Jan 03 2013
By: PAINPAS First Son 7 posts

Used game sales discs blocked?

7 replies 387 views Edited Jan 3, 2013
I am having a real hard time with this. My current favorite gaming brand is the patent holder for what has been a staple in gaming since its infancy. I understood the online pass but this patent is infuriating and makes gaming too difficult to get into. You have updates to deal with day one from patches etc.... Now you have to wait for authentications for disc based games that are limited to one console. I am in awe Sony and Nintendo will be the champ again to everyone's amazement and chagrin. Please don't do this Sony for the PS business sake especially in America where the media will have your grave stone ready and articles written faster than you can blink. Yes, even if MS does the same... Sony will be blamed for introducing and patenting the technology and they will play up all the XBL services, marketing and propaganda. This is SUICIDAL Sony. SONY you don't have enough support to pull this off. The American media who do not understand international business or laws have no idea that companies are like countries and have no real loyalties to there head quarters beyond memories. Especially if they make more money abroad than at "home". Sony do not make this move please. Have Shuhei Yoshida tweet that the patent was filed to prevent others from using a method they have no desire to use.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (387 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: Used game sales discs blocked?

Jan 3, 2013

For Sony team if you want to know what the public thinks about this find. Also IGN have been the best American website for PS without a doubt getting on them for reporting is not the issue because Neogaf broke this story first. Beyond!

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (381 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
25947 posts

Jan 3, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (371 Views)
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Jan 4, 2013

i don't really care about this because i buy all my games new , only thing i wonder about it s probably gonna be like game sharing ,limited to 2 consoles need to login to friends ps3 and activate ?

i don't have a pc i use ps3 browser
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (363 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 15, 2013

PAINPAS wrote:
I am having a real hard time with this. My current favorite gaming brand is the patent holder for what has been a staple in gaming since its infancy. I understood the online pass but this patent is infuriating and makes gaming too difficult to get into. You have updates to deal with day one from patches etc.... Now you have to wait for authentications for disc based games that are limited to one console. I am in awe Sony and Nintendo will be the champ again to everyone's amazement and chagrin. Please don't do this Sony for the PS business sake especially in America where the media will have your grave stone ready and articles written faster than you can blink. Yes, even if MS does the same... Sony will be blamed for introducing and patenting the technology and they will play up all the XBL services, marketing and propaganda. This is SUICIDAL Sony. SONY you don't have enough support to pull this off. The American media who do not understand international business or laws have no idea that companies are like countries and have no real loyalties to there head quarters beyond memories. Especially if they make more money abroad than at "home". Sony do not make this move please. Have Shuhei Yoshida tweet that the patent was filed to prevent others from using a method they have no desire to use.

Sony may have patented a new technology that may appear to look like it would completely block used games but Sony hasn't offically announced anything about what its actual use will be for. It can be used for anything, for example:

My guess is, this could be a new feature. Sony could be introducing a new way how we own our game content for the next generation system. This patent could be introducing a "Disk to HDD Transfer" feature that allows users the option to burn their copies of games to their HDD for improved loading (especially if Sony decides to go with SATA 3 on the next gen console). With an option like this, it gives users the freedom of how they want to store their content - be it on disk or HDD. When a game disk has been burned onto a console's HDD, the game disk will be locked to the system to prevent others from using the same disk (obviously for anti-piracy reasons) and in order to make the disk usable again, the user must insert the disk into the console the game was burned to and once authenticated and recognized by the system, the user must delete the burned game software on the HDD and it would unlock the disk to be used again and/or be used on other consoles.

Unfortunately if Sony did go with something like this, it would make selling and buying used games much harder for retailers because it would be dificult for retailers like Gamestop to discern wether the disk is locked or not when traded-in for store credit. Evidently, this would slow down selling of used games. Of course Gamestop and other retailers could just create authentication proceedures to see if the traded game is locked or not (They may try to insert the game disk into a system to check before giving store credit). So selling used games wont be entirely ruled out, as long as you know that the disk is unlocked, you can still buy used games.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3079 posts

Jan 16, 2013

This has been rumored for a while now...

The rumor is that all console companies will be doing this, along with no backwards compatibility...

They will sell a device that you plug into the new console that has the cpu or cell inside to play whatever game you wanna play from psone to ps3....

They are looking to make as much money out of us as possible this time around..

But it the rumors are true the console will be the coolest of all of them so far...

Think (AR)....

But also most of the rumored tech implements are what is going to kill the console gaming genre if true..

All of the rumors don't have to be implemented to ruin console gaming, it will only take 1 rumor to be true...

But rumors are just rumors after all, and we will have to wait and see when they actually show the consoles and say what is implemented in them..

And wait till they release them for sale and wait for the first customer to get on here and say what they actually did...

Because we all know they will change a lot from the first showing till the actual sale...

Just like the ps3 did, it went from having linux installed on it to not having it installed at retail...

Photobucket

750GB SSHD :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Jan 20, 2013
I think it's retarded myself! Personal I think it may even be a legal option! Obviously the original owner isn't using it anymore (Legally) & you still pay tax' on New & Used! It's like saying you can buy a used car but can't drive it in public!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Jan 20, 2013

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (118 Views)
0 Likes