Nov 03 2012
By: tylerthegr8 Splicer 68 posts

Video players on ps3 web browser after 4.30

11 replies 12801 views Edited Nov 3, 2012

I cant find a single video player that works on the ps3 web browser after 4.30, it was bad enough before where there was only a a couple that worked but this is ridiculous

Message 1 of 12 (12,801 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Re: Video players on ps3 web browser after 4.30

[ Edited ]
Nov 3, 2012

Did you enable the "Do Not Display Again"option for the "Do you want to run the plugin?" prompt and then select "No" for the prompt? In which case, you permanently disabled all Adobe Flash plugins (for current XMB account), hence no video playback.

Luckily, I didn't fall into this trap, added by Firmware 4.30 (Flash adverts don't bother me) and all Flash video that previously worked is still working fine, such as YouTube.

If you did indeed fall into this trap, I would recommend using another XMB account to view Flash videos as I have seen several reports that using "Restore Default Settings" causes more serious issues, such as breaking games downloaded from PSN (is this still the case?). 

Message 2 of 12 (12,790 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Nov 3, 2012

yea apparently that was the problem, tried another account & it worked, thanks

Message 3 of 12 (12,782 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Nov 12, 2012

@ Tribble6

since updating to 4.31 from 4.25  the PS3 bookmarklet does not work. i get the screen but it is just white where the video should be. any tips on a fix  and i will be most thankfull. what is with the 240p cap on the standard you tube anyways. 

also does your plug in tip disable the repeated need to accept the plug for each video or site as in an automatic yes?

thanks for any help.

Message 4 of 12 (12,723 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Nov 12, 2012

FULDA562 wrote:

@ Tribble6

since updating to 4.31 from 4.25  the PS3 bookmarklet does not work. i get the screen but it is just white where the video should be. any tips on a fix  and i will be most thankfull. what is with the 240p cap on the standard you tube anyways. 

also does your plug in tip disable the repeated need to accept the plug for each video or site as in an automatic yes?

thanks for any help.

Hi FULDA562. When you get the "Do you want to run the plugin?" prompt, does it now also have the "Do Not Display Again"option? If so, you just need to enable option and choose "Yes" for prompt.

The reason you're getting a blank white space, when the bookmarklet replaces YouTube's video player, is due to a bug in Firmware 4.30; if the plugin prompt hasn't been disabled (you haven't yet enabled "Do Not Display Again"option) and you choose "Yes" for the prompt, only the first Flash pkugin on the page is allowed to run (in this instance YouTube's video player, but not JW Player, loaded by bookmarklet). I realised this was the case when I noticed only the first Flash advert on the BBC News site was running.

Message 5 of 12 (12,710 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Nov 13, 2012

@ Tribble6,

thanks for the quick reply . i now wish i had left my old fat at 4.25 as i only use it for browsing while my slim is for the games and netflix. i use the browser every day so youtube at only 240p is a big loss. i am not having much luck researching the bookmarklet problem with 4.30 and i did not find it as a reported problem or i would have left my fat at 4.25.

i am not sure about the plug in prompt. if i select do not display again and then click no i would disable all internet video on my current account with sony and would have to open a new account? what about apps like neflix and purchased psn stuff? however if i select do not display again and clik YES then what happens? does any youtube video play without the need to select yes for a plug in. what about sites that ask if i want to plug in? right now i am afraid to click yes and also then fearfull of a future non intended selection of no. 

again thanks for any info.

Message 6 of 12 (12,696 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 13, 2012

FULDA562 wrote:

@ Tribble6,

thanks for the quick reply . i now wish i had left my old fat at 4.25 as i only use it for browsing while my slim is for the games and netflix. i use the browser every day so youtube at only 240p is a big loss. i am not having much luck researching the bookmarklet problem with 4.30 and i did not find it as a reported problem or i would have left my fat at 4.25.

i am not sure about the plug in prompt. if i select do not display again and then click no i would disable all internet video on my current account with sony and would have to open a new account? what about apps like neflix and purchased psn stuff? however if i select do not display again and clik YES then what happens? does any youtube video play without the need to select yes for a plug in. what about sites that ask if i want to plug in? right now i am afraid to click yes and also then fearfull of a future non intended selection of no. 

again thanks for any info.

The vast majority of PS3 browser users (all 100 of us Smiley Wink) are going to want to enable the option and choose "Yes" for the plugin prompt as typically one selects "Yes" for the prompt anyway (because it's a video site (YouTube etc) or you aren't that bothered by Flash adverts), so enabling the option just saves having to repeatedly respond to prompt (plus avoid 4.30 pkugin bug we've encountered) and has no bearing on other apps, such as NetFlix.

The only good reason I can think of, where you would want to keep prompt (you don't enable option) is for a web site you've found that is unusable with pkugin's enabled (so you choose "No" for prompt), but requires JavaScript for dynamic elements, such as the ability to post a message. If JavaScript is not essential for site, such as for BBC News, then you can still drop prompt (you enable option) and turn off JavaScript (in browser's Tools menu) for specific site(s), which will typically also disable Flash plugin's (as a good deal are setup dynamically, using JavaScript). This is my setup, where I've been turning off JavaScript for BBC News for a while (prior to 4.30), to avoid PS3 crash. Also, you could permanently enable plugin's for main account and use separate account for tricky web site. 

Message 7 of 12 (12,690 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 13, 2012

creating another user account resolved this issue.... Too bad SONY did this in 4.31 upgrade!!.. When are they going to remove this option?..

Message 8 of 12 (12,679 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 15, 2012

Creating another user account was a good test for me ... but it turns out it didn't totally answer my question.

As I get ready to dump cable and access Flash-based content on the PS3 Web browser but was getting Flash errors at SouthParkStudios.com and at NBC.com. Even though I could watch videos on the YouTube Web site, I thought I may have dismissed the Flash plugin notice.

After creating a new user name and starting the Web browser, I did not get the Java plugin notice when opening to the PS3 homepage, did get the Flash plugin notice when going to NBC.com to watch a full episode, but STILL got a notice that Flash needed updated to watch the videos.

So, because the YouTube Web site works, and the PS3 main loading site works, I can assume that both my Flash and Java plugins are enabled, right?

Message 9 of 12 (12,646 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Nov 15, 2012

QwertyIUP wrote:

Creating another user account was a good test for me ... but it turns out it didn't totally answer my question.

As I get ready to dump cable and access Flash-based content on the PS3 Web browser but was getting Flash errors at SouthParkStudios.com and at NBC.com. Even though I could watch videos on the YouTube Web site, I thought I may have dismissed the Flash plugin notice.

After creating a new user name and starting the Web browser, I did not get the Java plugin notice when opening to the PS3 homepage, did get the Flash plugin notice when going to NBC.com to watch a full episode, but STILL got a notice that Flash needed updated to watch the videos.

So, because the YouTube Web site works, and the PS3 main loading site works, I can assume that both my Flash and Java plugins are enabled, right?

Some sites, such as NBC and BBC News require Adobe Flash version 10.x, so videos on these sites will never work in the PS3 browser, because it only comes with Flash version 9.x and this cannot be upgraded by users (I think it's safe to say that Sony will not be upgrading this either).

If YouTube videos are working (check out PS3 Bookmarklet for 480p+ video playback), plugin's (Flash) are enabled and you haven't manually disabled JavaScript, in the browser's Tools menu (also required to play most Flash videos because video player is setup dynamically, using JavaScript). JavaScript and Java are two different programming technologies and the PS3 browser will only ever support JavaScript (Minecraft (on a PC) is written in Java, so doesn't work in the PS3 browser).

Message 10 of 12 (12,642 Views)
0 Likes