Jan 01 2010
By: neoknt111 First Son 4 posts

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth and Classic: Playstation Store?

8 replies 2668 views Edited Jan 1, 2010

Hi guys! I'm Knight. I just bought a PSPgo. I've been looking around at the online store and I can't find Lenneth under PSP games or the original Valkyrie Profile under psone classics. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if there's any way I can find out when and if these will become available as online content.

P.S. if any of my heroes at Sony are listening I'd love to see all your previous titles end up being available online eventually. Great work so far, guys <3

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (2,668 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1321 posts

Re: Valkyrie Profile Lenneth and Classic: Playstation Store?

Jan 1, 2010
Some games will never be put on the Playstation Store. It is the copyright holders decision whether to put a game on the PSN or not. Many choose not to put their games on the PSN.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (2,668 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 1, 2010

Right, and Square has already chosen to put several of their titles on PSN already.

All I was asking was if this game specifically and maybe other previous psp titles were being planned for release and if there was any way to find out what's coming down the pike.

I think my question is a pretty legitimate one as well: It wouldn't make sense not to sell a previous psp title to new pspgo users. Pretty sure anyone who agreed in the past few years to make their game into a psp title would be eager to sell it again to new customers.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (2,668 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1321 posts

Jan 1, 2010
SquareEnix is holding back many games. Also Valkyrie Profile was made by Tri-Ace, Square Enix may not own the full rights to do whatever they want with the game.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (2,668 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13159 posts

Jan 1, 2010

neoknt111 wrote:

Right, and Square has already chosen to put several of their titles on PSN already.

All I was asking was if this game specifically and maybe other previous psp titles were being planned for release and if there was any way to find out what's coming down the pike.

I think my question is a pretty legitimate one as well: It wouldn't make sense not to sell a previous psp title to new pspgo users. Pretty sure anyone who agreed in the past few years to make their game into a psp title would be eager to sell it again to new customers.

Except for Sony, there has been little advance notice of when titles will be appearing in the Playstation Store.  Every week it is pretty much a mystery as to what will be added. The publishers haven't made decisions across the catalog about which of the back-catalog games will be coming to the Store, and when.  I think that the publishers are playing it by ear, and Sony probably prefers it this way because it encourages PSP owners to check the Playstation Store regularly for new releases. For the Store to be successful, Sony needs to get people in the habit of shopping there, the same way that they are with GameStop, Best Buy, Toys R Us, etc.

FF VII was a fan favorite and people had been clamoring for a re-release for several years.  I wasn't surprised to see that one, as it would obviously sell well after being out of the retail channel for so many years.  FF VIII was still available as a Playstation Greatest Hits game as recently as three years ago.  I suspect that it was selected because some of the characters from that game appear in the Kingdom Hearts series, which just released a new installment in Japan. No word on whether we will see FFIX, or the compilations with the earlier games, in the Store.  I'm doubtful about Lenneth.  It didn't sell well here the first time it was released.  The PSP version was already a remake of the first game, so I wouldn't expect the first game to be released either.

GKP

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (2,668 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 1, 2010

Well, that's one of the reasons I ask, GKP. The PSPgo and the PS3 are both making it more convenient to shop at the PS store. Plus you can't ever lose or break a title you've bought from the online store.

And, since it doesn't cost nearly anything but production to publish a game online it would seem like it would make sense to license every title possible to get people to come out for the online option.

On top of that, it's becoming a big lure for late comers and hardcore collectors like myself to get the PSPGo. It's a big deal to us to be able to get games we missed out on or already played to death. It's the lasting fans that make the franchise. That's something I think that Square, Sony, and all the others know very well.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (2,668 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13159 posts

Jan 1, 2010

I think you are overlooking some things.  First of all, publishers sell a very small percentage of their copies of new console games on-line.  It may make sense to you to offer as many titles as can be licensed for the Playstation Store, but you are viewing the situation from your own self-interest as a Go owner.  Obviously the publishers don't see it that way, as none of them, including Sony, have offered more than a small fraction of their back-catalog in the Playstation Store. Some publishers don't even offer all of their new titles in the Playstation Store. Go owners like to believe that putting old games in the Playstation Store is cheap and easy for publishers, but it actually isn't.  Console games aren't like PC software where there is a maintenance team.  Most console software, particularly for handhelds, has a single release when the product ships, and is never updated.  When the game is released, the entire development organization is dismantled.  They is usually no one left to do anything with the game, no matter how trivial.  Repackaging the code and documentation of a PSP or PS1 game for the Playstation Store requires building a new product team to dig up assets that haven't been touched for years, repackage them for DD, re-test them, and then release them to Sony.  It's an investment of tens of thousands of dollars per game, at least.  People think that all the publisher has to do is find a UMD or CD-ROM of the game, copy the game to disk, and scan a copy of the manual.  Re-releasing commercial software isn't that simple. You have to repeat a significant part the post-development work-flow, not to mention the increased support cost associated with re-releasing a game that hasn't had any significant number of new players in years.  And then there is the cost associated with negotiating a new distribution agreement with the development studio to release the game on-line. It isn't worth the cost if only a couple thousand people buy the game.

Hard-core collectors aren't numerous enough to make it profitable to distribute obscure older titles in the Playstation Store, unless the game has enough of a reputation that many people will still want to play it today.  In this economy, publishers will have little or no interest in losing money on re-released games in order to create a digital distribution market that may or may not bring more profits on newer games sometime in the future.  Sony doesn't disclose Playstation Store sales figures, but it is pretty clear that they aren't nearly high enough to justify such a strategy; and neither are sales of the Go, for that matter.   

GKP

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (2,668 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 1, 2010

Huh. I wasn't aware that you were an expert on commercial software development. Also I don't like being contradicted repeatedly... Something about asking for anything that makes people put on their monacle and start talking down to people.

The fact is, software loses value every year and owners of copyrights are looking for a way to make money with their titles all the time. They've already done it with a bunch of games on PSN. It gets cheaper every year and with more customers shopping online, it's going to get easier and more profitable every year. 

Even retreating to my most basic statement, which I didn't know was going to become an argument, they've already released a lot of previous titles so asking for another title or way to know who's thinking about it isn't unreasonable.

But hey, I'm not an expert. Maybe I should become a professor before I start trying to ask simple questions about videogames. : /

Message Edited by neoknt111 on 01-01-2010 09:10 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (2,668 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Aug 5, 2012

With your necro powers combined!

So yeah, it's been years since this topic was broached, and we've seen a LOT of good rpg's and even some more obscure titles hit the PSN.

SO!  This quesiton is for the mods/execs/anyone with power who reads this.

Will we ever see a PSN version of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (quite possibly the GREATEST game of all time)?  Heck, as the OP even inquired, I'd take the bone thrown of Valkyrie Profile (classic) if Sony could get that on the PSN.

Frankly I've purchased almost every PS1 release on the PSN on sheer principal that I want to support this format of bringing old classics to current gen tech.  I still own all of these great PS1 titles, and could easily pop them into my PS2 (which is backwards compatible still, yeah!) and play them.  But I still support Sony on this endeavor to bring us the old titles (yes I know I'm repeating myself now :smileytongue:).

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (2,532 Views)
0 Likes