Highlighted
Jan 28 2012
By: MuffynTop Lombax Warrior 107 posts

Very Excited but decided NOT to buy PSP Vita Heres Why.

25 replies 449 views Edited Jan 28, 2012

#1. No Gorilla Glass (seriously not even an oleophbic coating to reduce smudges)

#2. No HDMI Out (this was the deal breaker for me)

#3. Battery life (not replaceable battery) Lithion Ion checmically dgreades even under perfect care in 1 year 100% will only be 80% and goes down hill from that.

Overall I am really looking forward to the Vita Slim, when they switch to a 32nm or 22nm CPU die which will siginifcantly improve the battery life. Or at least add in Gorilla Glass 2.

Message 1 of 26 (449 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Re: Very Excited but decided NOT to buy PSP Vita Heres Why.

Jan 28, 2012

#1 Gorrila glass was made for the retarted girls who get their new smartphone from Daddy and don't know how to take care of it.

#2 I agree however I think it can do perfectly fine on its own for a handheld. Though I was HDMI deprived for many years

#3 Honestly I can deal with that 100%, infact I think it is expected and is nowhere near a deal breaker for me.

I'd say don't go buy it immedialty and who knows maybe 5-8 months down the road when some games actually come out for it Sony would have upgraded it to suitible standards.

I gots me uh sandwhich
Message 2 of 26 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Jan 28, 2012

1) Get a screen protector and don't scratch and damage the screen.

2) To me what you are saying is that you want a psvita to plug into your tv all the time. Get a ps3 if you want to play games on the big screen, the vita is made for people who game on the go, or at least not in front of a t.v. HDMI is a great feature, but sony would have to invent a whole new UI so that you could use the menu on the T.V. Instead there is cloud saving and remote play for those of us who have a ps3. Its one small feature that really shouldn't make you completely change your mind about buying a vita.

3) External batteries easily solve that problem, theres even a clunky, but usefull power grip that is only 25$ and it triples the battery life.

The only thing I can think of thats going to be added to a slim version is better battery life, better screen and cameras and 4G. I don't think SCE will make major changes that will affect performance, because thats what they did with the psp and ps3, they just added more extra features that didn't really affect the performance.

Message 3 of 26 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 28, 2012

MuffynTop wrote:

#1. No Gorilla Glass (seriously not even an oleophbic coating to reduce smudges)

#3. Battery life (not replaceable battery) Lithion Ion checmically dgreades even under perfect care in 1 year 100% will only be 80% and goes down hill from that.

Overall I am really looking forward to the Vita Slim, when they switch to a 32nm or 22nm CPU die which will siginifcantly improve the battery life. Or at least add in Gorilla Glass 2.

sorry you cant buy a psp vita because no such thing exists. there is only a ps vita or playstation vita. oh and about 3. my psp go I had since launch battery has not degraded and that was 3 years ago.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 4 of 26 (449 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 28, 2012

MuffynTop wrote:

#1 I was told that Corning does make the material that covers the screen. Although it isn't called Gorilla Glass, the properties are simular, it is scratch and fingerprint resistant.

#3 I believe the battery life is user replaceable, someone posted instructions how to do so not too long ago. Just like the DS3 controller, it can be done, but most people probably won't be doing it.

Message 5 of 26 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Jan 28, 2012

First of all thee is no such thing as a PSP Vita so you wouldn't be able to buy one anyway. Regsrds the Vita in terms of the screen I couldn't care less. If you're that worried get a screen protector. In my opinion it's not a deal breaker. HDMI out is pointless and doesn't make sense for the Vita. Other then watching videos and movies it has no use. I tried connecting my iPad and iPhone using HDMI to my TV but it was so cumbersome I don't do it anymore. As far as the battery is concerned it would be nice if it was user replaceable but with the rear touch screen it would have been hard if not impossible to implement. At the end of the day it's your loss if you don't buy one.

Message 6 of 26 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jan 28, 2012

As far as I see it, gorilla glass may have interfered with the touchscreen, that's why they chose not to use it. There could be a million reasons why they didn't use it, not the least of which being they licensed the OLED from Samsung. Samsung made the screen. Yes I can understand being worried about damaging that gorgeous screen, but guess what. That's why I'm getting screen protectors! Such a simple solution.

HDMI Out is pointless. I can see no use for it, especially with PS3 cross play. Some Vita games will have this neat little ability where you can save the game on the cloud and pick it up on the PS3, and vice versa! The first game to use this will be Warrior's Lair, formerly known as Ruin.

Sony will be releasing a portable charger sometime this spring. Look it up. It is the best solution you'll get for now for the battery life. For me, the battery life won't be an issue until I go down to Australia in the Winter. That's a long way off yet.

As you can see, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'd consider taking some anti-anxiety pills, seeing your shrink, and stop turning things into something they're not.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 7 of 26 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Jan 28, 2012

Incagneto wrote:

MuffynTop wrote:

sorry you cant buy a psp vita because no such thing exists. there is only a ps vita or playstation vita. oh and about 3. my psp go I had since launch battery has not degraded and that was 3 years ago.

I have a Go as well and it still holds a great charge.  And guess what by now im getting a Vita so it lasted as long as I needed it to.  I'm sure in 3 years we will have a new toy to upgrade to so no worries for me.

Muffyn, You may have your opinions but I do not share them.  IMO not good enough reasons not to get a Vita.  PSP had video out and I didnt use it at all.  I thought I would but didnt.

Message 8 of 26 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Jan 28, 2012

None of his reasons are justifiable reasons not to buy a Vita. The only one that even remotely is valid and even that really should not be an issue is the battery is not user replaceable. I've had every iPhone model since the original and both iPad models and never had an issue with them. I probably use them even more then I would use my Vita. They don't have user replaceable batteries either.

Message 9 of 26 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jan 28, 2012

Hey maybe if we continue poking holes in all of his so-called "justifiable reasons" (by now they must look like swiss cheese), he'll shut up and get a Vita like the rest of us sane folk.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 10 of 26 (449 Views)
0 Likes