4 launching alongside a Sony VR Gaming Headset + Move bundle would be enthralling.

Imagine how much more immersive Killzone, Knack and Infamous will be if they supported the headset at launch.
Message 2 of 22 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Re: Virtual Reality Headsets (Oculus Rift) will be a bigger phenomenon than Wii Sports ever was

May 6, 2013

I hear "virtual reality" and can't help but think of what a massive failure the vitual boy was.

VB

FAIL.

Message 3 of 22 (314 Views)
Sackboy
478 posts

May 6, 2013
Yes, because clearly technology hasn't progressed at all in the past 20 years.

17 years ago, when people heard open world game, they thought of Superman 64.
Message 4 of 22 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
478 posts

May 6, 2013
I understand the skepticism about Virtual Reality as a viable technology.

Do yourself a favor and either search google or youtube for "oculus rift" and then come back once youre better informed about where technology stands today.
Message 5 of 22 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
478 posts

May 6, 2013
Has anyone here been fortunate enough to try out Oculus Rift. Its mind blowing how immerse and captivating an experience it is.

You put on the headset and literally feel as if you are transported into a different world. The only downside is that it is a pain in the **bleep** to get up and running on the PC. So many different patches and drivers that need to be installed.
Message 6 of 22 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

May 6, 2013

GOW71 wrote:

I hear "virtual reality" and can't help but think of what a massive failure the vitual boy was.

VB

FAIL.

Oh GOD, just looking at this picture hurts my eyes.... SO MUCH RED!!!!

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 22 (280 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
244 posts

May 6, 2013
THe unrealistic pricing of VR headsets given the current technology it will most definitely NOT take off anytime soon. Once the pricing is able to be brought in line? Yeah most definitely.
PlayStation 4
i5/GTX1060 6GB/16GB Ram PC
Two Vita Slims
Xbox One S
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g
Owner of LiquidEvilGaming Youtube channel
@LiquidEvilGames Twitter
Message 8 of 22 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

May 6, 2013

I went to SXSW recently and they had a demos for this thing running Crysis, Skyrim and a few other games and this REALLY blew me away....

I spent about 2 hours playing with this thing and it felt very natural... you'd think something of that size and the tech behind it would make it heavy, but its feather-light.... I forgot I was wearing the thing. 

They also had a good audio headset to wear and the immersion was surreal at that point.

I really can't wait for this to release. I wouldn't mind paying $300 for this thing. Its really awesome.

They're NEARLY THERE with the overall functionality of the device, but some quirks do still need to be ironed out. Other than that, I REALLY look forward to this.

I kinda wish I put in for the Kickstarter had I known about it a little earlier.

Yes, its going to be an expensive peripheral to a PC or even console gaming.... but it doesn't have to end there. And im sure this thing will have a VERY LONG life span with newer, much improved models releasing as development and time moves on..... This may very well be a game changer in a few areas of industry.

I see this as a VERY SOLID application for use in CAD software

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 22 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

May 6, 2013

psxsage wrote:
THe unrealistic pricing of VR headsets given the current technology it will most definitely NOT take off anytime soon. Once the pricing is able to be brought in line? Yeah most definitely.

There have been plenty of similar devices to come out like personal media display's worn as normal sunglasses and they're pretty inexpensive at just $150 or so.

The Occulus Rift is nothing more than an expansion of that with 3D. This IS going to be a somewhat expensive toy, but when you've gotten the chance to play with it, one will see that the cost takes a backseat on the road of consideration

Furiously Chaosing
Message 10 of 22 (272 Views)
0 Likes